Ultrasone 580s vs 680s
Feb 26, 2010 at 6:30 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

yesitseasynow

New Head-Fier
There's some stuff in the forums on 580s vs the 780s and 680s vs the 780s, but very little about those two side by side. I'm looking at getting one of these as my first high-end pair, I want closed headphones to keep my music in and other stuff out and these just seemed like the most well-regarded cans in my price range. I listen mostly to rock, but a little bit of everything really. Do you guys have any suggestions in regards to those two? Or should I look somewhere else besides Ultrasone HFIs?

Feb 26, 2010 at 6:51 AM Post #3 of 10
HFI-780 are apparently just the HFI-680 with a bass boost, which takes over the mids quite a bit, but it still sounds great. The HFI-680 are probably your best bet.

Feb 26, 2010 at 6:53 AM Post #4 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by stang /img/forum/go_quote.gif
HFI-780 are apparently just the HFI-680 with a bass boost, which takes over the mids quite a bit, but it still sounds great. The HFI-680 are probably your best bet.

Hehe I would say the 780s are the full effect, the 680s about 2/3rds. No lingering mid-bass with mine.

Jul 1, 2011 at 11:21 PM Post #8 of 10
bumping this to see if anyone as comparisons between the 580's and 680's. Still thinking about these two. I like balanced BUT I crave strong bass these days, although I'm not a basshead. Wondering if the 680's may be too bass-light. 

Jul 2, 2011 at 4:39 PM Post #9 of 10
Quote:
bumping this to see if anyone as comparisons between the 580's and 680's. Still thinking about these two. I like balanced BUT I crave strong bass these days, although I'm not a basshead. Wondering if the 680's may be too bass-light. 

If you're m50's aren't doing it for, yeah probably. I'd say don't get them unless you're looking for something like a more aggressive m50 with less bass and a little more treble.

580's sound like what you want to me, the combination of the bass quality of the 680's plus bigger drivers should be pretty awesome. But if they're like the 680 lower vocals will get lost in the bass a bit, looking at response graphs of Ultrasones that seems to be a common trait.

Jul 2, 2011 at 7:47 PM Post #10 of 10

Quote:
Quote:

If you're m50's aren't doing it for, yeah probably. I'd say don't get them unless you're looking for something like a more aggressive m50 with less bass and a little more treble.

580's sound like what you want to me, the combination of the bass quality of the 680's plus bigger drivers should be pretty awesome. But if they're like the 680 lower vocals will get lost in the bass a bit, looking at response graphs of Ultrasones that seems to be a common trait.

Awesome, thanks for the informative answer. Yeah I think the 580's are what I'm looking for, atlhough the possibility of getting them now has been put on hold since I found a great deal/steal on HFI-700's. Pretty random, I know.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back