Ultrasone alternative recommendation?
Dec 8, 2014 at 8:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

highball

New Head-Fier
I'm really liking my HFI-680's right now but want to get another pair of closed cans so that I can keep one at home and another at the office.  I'd like to find something that keeps many of the qualities I like about the 680's but also rounds out my collection.  I also own:
  1. Alessandro MS-1
  2. Shure SE-2015 (IEM's)

What I like about the 680's
  1. Awesome clean/tight bass
  2. Soundstage is decent
  3. Very balanced and clear across the spectrum

What I would change:
  1. More (but still tight) bass if possible
  2. Highs can be quite harsh & sibilance is exacerbated
  3. Clamping force is a bit high, and the headband pad gets really irritating after about 45 mins (practically leaves a divot in my scalp)
  4. Would like to find something a little more portable and/or with iPhone remote/mic options if possible, but really neither are a huge concern for me

Will be listening to
  1. EDM - mostly progressive (think Eric Prydz) and trance (of all varieties), a bit of house, but no dubstep (50% of the time)
  2. Rock - indy rock, classic rock, grunge, jam bands, blues-rock (40%)
  3. Folk, blues, bluegrass, country, jazz, classical (10%)

Used with an iPhone, iPod, and laptop and occasionally an Audioengine D1 (fed via optical or usb).  Mostly while sitting at a desk, occasionally traveling, in an airplane, etc.

Looking for something under $150 but could possibly stretch to $200.  I've considered the ATH-M50 and some v-Moda's but am not really convinced either seems to be what I'm looking for, at least for the price.  Would appreciate any recommendations.  Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back