Ultrasone Edition 8 too much treble? Will an amp dramatically change the sound profile?
Mar 19, 2013 at 4:37 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

danyal711

New Head-Fier
I recently bought a pair of the Ultrasone Edition 8s. I also bought the Woo Audio WA7 but it's backordered so I haven't received it yet. For now I'm listening to the Ultrasone's plugged directly into my Macbook Air.

I'm finding that the sound has far too much treble for my taste. The mids/bass seem very suppressed with the top end over powering everything else.

I'm wondering, does this have more to do with the source, the headphones or both? Would my best bet be to return them and try something else or wait until I get the amp to decide?

Thanks,
Danyal

Mar 19, 2013 at 5:11 PM Post #2 of 3
The headphones are your culprit.  Take a look at the link I provide which compared the Ultrasone E8 to the LCD-3.  The LCD-3 I consider to be quite polite in the treble.

http://graphs.headphone.com/graphCompare.php?graphType=0&graphID[]=3431&graphID[]=1053

See how the E8 has some serious peaks at 4 kHz and 7 kHz?  Those are some seriously troubling peaks which some are going to find quite fatiguing and possibly sibilant.  Burn in can help sibilance, but if you find the treble not to your liking your are going to either have to EQ it or trade in for another set of headphones.

Take a look at the 500 Hz Square Wave Response:

http://graphs.headphone.com/graphCompare.php?graphType=4&graphID[]=1053

See how there is a double peak on the square wave?  This is also a sign of an issue with treble.

At least they are not as bright sounding as a Grado RS-1i, but the issue is best solved by changing headphones.  You could tailor an amp that rolls of the treble, but to me that is a sign of a poorly designed amp.  You may want to try something like the Denon AH-D2000, AKG K550, or even Sennheiser HD-650.  The latter of course driven by a nice tube amp like the WA3.

Try dropping the 4 kHz and 7kHz EQ settings down 4dB each and see if that helps out.

Mar 19, 2013 at 5:16 PM Post #3 of 3
Quote:
I recently bought a pair of the Ultrasone Edition 8s. I also bought the Woo Audio WA7 but it's backordered so I haven't received it yet. For now I'm listening to the Ultrasone's plugged directly into my Macbook Air.

I'm finding that the sound has far too much treble for my taste. The mids/bass seem very suppressed with the top end over powering everything else.

I'm wondering, does this have more to do with the source, the headphones or both? Would my best bet be to return them and try something else or wait until I get the amp to decide?

Thanks,
Danyal

If you want Edition 8 sound without the harsh treble and less midrange recession,  I recommend the Ultrasone Signature PRO.  If  you prefer bigger bass, the Ultrasone Signature DJ is also a solid option.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back