ultra comfortable, non-fatiguing headphones for my imac
Mar 5, 2006 at 10:32 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

theobservatory.

100+ Head-Fier
so i've finally recieved my ksc-75 and grado sr60 [wasn't expecting it, but twas a gift from a good friend]. also got a brand new imac recently, and after chucking the laptop, realised that i was in need a new pair of headphones for use with the machine. main uses would be music via itunes [128-320 aac] and movies/videos etc. absolutely NO gaming at all. not even one tad bit.

would prefer an open set of cans as my room isn't that noisy and i would need to keep a ear our for the phone, the door bell and other instances where i'd need to be able to hear at least a little.

cans have to be really comfy for 3-6 hours of use min per day. i would also prefer them to be a little 'open-air' since i'll be using them in a pretty warm environment.

max budget would be about us$100.

thanks&cheers

Mar 5, 2006 at 11:22 AM Post #3 of 15
See if you can find a set of Sennheiser HD-555, they have severed me well. Out of all Sennheiser's lineup the HD-555 and HD-595 are the most comfortable. The pads surround the ear and are made with valour material, and they are so comfortable that I often get up from my desk and start to walk away forgetting they are on. Worth 100 bucks just for comfort alone. Great for hours upon hours of music or movies. I use them more then my HD-580, mainly because of the softer pads and less of a vise grip force on my head.
I also just got my new imac (G5) and I love it. The HD-555 and imac are a great match.

Mar 5, 2006 at 1:57 PM Post #4 of 15
i believe the a500 is a closed back phone no? what about the ad500 then?

from what i've read the hd555 sounds like what i'm looking for. however the price is still a little too steep for me right now. any chances i can get similar comfort and sound at a cheaper price?

Mar 5, 2006 at 2:50 PM Post #5 of 15
though headroom lists the hd555 for $150, if you do a froggle search for it you can find a site that has it for $100-105 easily, then price-match the price down on headroom

Mar 5, 2006 at 4:34 PM Post #7 of 15
Audio Technica A500s are calling you. Even though they have the closed driver housing, they do not isolate much at all. I can hear knocks on my door, my phone ring, and my door bell with music playing at a low to moderate level.

Mar 5, 2006 at 4:45 PM Post #8 of 15
hmm interesting, so far its just the hd555 and the a500. how do these compare in terms of sound and comfort? do they warm your ears a great deal after listening to them for a long period of time? i used to get this with my old audio technica cans [forgot the model name] and it kinda ruined the listening experience [in terms of comfort]

Mar 5, 2006 at 6:34 PM Post #10 of 15
You said you got the Grado sr60's from a friend as a gift. Just out of curiosity what do you think of em? I recently bought a pair myself and thus far still looking to see if there is something better sounding. Seems like the highs are harsh on my ears. Not lots of bass either.

Mar 5, 2006 at 6:40 PM Post #11 of 15
Well I've never tried the HD555, but the A500 and A900 are both basicly the same size and shape, and I have got to say my A900's are VERY comfortable.

Mar 7, 2006 at 7:42 AM Post #12 of 15
mr56k - i LOVE the grado sr60. the best part is its liquid mid-range. its sweet, smooth and oh-so nice. i really love it for those 'jazz club' type pieces (miles & coltrane especially, i prefer my speakers for the big-band swing stuff). but for downtempo/ambient music i'd prefer something with a more extended lower-end - more bass in quanitity and quality is what i'm craving for. highs aren't as sparkly as the sr80 that i tried [bowls ain't for me, they don't cover my ears entirely, in fact i audition the sr225 and the rs1 as well, all with bowls, and all left me wanting more, given the hype surrounding these cans]. all in all its an engaging phone that demands your attention.

the ms1 that i tried on the other hand has a good balance, involving yet not fatiguing, laid-back enough yet not too boring. however to my ears it really does need an amp to sound as good as i want it. without amplification, i'll take my ksc75 over it anyday. but with an amp and a dac, boy does it sing!

anyway, i was just wondering whether px100's sound anything like the hd555. i've tried these before, and really enjoy the combination of sound and comfort. and it certainly doesn't cause sweaty ears
icon10.gif
i have an extension cable so the short cable length isn't a problem.

man i love my ks75 to bits too. any way i can make them comfortable enough for long hours of wear? [the clips hurt my ears a tad bit after a few hours of listening, and i wear thick framed glasses to boot]

Mar 19, 2006 at 3:42 AM Post #14 of 15
Maybe try the AKG K240's. One of the reasons I love them is they are very non-fatigueing. They're also very comfortable besides the fact that they get a little sweaty at times.(get the AKG K240 S's because they are easy to drive)

Mar 19, 2006 at 10:23 AM Post #15 of 15
I use mainly my DT 990 Pro with my iMac G5 for listening Music with iTunes, making music with Garageband and watching TV via Eye.TV. For me it's the best compromise of comfort, soundstage, detail and powerfull bass that you can get for your money. They sell new normaly for around $160, so if buying used or safing up money and buying later are options, I would say these are the best in the pricerange under $200.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back