Ultrasone 580 Vs Ultrasone DJ1 Pro vs Klipsch image ones
Mar 30, 2011 at 11:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

rage3324

100+ Head-Fier
I am looking for a new pair of closed headphones for travel purposes. My budget is around $150-$200.

The candidates:

Ultrasone 580
Ultrasone DJ1
Ultrasone DJ1 pro
Klipsch image ones
Audio Technica m50s
Audio Technica anc7b

What I want:

Good for movies and music (rock mostly)
Clear highs, solid mids, punchy lows but with enough impact for movies
Good noise cancellation (not powered) for flights
Portable - Prefer a set that folds and has a slim design
Includes a case is a nice plus

The DJ1 pros are my top choice at the moment, however I am not sure what the difference between the DJ1 pros and DJ1s are? Also, what is the difference between the 580s and the DJ1s? Based on portability, the Klipsch seem to be the logical choice..

Mar 31, 2011 at 4:29 AM Post #2 of 20
I think you should stick with DJ1 Pro, which has much better separation and soundstage. I like its performance on movies and live music very much. Dj1 PRO has more balance sound compared to Dj1 or 580, especially DJ1 which is bass heavy phone. But don't Dj1 Pro wrong, which bass still can get quite low and punchy after appropriate burn-in. Two things you need to concern are size and isolation. Dj1 Pro could be the biggest one among those headphones and it has slightly less isolation, also only compared to Dj1 and 580, due to less clamp force. Its isolation is about equal to M50.

Mar 31, 2011 at 6:33 AM Post #3 of 20
The Klipsch is horrible and stands no choice against the Ultrasone lineup, if you ask me. The Image One can't control its overly exaggerated bass.

The DJ1 pro is exactly the same with different accessories and more comfortable pads.
I assume the DJ series has an even stronger bass boost opposed to the HFI and PRO series. Might be too much.

Mar 31, 2011 at 9:31 AM Post #4 of 20
How big are the DJ1 Pro cups? Any headphones comparable to the Klipsch in size and design that offer ultrasone quality?

Mar 31, 2011 at 9:35 AM Post #5 of 20
All Ultrasone cans are similar in size. You can take a look at my avatar to see how big the 780s are.

I wish there were any on-ear design that would allow as punchy bass and soundstage like the Ultrasones. I believe it's not possible, though.

Edit: You might want to consider the Shure SRH 840, too, although they sound darker (highs rolled off more).

Mar 31, 2011 at 9:46 AM Post #6 of 20
Best to get DJ1.  DJ1 = 580 apart from coiled cord.  Pro 550 = DJ1 Pro.

DJ1 has more bass than DJ1 Pro and read the pro series requires amping.  DJ1 impedance 32 Ohm.  DJ1 Pro Impedance 64 Ohm.

Mar 31, 2011 at 9:52 AM Post #7 of 20
Good call. I do prefer the wider soundstage so the DJ1 Pros sound better for me, however I will be using them with an ipod and ipad. I have no interest in getting an amp. My only fear is the size of the headphones. I would love something more sleek..

Mar 31, 2011 at 11:45 AM Post #8 of 20
Are there any sleek options like the Klipsch or Bose headphone lines that are actually good and worth the price?

Mar 31, 2011 at 3:46 PM Post #10 of 20

Quote:
Possibly Phiaton MS400's might work for you, then. They're pretty sleek, but they do skirt a strange line around being circumaural or supra aural. 

Not a huge fan of the red, but they do fit the bill. Where do they rank against the ultrasones in terms of SQ and isolation?

Mar 31, 2011 at 3:55 PM Post #11 of 20
There's also a newer fully black version if you'd prefer that http://www.amazon.com/Phiaton-MS-400-Headphones-Black/dp/B0048FSDRU

They should both isolate decently, according to headphone.com Phiaton damps high frequencies (>4kHz) a bit better. Ultrasones have a bit more treble presenceness, MS400 a bit warmer sounding (more laid-back high frequencies), so up to your preference.

Mar 31, 2011 at 4:21 PM Post #12 of 20

Quote:
There's also a newer fully black version if you'd prefer that http://www.amazon.com/Phiaton-MS-400-Headphones-Black/dp/B0048FSDRU

They should both isolate decently, according to headphone.com Phiaton damps high frequencies (>4kHz) a bit better. Ultrasones have a bit more treble presenceness, MS400 a bit warmer sounding (more laid-back high frequencies), so up to your preference.

I do like the black ones. I am just bit worried about the less treble presence coming from Grados. But they are a very good choice and my best choice so far if I decide against the DJ1 pros

Apr 1, 2011 at 12:17 PM Post #13 of 20
Any other suggestions?

Apr 1, 2011 at 12:44 PM Post #15 of 20

Quote:
Monster Beats - everyone is getting one of those.  Look even Thierry Henry.  And Craig Oliver, David Cameron's communication Chief outside number 10.

Hahaha hilarious!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back