wink.gif

Looked like an awesome meet.

Jun 25, 2008 at 7:31 PM Post #33 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by smeggy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Whut, no K1000s! You cheapskates
wink.gif

Looked like an awesome meet.

I have one, but I did not have it available to bring...they are hard at meets too, because they leak so much sound that no one else can listen when you have them on...

Jun 25, 2008 at 8:21 PM Post #34 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by stuartr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have one, but I did not have it available to bring...they are hard at meets too, because they leak so much sound that no one else can listen when you have them on...

Indeed, and Im not sure that there would have been room for a suitable amp.

Jul 3, 2008 at 12:15 PM Post #35 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by gz76 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I wish we had gear like that in Australia. I doubt we could scrape that list together if we got everyone in the country together!

We had half of it at the Sydney meet man... might wanna check your state out
tongue.gif

Jul 15, 2008 at 12:12 AM Post #37 of 39
They got lots of years to practice and learn whats fun, and whats lame.
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 5, 2008 at 3:44 PM Post #39 of 39
On tuesday we had another short-notice mini-meet at daves.

Sorry no photos, but it was a great time!

It was mostly Daves gear, but I brought along my DT-125/SR-770 (SR-125 drivers in a DT-770 shell) and a couple amps. I fixed the off-full blast volume control on my 708B in addition to changing pretty much everything else in the amp, and built a new amp. A wire in the adjustable (and switchable!) feedback on the 708B broke in transit so I could not show that off.

Daves gear was singing along proudly as always. His older Gilmore/headamp (highly modified) showed no problems running 2 Denons simultaneously: my D5000 and his D2000 (both modded). The sound was very good from both, and actually quite close. I think Dave said that his D2000 has a hair more bass, where my D5000 has better bass control, I agree. I showed off the passive-subwoofer mod I built for the D5000. I agree it is a little too obvious for serious listening, occasionally bordering on taking a seat IN the bass drum and listening to the band, but with a little tweaking it should make for a nice combination of the control I have now and massive head-shaking bass.

Daves collection of new and old AKG’s is certainly extensive. We had K701, 601, 501, 240(studio/600ohms), 240 sextet (I think 2 generations, one doubled with modified cable) and they were all rocking. The 701 and 601 were a decent distance apart, with the 701 having more bass. The 701’s are certainly not the bass-shakers that some other headphones are, but to say they are bassless is baseless. They don’t have much as impact as the others headphones here, but they certainly played the low end. There was a little debate over the 601 having a SLIGHTLY more musical sound on a specific track towards the end. Im not 100% sure I heard it, but both played it very nicely. The various sexy AKG’s were fun to listen to. The 2 with stock cables sounded slightly different (different vintages) the one with a different cable was quite different.

I spent some time with Dave’s PF-1 (wooden PS-1) and they were QUITE nice. They have the bass I would like with the denons actually. Its quite palpable, and well controlled, but not obviously overpowering like my passive subwoofer. The bass on these fits in with the music pretty much perfectly. Mucho nice.

I also spent a great deal of time running Daves JVC DX-1000 off of my hungry hybrid (cross between both low-voltage millet hybrid designs) and Dave’s melos and was very happy with it. It ALSO has the bass I wish I had on the D5000.

As with most meets I was more excited to listen to new music then new gear. The king-Crimson album was nice but im not 100% sure I need to go and buy it… I was MUCH more impressed by the head-fi compilation “party @ Neil’s” and borrowed Daves copy to copy. Im listening to it now on my SR-60/melos SHA-gold eargasmatron
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back