Ultrasone Fan Club! (Roll Call)
Nov 28, 2012 at 4:42 PM Post #1,411 of 2,310
Quote:
Comparing the three (lucky for you - I've owned them all and like them all) - the HFI-2400 are darker and much bassier, the DJ100 are very mid-centric and n-shaped, the PRO2900 are more forward, spacious, bassy, bright, and extended. The 2900 imho are better than the DJ100, but if you don't like the more forward/aggressive sound or the coolness then you may not feel the same way. If you want to "grow up" from the DJ100 though, the 2900 are not the choice (they're the "grow up" from the 2400). The "grow up" from the DJ100 imho will come from Sony or Grado. Very much out of the scope of this thread. And remember I haven't heard the Signature Pro - for all I know they would also be that headphone.

that sums up the 2900s well (at least the way I heard it).. that's why it wasn't for me personally.

Nov 28, 2012 at 4:55 PM Post #1,413 of 2,310
Yes Grados are certainly a very personal choice. Try Sony MDR-F1 or Audio-Technica ATH-ESW9 if you can. Both fit into your description of what you like about DJ100 imho.

After Purchasing the sig pro, i will try to avoid any temptation so I think I should keep myself far away from here :D

Nov 28, 2012 at 6:25 PM Post #1,414 of 2,310
Quote:
I think in both cases we're talking over-exaggeration. The PRO2900, IME, are neither as "extremely V-shaped" as they're type-cast, nor as "flat" as the measurements indicate (remember that FR is one of many kinds of measurements). I would describe the 2900 as cold, clear, aggressive, bassy, and somewhat bright. The mids are present, but again they're a cold headphone - IME some vocals sounds absolutely heavenly through them, but others sound kind of lifeless. I agree with both of you on having multiple headphones. As far as the 2400 vs 2900 debate - I found the 2900 are tighter and faster than the 2400; the titanium drivers seem to be the contributing factor.
If you want a "better 2400" (as blunt as that is), the 2900 are that headphone. If you want something very different, especially something that has a very warm or romantic presentation, the 2900 are not that headphone.
Oh, and no need to buy the 2900 to get the case - Ultrasone sells the PROline case for ~$40 on their webshop.

Well, in my case, I'm not over-exaggerating at all when I say they they have strong and often too bright highs. I would agree with that description, except I'd replace "somewhat bright" with "very bright". I'm not arguing that they're super bright for everyone, just for me. The PRO 900/2900 is the most controversial headphone I've seen on Head-Fi just because of the highs, and I think a good bit of that comes from age differences; the majority of teenagers are going to find them a lot harsher than older listeners.

Nov 29, 2012 at 12:47 AM Post #1,416 of 2,310
Quote:
What are the differences between the sound of the dj 1 and the dj 1 pro? I cannot make up my mind about which one i want to get.

The DJ1 is the slightly louder HFI-580 counterpart, while the DJ1 Pro is the Pro 550 counterpart.

Nov 29, 2012 at 11:53 AM Post #1,418 of 2,310
Well, in my case, I'm not over-exaggerating at all when I say they they have strong and often too bright highs. I would agree with that description, except I'd replace "somewhat bright" with "very bright". I'm not arguing that they're super bright for everyone, just for me. The PRO 900/2900 is the most controversial headphone I've seen on Head-Fi just because of the highs, and I think a good bit of that comes from age differences; the majority of teenagers are going to find them a lot harsher than older listeners.

Ultrasone actually has a research-backed opinion on this - and it isn't age-based, but it is user-based. Ear shape. They found that for some users, based on ear shape, S-LOGIC contributes to a "very bright" and "very aggressive" presentation (that makes the headphones unpleasing). This isn't speculative either - they conducted an ITU standardized inquiry to demonstrate this with strong confidence.

Nov 29, 2012 at 2:15 PM Post #1,421 of 2,310
Quote:
Thats very interesting, I always thought that the DJ 1 pro was just a circular larger DJ 1! Are the pro 550 good for edm?

Both are good for EDM, with the DJ1 being more fun, due to being based on the HFI series, and the DJ1 Pro being more balanced. Ultrasones in general excel with EDM. Also, do keep in mind the DJ1 has S-Logic Plus while the DJ1 Pro has S-Logic, with the former slightly increasing the 3D soundstage, although the difference isn't enough to recommend one over the other purely based on such difference.

Quote:
My pro 900 are distorting at high volumes.... What do I do?

What onboard audio chip/soundcard/external DAC are you using? Are you using an amp and if so, which one? What volume settings do you have?

Nov 29, 2012 at 3:11 PM Post #1,423 of 2,310
Quote:
Ultrasone actually has a research-backed opinion on this - and it isn't age-based, but it is user-based. Ear shape. They found that for some users, based on ear shape, S-LOGIC contributes to a "very bright" and "very aggressive" presentation (that makes the headphones unpleasing). This isn't speculative either - they conducted an ITU standardized inquiry to demonstrate this with strong confidence.

I hadn't heard about this - but it's interesting.. Since the drivers are positioned off center it makes sense that the S-Logic could attribute to different interpretations of audio based on ear shape.. for me the 900/2900 were very aggressive whereas the Signature Pros were only slightly so. Either way - guess my ears are not a good match for Ultrasone 
rolleyes.gif

Nov 29, 2012 at 3:36 PM Post #1,424 of 2,310
OK The sig pro is paid and will be soon mine . :)

Nov 29, 2012 at 3:56 PM Post #1,425 of 2,310
I hadn't heard about this - but it's interesting.. Since the drivers are positioned off center it makes sense that the S-Logic could attribute to different interpretations of audio based on ear shape.. for me the 900/2900 were very aggressive whereas the Signature Pros were only slightly so. Either way - guess my ears are not a good match for Ultrasone :rolleyes: .

That's roughly what Koenig speculated - the off-set is meant to provide improved spatial presentation, but the side-effect is that there's apparently a not insubstantial group of the population (I think they found something like 30-40% of their test population) that will not "jive" with the setup. And they demonstrate one of the biggest problems of measurements-as-truth - just because they look "relatively flat" through a given filter or to a given measurement rig, doesn't mean they're universally perceived as such.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back