Ultra high end TTs
Jun 19, 2004 at 9:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

marios_mar

Headphoneus Supremus
I am so in love with how good vinyl sounds that I am really curious what a truly GREAT TT system is, how much it can cost and what is the limit(cost) when the diminishing returns get to be a little too much.

I really would like to listen to one sometime. I love my system though!

Jun 19, 2004 at 9:50 PM Post #2 of 20
i'm hardly an expert, but i believe the most expensive and possibly best turntable in existence is the Rockport Sirius, which was something like $74,000.

http://stereophile.com/analogsourcereviews/258

and the VPI Aries Scout, at about $1500, is supposed to be an amazing value, maybe the beginning of truly high-end. another one to check out, based solely on its aesthetic appeal, is the Mitchell Gyrodec. really unique look, i think it's great. i think Rob N on head-fi owns one, and there are a number of Scout owners here.

edit: forgot to mention the Linn Sondek LP12, an older model with a vintage look and a staggering array of expensive upgrades that, apparently, keep it in competition with more modern tables.

Jun 19, 2004 at 10:23 PM Post #3 of 20
I believe a Scout with a good phono stage is about the best value in turntables. It's easy to set up and sounds great. The law of diminishing returns is going to start being a significant factor above this level.

Jun 19, 2004 at 11:01 PM Post #4 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by kentamcolin
I believe a Scout with a good phono stage is about the best value in turntables. It's easy to set up and sounds great. The law of diminishing returns is going to start being a significant factor above this level.

Up to a certain point this might be true, but when the rest of the system is of a higher quality any source can become the bottleneck. The same is true in the other direction. There is no use using a $15-20K turntable setup in a system where everything else is not worth the price of the turntable. You wont hear all it can do. I can see someone bringing a money no object table into a 7500.00 dollar system and thinking the Scout, rega, or whatever was nearly as good. Carry both players into a cost no object system and you will see they are not close. If you want your returns on a major source investment you better be prepared to spread the money downstream.
IMO table/arm/phono combos in the $10K and up range are MUCH better than what you will get for $2-3K, but if you want to hear it you better be willing to spread the wealth. I think peoples diminishing returns are self made alot of the time.

Jun 20, 2004 at 12:45 PM Post #7 of 20
A source is a component and should be a balanced part of any system. If you're plaaning to go the whole hog with a $5K phonostage, a $10K cartridge, a $15K preamp and a pair of $47K Wavac HE833 monoblocks with a bunch of Wilsons, then buying a $15-20K turntable makes perfectly good sense. Short of that, for a regular $3-4K system, a scout, a Bluenote Piccolo, the entry level Michell or even a Bluenote Bellavista is more than adequate. You can also get some good deals on audiogon on the Linn Sondek LP12s. For people wanting to take the tweak route, starting with the VPI-19 Jr and upgrading it in stages to the MK IV spec. is also another cost efficient option. Todd has some really good deals now on the Bluenotes and gave me an excellent deal on my vinyl rig. This rig simply takes my CD collection and gives it the thrashing of its life in terms of presence, muicality and soundstage. For anyone investing in music, this is the way to go.

Jun 20, 2004 at 3:53 PM Post #8 of 20
I would also suggest listening to a few different brands of tables with different arms and cartridge's. I know this is not a popular thought around hear but I prefer the sound I've heard through the Rega tables over the VPI. Different tables sound different (to me anyway). As much so or more than CDP's. I would also talk to Todd and get his views on what would suit your needs the best in your price range.
I would not be afraid to buy used if it was in my area. But beware.....all human brain matter is not equal when it comes to shipping tables.

Jun 22, 2004 at 8:40 PM Post #9 of 20
I can say without much risk of jeopardizing my rep here that the Scout is so good that you would have to spend far,far more money to get something that sounds superior. I think the Scout is the very best deal going in analog and I say so with zero reservation. It is an amazing table in so many ways. I've used Scouts with big dollar cartridges and it did nothing to impair the performance of rigs like the Lyra Titan. The Scout is that good.

Jun 22, 2004 at 8:46 PM Post #10 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tuberoller
I can say without much risk of jeopardizing my rep here that the Scout is so good that you would have to spend far,far more money to get something that sounds superior. I think the Scout is the very best deal going in analog and I say so with zero reservation. It is an amazing table in so many ways. I've used Scouts with big dollar cartridges and it did nothing to impair the performance of rigs like the Lyra Titan. The Scout is that good.

Right Said Fred!
biggrin.gif

So why haven't we ever seen a review of the scout or for that matter you Mk IV. I only found the cartridge review.

Jun 23, 2004 at 5:10 AM Post #13 of 20
I agree that the Scout will deliver sound very close to an ultra rig. I love my TNT, but it probably has me bottlenecked at phono stage and speakers (hooray for headphones!). Also, I spent "only" 1K on a cartridge and probably should go higher
rolleyes.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back