Ultra Desktop Amp Question
Nov 19, 2010 at 7:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

myinitialsaredac

1000+ Head-Fier
Hey guys,

I was looking at your new Ultra Desktop Amp with the built in dac and was finding mixed information about the chip you built the dac component around.

Some are saying its the ESS 9008 others are saying its the Cirrus Logic CS4398

Mind clarifying which chip it is?

Thanks,

Dave

Nov 19, 2010 at 11:38 PM Post #2 of 10
The ESS chip is in the Ultra Desktop Dac, a standalone balanced dac currently being updated.

The Ultra Desktop Amp uses the AD1896 I believe, with the Desktop Amp using the CS4398.

Nov 19, 2010 at 11:45 PM Post #3 of 10
I don't see the ultra desktop dac on their site anymore so I was hoping they were using the 9008 in the ultra desktop amp.

I was under the impression the AD1896 was only an upsampling circuit not an actual dac because the ultra micro dac has both the the Cirrus Logic CS4398 DAC chip and Analog Devices AD1896 Asynchronous Sample Rate Converter according to the headroom site

Nov 20, 2010 at 12:12 AM Post #4 of 10
I think you're right on the AD chip being the upsampling circuit only, the site isn't too clear when it comes to the "max dac". The Ultra Desktop Amp uses the same dac as the Ultra Micro that you have. 

The desktop dac was pulled due to the usb implementation. There is a thread on it in this sub forum that describes the specifics. 

Nov 20, 2010 at 2:31 AM Post #5 of 10

Quote:
I think you're right on the AD chip being the upsampling circuit only, the site isn't too clear when it comes to the "max dac". The Ultra Desktop Amp uses the same dac as the Ultra Micro that you have. 

The desktop dac was pulled due to the usb implementation. There is a thread on it in this sub forum that describes the specifics. 

Ah thats too bad, I love the sound with the upsampling circuit but I was hoping to get into that 9008 chipset. 

Cheers,
Dave

Nov 21, 2010 at 9:23 PM Post #7 of 10
^^^ You should buy an LCD-2 so I have someone to talk with about it on the UDA.... No one else wants to on Head-fi or hasn't
frown.gif

Nov 22, 2010 at 11:43 PM Post #8 of 10
^^^ You should buy an LCD-2 so I have someone to talk with about it on the UDA.... No one else wants to on Head-fi or hasn't
frown.gif

Well I have the LCD-2 and HD800 and the BUDA. I can tell you that the LCD2 sounds great with the BUDA. and the UDAC. I think it should sound great with the UDA too.

Nov 23, 2010 at 12:01 PM Post #9 of 10
LOL, I'm set for a little while on the desktop setup.  I'm building a modest portable rig right now, and that may lead to a pair of less than modest customs.  That might require selling my D7000's.  That will require a new pair of full size headphones, but it will be a while, and they will have to be closed, probably.

Nov 23, 2010 at 4:41 PM Post #10 of 10
Ha, okay no big deal...
biggrin.gif

Jalo- Never heard anything balanced before but I've read that both setups should be similar? Or does the BUDA have different power ouptut specs? At any rate I'm not displeased with anything the UDA is delivering currently. My little mind can't but help wander every now and the with trying different setups though; mainly with tubes. And one day I'm thinking of electrostatic but that won't be for a while. But even if I did that, would the UDAC be a good option to feed any other sort of amp?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back