ULTRA-portable dac/amp solutions for new phones (no headphone jack)
Aug 1, 2018 at 4:39 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Niroc

New Head-Fier
Hi everyone.

With modern phones predominantly excluding a 3.5mm headphone jack, a lot of us who can’t be F’d carrying around an extra device, or an amp/dac that doubles our carry load, are looking for a HIGHLY portable, simple, and easy option to power our HiFi grade headphones. Just a little extra juice and some good processing to bring expensive headphones up to scratch (generally lower impedance).

This is designed to be iPhone-centric, but may aid all looking for this kind of solution.

Please add any suggestions you can think of!

With that said, I have created a list of amps (most with dac) that wouldn’t be a pain in the ass to keep with your headphones in your pocket.

I’ve included some short notes about each: size (s) from 1 to 3 (1 being smallest); r (review) being the general favour of the amp according to most sites (1 to 5 with 5 being lauded); the common remarks about the amp; and how much it approximately costs (au = Australia dollar, us = USA).

Fiio K1: s2, r3, mild amplification but lacks soundstage and width. $60au

Fiio i1: s1, r3.5. Ok reviews, with decent dac sound-signature but not providing much amplification, smallest option. $60au

Cozoy rei: s3, r4.5. wide soundstage and very well priced. $550us

WRS Calyx PaT: s2.5, r4. Ok amp, good dac, and very well priced.$99us.

Ultrasone NAOS: s2, r3. Not many reviews, but decent word of mouth, smallest s2 on list, comes with cables and carry case. $299au

Cozoy Takt pro: s1.5, r4. Well reviewed for value and sound, amplification 1.5v at 32ohm, very sleek design. $160us

HRT dSp s1.5, r4. Well reviewed for value and sound well above price, could have better build quality/finish, some people reported unusual background noise. $150au

Audioquest Dragonfly (Black & Red). S2, r5. Very well known and regarded dac/amp with multiple generations, but needs to be connected via Apple lightning to USB dongle (recommended camera connector) which ads bulk etc. $140au, $275au

I’ve excluded a number of amps that a) were just a tad too big, b) had bad reviews, or c) weren’t reviewed or well known.

This is my first post as a thread starter of this kind, so if I’ve messed anything up, please be kind!

Cheers!

Aug 1, 2018 at 11:20 AM Post #2 of 7
Hello there !

For money, travel and moving issues I dropped from a PHA-3 / MDR-Z7 combo to a Fiio Q1 MK2 and Fiio F9 Pro.
They arrived yesterday, but pretty far I like them very much, the Q1 MK2 its super small, for the price its a no brainer, specially if you have DSD files or you want to play 24/192.

Otherwise, me personally, I'd go to a Dragonfly Red, although I think its totally overpriced and crimpled (Yes, audio quality is excellent nevertheless but 24/192 and DSD are a no go for Dragonfly's).

Aug 1, 2018 at 1:55 PM Post #3 of 7
Haven't tried it but the Audirect Beam looks like a good candidate:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/audirect-beam-dac-amp-for-android-ios-pc-mac.880821/

89fbe2_f99cda15979147a391d51a071c23c022~mv2.webp

Last edited:
Aug 6, 2018 at 12:36 PM Post #4 of 7
Add the Hidizs Sonata and Zorloo Zuperdac S...Nextdrive Spectra always looked interesting to me too.

Aug 5, 2020 at 7:17 AM Post #6 of 7

Users who are viewing this thread

Back