Ultra micro amp heat problem(or not..)
Nov 12, 2008 at 11:51 PM Post #2 of 19
Hello Plonter,

Thanks for the email & for your HeadRoom purchase!
bigsmile_face.gif

'Class-A' electronics do tend to heat-up pretty good so the Ultra Micro amp will indeed get a bit warm to the touch -- but never actually physically too hot to hold! If so, let us know.

Also, which power supply are you using?... The Ultras will usually run slightly cooler employing either the Astrodyne PS or HeadRoom DPS versus using the 'stock' linear AC wall-wart.

Cheers,
Jorge
HR Sales/Product Manager

Nov 13, 2008 at 1:30 AM Post #4 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Monkey /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does the Ultra MicroDAC get as warm as the amp?

Not likely Vincent, the MAX DAC module runs pretty cool in the Hertsens.

Nov 13, 2008 at 8:35 AM Post #5 of 19
OK..so now i'm more relaxed... it not gets too hot to hold,just a bit warm like you said, so i guess i figured that issue.
by the way, i'm using the wall charger that comes with i't, i didnt purchase the better one, but should i..? will the amp live longer with it?

I want to say once again.....this amp is just AMAZING! the best i heard so far
a really big improvement over the total airhead.

thx again!

Nov 13, 2008 at 2:22 PM Post #6 of 19
The Ultra Micro DAC also get a (very slight) bit warm too.
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 14, 2008 at 1:39 AM Post #7 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by plonter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
OK..so now i'm more relaxed... it not gets too hot to hold,just a bit warm like you said, so i guess i figured that issue.
by the way, i'm using the wall charger that comes with i't, i didnt purchase the better one, but should i..? will the amp live longer with it?

I want to say once again.....this amp is just AMAZING! the best i heard so far
a really big improvement over the total airhead.

thx again!

Good news, Plonter!

...imho, the 'international-voltage' Astrodyne PS will substantially (audibly) improve the SQ of the Micro Amp and/or Micro DAC devices

Of course, the serious high-road for major audio performance improvements over the 'stock' AC power supply brick remains our HeadRoom DPS designed for our Desktop Line but which offers the same 5-pin DIN power supply connections as Micro Line.

You can always try either & listen for yourself under our standard 30-Day 'no-questions-asked' HeadRoom guaranty refund/exchange period!
very_evil_smiley.gif

Cheers,
Jorge
HR Sales/Product Manager

Dec 3, 2008 at 1:31 AM Post #11 of 19
So some days my Ultra Micro Amp (w/Astrodyne) gets warm and other days it doesn't. It doesn't seem to be correlated to how much music I listen to, how loud I listen to it, or the temperature in the room. The only thing I can think that might have changed is the amount of load on the AC outlet under my desk. But I'm running it through a noise filtering voltage regulator so I can't imagine what would be getting through that would make a difference. Any ideas?

Dec 5, 2008 at 4:27 AM Post #12 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by mackman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So some days my Ultra Micro Amp (w/Astrodyne) gets warm and other days it doesn't. It doesn't seem to be correlated to how much music I listen to, how loud I listen to it, or the temperature in the room. The only thing I can think that might have changed is the amount of load on the AC outlet under my desk. But I'm running it through a noise filtering voltage regulator so I can't imagine what would be getting through that would make a difference. Any ideas?

Hi There MackMan,

Gee, i'm not sure what the heck is going on there ... Certainly if you are using a voltage regulator /noise filter with discrete circuitry, the overall AC load should not be issue. Of course, if you happen to have a noise filter where the AC load is basically "combined" -- like in an average power strip -- that might indeed be the cause of the warmer amp at certain times...(?)

Thanks!
Jorge
HR Sales/Product Manager

Mar 14, 2009 at 11:05 PM Post #13 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by JorgeC /img/forum/go_quote.gif

'Class-A' electronics do tend to heat-up pretty good so the Ultra Micro amp will indeed get a bit warm to the touch -- but never actually physically too hot to hold! If so, let us know.

Also, which power supply are you using?... The Ultras will usually run slightly cooler employing either the Astrodyne PS or HeadRoom DPS versus using the 'stock' linear AC wall-wart.

Cheers,
Jorge
HR Sales/Product Manager

I'm currently using the DPS with my Ultra Micro Stack and the amp is very warm indeed. However, I can still hold it.
ph34r.gif

I'm in the Caribbean and it isn't summer yet!! I do wonder. I'll have to wait and see.

Aug 31, 2009 at 12:20 AM Post #14 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by aimlink /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm currently using the DPS with my Ultra Micro Stack and the amp is very warm indeed. However, I can still hold it.
ph34r.gif

I'm in the Caribbean and it isn't summer yet!! I do wonder. I'll have to wait and see.

It's now summer and boy, does this little amp get warm. I had to do a deliberate check on just how hot it was. But it seems OK and it's certainly working well. The DAC is just a tad warm.

Aug 31, 2009 at 4:30 PM Post #15 of 19
Can I sneak in here?
tongue.gif
Is it a good idea to stack the amp and dac? Will the pair run hotter stacked? I've got the amp on the bottom of the stack. They seem to be designed for stacking right? Sorry for the highjack
redface.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back