UltimateEars UE10 Pro Appreciation Thread
Dec 18, 2005 at 1:01 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 27

solvexyz

1000+ Head-Fier
I think there is already enough of us to start a thread like this.

I have been using the UE10 Pro for about 2 months now, and I constantly get amazed by its sound quality. How can a small earphone produce such accurate treble, smooth midrange, and powerful and tight bass? It is one of the question that kept popping up my head. The only headphone that I have heard up to date that is able to meet all these requirements is Sony SA5000 (I have not heard Stax or Qualia.), but as all you know, the headphone requires a matching amplifier, or otherwise, it will not sound very convincing. On the other hand and also another marvelous thing about UE10 Pro, it is not in need of an amplifier. Because I would say without an amp, it is already at 85 ~ 90% of its potential, and even more if the source is really that good. This characteristic really makes it a perfect portable earphone. Because of its neutrality, I feel that it can play all genres of music with confidence. In short, I am really happy to be an owner of this IEM, and I feel it is one of the best IEM not only for portable use, but also for home listening, especially when laying on bed.

So guys there are my appreciation for UE10 Pro. There are of course more, but those are pretty much what I want to express right now.

Dec 18, 2005 at 4:40 AM Post #3 of 27
Love my UE-10's. They make my portable rig shine like never before. They are the closest things I have to a portable HP-2.

Dec 18, 2005 at 4:52 AM Post #4 of 27
Yup. I'm another UE10-Pro lover! I've not tried any other IEMs, but I'm quite sure the Sensa and Westone users feel the same way about their beloved IEMs.

Having a custom fit, ultra portability, excellent islolation and fabulous sound in every possible way is a real treat. Now that I've finally broken down and bought an iPod, I'm sure I'll be using the UE's more and more, alternatiing between the Hornet and SM3v6.

Dec 18, 2005 at 5:24 AM Post #5 of 27
I might prefer some other cans a little more, but to experience that Sound Quality walking down the street is a bliss (plus isolation, plus small size, plus amplification not that required...).

Dec 18, 2005 at 8:33 AM Post #6 of 27
Partial appreciation for me.

Properly amped, these sound like feces with too much bass and no mids. Sorry.

When running straight from iPod or my ThinkPad T41, it sounds much nicer due to the lacking bass output and slightly recessed highs, making the sound much flatter to my ears.

Which, actually, is quite nice, not to have to use amps.
wink.gif
They're sort of already pre EQ-ed for true portable use without amps.

Dec 18, 2005 at 12:48 PM Post #7 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by doobooloo
Partial appreciation for me.

Properly amped, these sound like feces with too much bass and no mids. Sorry.

When running straight from iPod or my ThinkPad T41, it sounds much nicer due to the lacking bass output and slightly recessed highs, making the sound much flatter to my ears.

Which, actually, is quite nice, not to have to use amps.
wink.gif
They're sort of already pre EQ-ed for true portable use without amps.

That's interesting you put it that way, lol. Because when I hook my ue10pro's up to my recording equipment the sound quality it terrible. Everything is sooo muddy. But when I hook it up to my X5 or h120 it sounds great. Not sure why that is.

Dec 18, 2005 at 9:34 PM Post #8 of 27
well ,I am using them with headamp gs-1,its the way better than plug in the ipod5's.I can't believe how great this little baby sounds .with ipod5,sounds like a earphone,with a better amp,even a hi-end headphone like.but,thats IMO.
now ,I am thinking to sell my sa5000s,can't stand the sound since I've listened the ue10pros.so is there any headphone sounds close to ue10pros?I mean,I am looking for the big size of ue10pros, I wonder if the l3000s are what I am after...

Dec 19, 2005 at 12:36 AM Post #9 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by lovebell
well ,I am using them with headamp gs-1,its the way better than plug in the ipod5's.I can't believe how great this little baby sounds .with ipod5,sounds like a earphone,with a better amp,even a hi-end headphone like.but,thats IMO.
now ,I am thinking to sell my sa5000s,can't stand the sound since I've listened the ue10pros.so is there any headphone sounds close to ue10pros?I mean,I am looking for the big size of ue10pros, I wonder if the l3000s are what I am after...

Hmm, weird. I find my Sony SA5000 sounds 80% ~ 85% like my ue10 Pro after a lot of EQ. However, the bass still a bit less impactful, and the midrange a bit thin. However, the overal resolution and sound signature really reminds me of UE10 Pro.

I have heard people suggesting AKG K1000 as a headphone version of UE10 Pro.

Dec 19, 2005 at 1:02 AM Post #10 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by solvexyz
Hmm, weird. I find my Sony SA5000 sounds 80% ~ 85% like my ue10 Pro after a lot of EQ. However, the bass still a bit less impactful, and the midrange a bit thin. However, the overal resolution and sound signature really reminds me of UE10 Pro.

I have heard people suggesting AKG K1000 as a headphone version of UE10 Pro.

maybe the reason is my source which is dac1,it drives sa5k too bright for me.
aslo I 've never adjusted the EQ .
I haven't tried the k1000s though, my k3000 is coming. if so,would be great anyway
rolleyes.gif

Dec 19, 2005 at 1:13 AM Post #11 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by solvexyz
I think there is already enough of us to start a thread like this.

I have been using the UE10 Pro for about 2 months now, and I constantly get amazed by its sound quality. How can a small earphone can produce such accurate treble, smooth midrange, and powerful and tight bass? It is one of the question that kept popping up my head. The only headphone that I have heard up to date that is able to meet all these requirements is Sony SA5000 (I have not heard Stax or Qualia.), but as all you know, headphone requires a matching amplifier, or otherwise, it will not sound very convincing. On the other hand, this is also another marvelous thing about UE10 Pro is that it does not in need of an amplifier because I would say without an amp, it is already at 85 ~ 90% of its potential, and even more if the source is really that good. This characteristics really makes it a perfect portable earphone. Because of its neutrality, I feel it play all genres of music with confidence. In short, I am really happy to be an owner of this IEM, and I feel it is one of the best IEM not only for portable use, but also for home listening, especially when laying on bed.

So guys there are my appreciation for UE10 Pro. There are of course more, but those are pretty much what I want to express right now.

I am very much in agreement with your statement. They have the detail of the SA5000s. I think the SA5000 have maybe very alittle more detail in general and especially in the bass area. Along with the bass being alittle deeper. But very close. But the bass in UE-10s is more present then SA5000s. Overall, the UE-10s are far and away my favorite headphone and the one I use most. I find very small gains amping them and I do think these headphones work well with any type of music. This is why even for $900 they have 5 star rating at Headroom.

Dec 19, 2005 at 2:09 AM Post #12 of 27
Were I to have to give up all but one headphone, it's quite likely that it's my UE10s that would stay. I just love them.

Dec 19, 2005 at 5:12 AM Post #14 of 27
id like to see an ES2 vs UE10 comparison.

you save quite a bit of money with the ES2, i wonder how that would pan out.

Dec 19, 2005 at 5:46 AM Post #15 of 27
With jazz, the UE-10 is utterly stunning! ...maybe that's why I've been on such a jazz kick lately.
biggrin.gif
They do sound damn good with everything else too. IMO they aren't perfect, but I do love them.

Like Tyll, if I could only keep one of my current headphones, the UE-10s would be them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back