Ultrasone Edition 8's "Yay or Nay"?
Mar 26, 2010 at 8:49 PM Post #61 of 78
Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter Pinna /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Personally, I would prefer that Ultrasone build the Ed 8 with a detachable cable. This would cause me to be more inclined to buy one of them. The logic of the Pro series' detachable cable has to do with the idea that they were built originally to be used in production situations which can be somewhat physically demanding (and possibly destructive) on (to) headphone cables potentially causing the need for replacement of them.

I wish I could just order a replacement cable that's longer. Now, I'd have to ship it to have it done.

Mar 26, 2010 at 8:50 PM Post #62 of 78
The stock cable is for sure too short.

Mar 26, 2010 at 9:03 PM Post #64 of 78
Quote taken from post by Cjfrbw:

"Anything that can make an ipod with mp3s sound hi end and scale up all the way to a tubed vinyl system seems a pretty good thing to me."

I would have thought that the Ed 8 would greatly reveal the inadequacies of an .mp3. While I can listen to and enjoy (relatively speaking) a well recorded .mp3 with my Pro 750, it certainly does not sound as good as a well recorded .wav file. I would not go so far as to call the .mp3 listening experience an audiophile worthy experience when listening on the Pro 750. The GIGO concept is strong with the Pro 750. Having never heard the Ed 8, I thought they would be even less forgiving (in a GIGO sense) then the Pro 750.

Mar 26, 2010 at 9:07 PM Post #65 of 78
Actually, I like the way the stock cable has a "short end". I can tie it directly to a nearby source like an ipod or the sony e book reader. The long cord can stay attached to the main system and serve as an umbilicus for walk around purposes. Also, it creates a "break free" point for the inevitable moments when I step on the long cable or it gets under something, without stressing the main cable too much.
I find I am detaching the short cable from the long, walking around with the short one dangling, then reattaching it when I sit down. That is a reasonable convenience factor.

Mar 26, 2010 at 9:16 PM Post #66 of 78
Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter Pinna /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Quote taken from post by Cjfrbw:

"Anything that can make an ipod with mp3s sound hi end and scale up all the way to a tubed vinyl system seems a pretty good thing to me."

I would have thought that the Ed 8 would greatly reveal the inadequacies of an .mp3. While I can listen to and enjoy (relatively speaking) a well recorded .mp3 with my Pro 750, it certainly does not sound as good as a well recorded .wav file. I would not go so far as to call the .mp3 listening experience an audiophile worthy experience when listening on the Pro 750. The GIGO concept is strong with the Pro 750. Having never heard the Ed 8, I thought they would be even less forgiving (in a GIGO sense) then the Pro 750.

I don't know, not having a vast array of headphones to listen to. However, connecting the Ed8 directly into an ipod with my mp3 or my sony e book reader is quite a wonderful listening experience, much more than I would have suspected from the source. Plugging the ipod into my "hunk a junk" 6v6 headphone amp or the Manley 300b certainly improves the situation, but not nearly as much as one might surmise.
I never thought I would consider an mp3 an enjoyable, viable source, but I am listening with the Ed8 directly through the ipod as I type this and it can make me forget what I am listening too and enjoy the music quite fully.

Mar 26, 2010 at 9:31 PM Post #67 of 78
Edition 8 is first and foremost built for portable use. And for music enjoyment so a bit different design goals then the Pro line.

Would been nice with a detacable cable surely though that would probably also not benefit all. Then we would get "those cables aren´t hard soldered I must recable"
biggrin.gif

I am having fun with my new DAC19... It´s not quite the home run I hoped for it outputs an insane amount of bass but the ED 8 does an admirable job keeping it all in check. The Pro 900, DX 1000 struggles though. I haven´t noticed that improved soundstage on those maybe due to the bass issues but on the ED 8 they certainly have come to life now. No sense of that over dampedness I had before and a much better room feel for the music around me. Get a lot out of head experiences now with it.

Mar 26, 2010 at 11:38 PM Post #68 of 78
Quote:

Originally Posted by oqvist /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am having fun with my new DAC19... It´s not quite the home run I hoped for it outputs an insane amount of bass but the ED 8 does an admirable job keeping it all in check. The Pro 900, DX 1000 struggles though. I haven´t noticed that improved soundstage on those maybe due to the bass issues but on the ED 8 they certainly have come to life now. No sense of that over dampedness I had before and a much better room feel for the music around me. Get a lot out of head experiences now with it.

Ha! Now you can understand why some of us wonder why anyone would want more bass than what's coming out of the Ed8.

A great DAC shouldn't be 'producing' a lot of bass. It really should be transparent and leave all to the Amp, which again, if really good, shouldn't be doing too much there either. It shouldn't be adjusting the tonal balance. Your marked differences in experiences with DAC's is interesting.

Mar 27, 2010 at 12:47 AM Post #69 of 78
Quote:

Originally Posted by nonsupremous /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hell Yay for me. They are easily the best headphone I have ever had on my head. But you REALLY have to enjoy a sound sig that puts a thump on the low end. They are fingerprint magnets for sure....I wipe mine off every time I use them.

I wouldn't say that you are comparing these to a Rolex. Actually a Rolex is a horrible time piece. Keeps worse time than a 10 dollar watch. The Edition 8, does look great, but it's a high performer also, which sets it apart from the other Bling Bling headphones in the world.

That said, I would imagine it's hard for anyone to sink over 1k on headphones....even if you have saved and have it to spend. It took me a few months after I had finally saved up the money to recover emotionally!!
icon10.gif

The number on my edition 8's I think is 316. I wonder what they are up to now?

most mechanical watches will not keep the time of a $10 watch so thats a horrible comparison .... but in 50-60years let me know which watch will still be ticking .... i say this not as a rolex fanboy either
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 27, 2010 at 1:37 AM Post #72 of 78
I wish everyone could hear how good these sound driven by the Leben CS300X. It's been just beguiling me for the last several weeks. Absolutely world class sonics.

Mar 27, 2010 at 2:07 AM Post #73 of 78
I read that some are saying these have a small form factor but the pictures seem
to indicate they are big and thick looking, which would be OK for HOME use. One person
said that being a guy, that he wouldn't wear them outside. Since I would be using
them for my commute, what do the rest of you think of how they look - would you
wear them outside or do you think they kind of make one look just a little too dorky?

Mar 27, 2010 at 5:24 AM Post #74 of 78
Quote:

Originally Posted by Timbre /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I read that some are saying these have a small form factor but the pictures seem
to indicate they are big and thick looking, which would be OK for HOME use. One person
said that being a guy, that he wouldn't wear them outside. Since I would be using
them for my commute, what do the rest of you think of how they look - would you
wear them outside or do you think they kind of make one look just a little too dorky?

the edition8's are pretty small ... smaller than all the cans in my sig

Users who are viewing this thread

Back