ultra-mini-meet at dave's
Jun 19, 2008 at 2:07 PM Post #16 of 39
Oh my!
eek.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

Thats a lot of gear for "just" 3 Head-Fi'ers. Looks like it was quite enjoyable..

Jun 19, 2008 at 8:58 PM Post #17 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh my!
eek.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

Thats a lot of gear for "just" 3 Head-Fi'ers. Looks like it was quite enjoyable..

Yes, it would be considered a lot of gear for 3 Head-Fi'ers but there was 4 of us so it was completely justifiable.
rolleyes.gif

Jun 19, 2008 at 10:42 PM Post #18 of 39
Looks like you guys had a blast.
smily_headphones1.gif

Quick question: What do you think of the RS-2's as a 'walking down the street to and from work' kind of portable headphone? I love my RS-1's, but they don't get much play time, and with the APS balanced recable, they aren't exactly portable. Would a RS-2 recabled to a 1/8" mini driven out of something pocketable with decent output work?

Jun 19, 2008 at 10:55 PM Post #19 of 39
Well, yes and no. I was listening to the RS-2's right out of the ipod today and they sounded great. But even then, the cable is pretty long and unwieldy, though I suppose that can be solved by a recabling. And of course, the phones are pretty big and odd looking compared to things most people use on the street. If you don't care about that, then I would say yes. They certainly sounded good out of the jack, though they don't offer any isolation and they leak sound...as I imagine you know given the fact that you have the RS-1's.

Jun 19, 2008 at 11:01 PM Post #20 of 39
Nice, that's exactly what I wanted to hear. Seems I'll have to keep my eyes open in the FS forum.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 19, 2008 at 11:22 PM Post #22 of 39
How much smaller are they when compared to the RS-1? I don't care about looking weird in public, but smaller would translate to more portable once recabled.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 20, 2008 at 3:05 AM Post #24 of 39
Thanks for the impressions guys, it looks like you had a great time. That's an awesome concentration of gear considering the small number of attendants.
cool.gif

Did anyone do a direct comparison between the OII and HP-2? They're my two favorite cans and I'd be interested to hear your impressions.

Jun 20, 2008 at 3:31 AM Post #25 of 39
Actually Scott, I believe the RS-2's are just a bit smaller than the RS-1's...it is not all that noticeable, but the cups are indeed slightly smaller. B versus C etc.

As for the Omega II versus the HP-2, I own both of them, so I suppose I should field that one. To be honest, it is rather difficult to compare them, as they are totally different types of headphones, and you can't use the same amp to run them. It makes it a bit more difficult. Comparing the Melos maestrobator and HP-2 to the KGSS and the Omega II's, I would say that overall the HP-2's presentation has more energy and neutrality...beats hit harder, every tone is more accurately placed that the Omega II's across the whole range of the music. The Omega II's don't have the bite of the HP-2 and grado, but they have a much wider soundstage and a really effortless presentation. High notes especially have almost instant attack and decay (at least when they are not meant to decay over a long time). Things like cymbals and plucked notes really fare well with the Omega II's. Bassier things like foot stomps, drum beats and bass lines are more satisfying with the HP-2's. In general, the Omega II's lend themselves very well to things like string quartets where you want to hear where each performer is and be able to isolate them. The HP-2's are better for when you want to hear every note at its proper timbre, when you want to listen to rock, blues, electronica or vocals. And of course, each does so well in all categories that these "deficiencies" compared to each other would probably not matter compared to most other phones. That is, both are so good that even where they have weaknesses, they are still stronger than 99% of other headphones.

Jun 20, 2008 at 12:27 PM Post #26 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by stuartr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Actually Scott, I believe the RS-2's are just a bit smaller than the RS-1's...it is not all that noticeable, but the cups are indeed slightly smaller. B versus C etc.

Whoops. Learn something new... Definitely not a night/day difference though. I find this interesting. Smaller chamber and the RS-2s definitely exhibit a more upfront sound.

Jun 20, 2008 at 2:02 PM Post #27 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by warrior05 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, it would be considered a lot of gear for 3 Head-Fi'ers but there was 4 of us so it was completely justifiable.
rolleyes.gif

Yeah, then its fully justifiable.
wink.gif

I forgot the fourth attender, behind the camera..

Jun 24, 2008 at 11:09 AM Post #28 of 39
Great impressions!

Thanks for sharing guys. Looks like you had a great time.

Jun 24, 2008 at 1:48 PM Post #29 of 39
What a great meet, guys.

Wish I had the room in my home to assmeble that quality of gear all in one place.
eek.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by stuartr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As for the Omega II versus the HP-2, I own both of them, so I suppose I should field that one. To be honest, it is rather difficult to compare them, as they are totally different types of headphones, and you can't use the same amp to run them. It makes it a bit more difficult. Comparing the Melos maestrobator and HP-2 to the KGSS and the Omega II's, I would say that overall the HP-2's presentation has more energy and neutrality...beats hit harder, every tone is more accurately placed that the Omega II's across the whole range of the music. The Omega II's don't have the bite of the HP-2 and grado, but they have a much wider soundstage and a really effortless presentation. High notes especially have almost instant attack and decay (at least when they are not meant to decay over a long time). Things like cymbals and plucked notes really fare well with the Omega II's. Bassier things like foot stomps, drum beats and bass lines are more satisfying with the HP-2's. In general, the Omega II's lend themselves very well to things like string quartets where you want to hear where each performer is and be able to isolate them. The HP-2's are better for when you want to hear every note at its proper timbre, when you want to listen to rock, blues, electronica or vocals. And of course, each does so well in all categories that these "deficiencies" compared to each other would probably not matter compared to most other phones. That is, both are so good that even where they have weaknesses, they are still stronger than 99% of other headphones.

Thanks for that dynamic vs electrostatic comparo. The HP2 then sounds tempting to listen to (through a good source/amp of course). (I'm sure spritzer might indicate the O2 could offer more with a better amp as well - say a maxxed KGBH? - but you've intrigued me enough to want to explore the HP2 further... then again, do I really want to sacrifice soundstage and some speed...decisions, decisions....
redface.gif
).

Quote:

Originally Posted by gz76 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I wish we had gear like that in Australia. I doubt we could scrape that list together if we got everyone in the country together!

You undersell us, gz76. With contributions from dvse, myself and other Sydney electrostat lovers, combined with the best dynamics in this city, we could get a reasonable collection together (though I admit I've only got a Musical Fidelity A3.5, not the A5
redface.gif
).

Jun 24, 2008 at 4:41 PM Post #30 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by webbie64 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for that dynamic vs electrostatic comparo. The HP2 then sounds tempting to listen to (through a good source/amp of course). (I'm sure spritzer might indicate the O2 could offer more with a better amp as well - say a maxxed KGBH? - but you've intrigued me enough to want to explore the HP2 further... then again, do I really want to sacrifice soundstage and some speed...decisions, decisions....
redface.gif
)

both of the KGSS's were pretty well built, with one headamp, and one DIY that used alarmingly good parts.

the HP2 and O2 do compliment each other well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back