Ultra Mini Meet in Chicago ( 2/21/09 )
Feb 23, 2009 at 7:50 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

-=Germania=-

Headphoneus Supremus
This was an ultra mini meet in the real sense.
The weather in Chicago was pretty bad with lots of snow and it was a bit impomtu as well.

At the meet was: Keithgdrb (Keith), Boom_Shaka_Laka (Steve), and Myself (Stacy)

That is to say that there was still plenty of gear to listen to!

I spent most of my time listening to the MP3X Slam and I have to say that there is something distinctly relaxing about it. The sound is forward and sweet. Most of the time, the MP3X Slam was being fed with an iPod which was changed a bit later on.

We did discover something that was a bit startling.
First of all we were feeding the MP3X Slam and my VERY modded Millett ($250 in parts costs plus tubes) with the same chain as it has two outputs: Marantz CD5001 -> Optical -> Zhaolu 2.5 with DIY output stage using 4.7uf Audiophiler 3% film caps. Both amps were being fed with Iron Lung Jellyfish power cords and both amps were using stepped potentiometers.
Steve matched the volume and used my Modified Sony CD1000 as the headphones.
Without doing super extensive listening (just a bit of going back and forth), it is just too close to call. IMO the Millett had more treble detail and soundstage while the MP3X had more bass and musicality. The MP3x was the more tubey sounding of the two. Believe me, this is NITPICKING even by audiophile standards. Overall I felt that the detail level between the two was the same.

Now, I feel that the Millett can't get much better. Lets be realistic here, it is a low voltage tube-mosfet hybrid using tiny plate tubes (looks like a 12ax7 in a 6au6 size). This amp is a 3 channel design (active ground) with a customized higher current PSU, different parts, different values and additional parts than the BOM or the typically recommended build. I still have some more adjusting on the cathode to do with regards to gain (right now I am using 470uf panasonic caps with a 10K cathode resistor, but the resistor will be changed out for something larger to give some more breathing room on the potentiometer with my CD1000. This combo gives you roughly the same amount of gain as the BOM 2k resistor with no cathode bypass capacitor). To those who heard this amp in November - it is a much changed and different amp than what you heard and the CD1000 sound different as well (more bass, more resolution).

The Sony F1 was an interesting can and shared a similar soundstage to that of my CD1000. The problem was a lack of resolution, and complete lack of bass without enough texture. Still, I think it is something worth reccomending to someone who listens to a lot of classical music.

The ASL (Antique Sound Labs) was a good sounding amp and for how small it is, very good indeed. Steve was saying that he used his for road trips and hotels. It is a silky texture with nice decay. Very pleasant to listen to, especially with jazz.

The Stax(Keith) were running out of my Yamaha CA-600 and using one of my iPod Docks as the source. I had the same setup and sold it recently, so I knew how it would sound and it did sound that way. Keith almost walked away with the Yamaha though!
I cannot reccomend the TOTL Yamaha Natural Sound Stereo Amps from the late seventies enough. If you think that the amp section sounds good, just wait till you try the preamp outs on this thing. IMO the best pre-amp out there under $700. Seriously, you NEED to hear the preamp outs on these. Unfortunately, the power amp section while good in its own right cannot touch the preamp. The Phonostage onboard is also decent and has 3 settings (MM/MC/unknown 30k Ceramic?) for whatever cartridge you have. I just recorded some very vintage vinyl and if you want to hear a small sample PM me.

Keith, it is always good to see you and I am impressed by how far you have come in such a short time.

Steve, it was great to meet you and the hours of talking never seemed to end - hope the Dog was Good!

Cheers and Happy Listening!

Feb 23, 2009 at 3:35 PM Post #2 of 6
Very nice to read. Did you take any pics by chance?
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 23, 2009 at 6:15 PM Post #3 of 6
Steve put his impressions in the meet thread.

Here it is copied over:
Quote:

Originally Posted by Boom Shaka Laka /img/forum/go_quote.gif
3's good company for this truely MINI-meet. Germania has it goin on w/ all her cable mods, hdph mods and DIY Millet amp mod. I urge anyone to give her Millet mod a good listen. Additionally, her Sony CS1000 mod was quite nice and just made my Sony F1 snd like crap with acoustic music. I've heard about the F1 mod but haven't tried it yet.

We made an interesting discovery at the 11th hr. I was first comparing 2 prs of IC's she made w/ subtle differences, then for grins A/B my modded ASL w/ matched pr of Mazda BQ5's and rare Mullard 12AX7. My ASL seemed like a good small tube hdph amp when sourced by iPod listening to jazz and acoustic tunes but suddenly I felt the OUCH as the modded Millet was full, spacious, and detailed. More shocking was when I A/B the Millet w/ my MPX3 Slam, but I kept it to myself and simply asked Germania to give a quick listen as she was wrapping up stuff. YES, in a ball park sort of way, THEY SOUNDED SIMILAR. Sure there's finer points to argue like silkier top end, bottom punch and forward sndstage from Snglpwr, but the overall presentation was remarkable alike. (I should have done the same comparison w/ different hdphs and see if the consistency remained, next meet).

With all the special tricks and trims Germania altered into the basic Millet DIY design, I would say she unknowingly voiced it to be a lighter version of the MPX3 SLAM and I was even using the Ken Rad VT 231 for output. The air and articulation were spot on and even the gain on her smaller amp was remarkably high, due in large part to her beefed up pwr supply. Everything had P2P wiring and true audiophile caps and resistors. The styling was good w/ some room for improvement, but I think the screws that stuck out on top versus being flush had a DIY charm factor.

I finally got my 1st listen to STAX thanks to Keithpgdrb and realized how unspacious I thought my HD650's really were, however, the HD's made up for what the STAX lacked in bottom end and punch. This comparison forces one to choose what one prefers regarding air, articulation, focus, speed and staging, notwithstanding a huge price point difference. I would add that the modded CS1000's have similar qualities to the STAX7 in air and mid detail yet offers a little more bass and relaxed presentation.

Finally, I liked Germania's direction w/ cable wiring, copper/silver single core combo w/ stranded copper grnd in a teflon dialectric which I think mirrors what Stephan Arts does w/ their HD cables. Plus, her fabric housing was better that Stephan's nylon jacket in durability and microphonics.

I couldn't believe how late we talked shop and how far down the Head-Fi rabbit hole we went till I got a call from my girl returning from work and asking me to bring the dog down for his night walk. Thankfully there was no mess to clean up but not feeding him put me in the dog house for the night.
frown.gif

Here's pics from the event.

Here are the pics he took:

14524d1235331085-edit-chicago-mini-meet-updated-location-21st-feb-head-fi-mini-meet-1.jpg

14525d1235331105-edit-chicago-mini-meet-updated-location-21st-feb-head-fi-mini-meet-2.jpg

14526d1235331143-edit-chicago-mini-meet-updated-location-21st-feb-head-fi-mini-meet-6.jpg

14527d1235331157-edit-chicago-mini-meet-updated-location-21st-feb-head-fi-mini-meet-8.jpg

14528d1235331234-edit-chicago-mini-meet-updated-location-21st-feb-head-fi-mini-meet-9.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back