ultimate isolation?
Oct 15, 2006 at 7:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

tomek

500+ Head-Fier
So, living in Poland now and taking lots of buses and trains i decided to get a pair of IEMs, the Shure E4's.

While I'm impressed with the sound, especially the size of the soundstage, I'm disappointed by how much isolation they offer.

Was it unrealistic of me to expect that when I put them on, I wouldn't hear people around me talking or the sound of the bus' engine revving? During quiet passages in my music I can even hear the music coming out of the headphones of the guy next to me in the bus.

I've tried the different tips that come with the E4s, with the triple flanged being my favourite because I can get a nice seal and they seem to do the best, but maybe far less isolating than I had expected.

Is there any way to get more isolation? I purchased these so I wouldn't have to crank the volume on public transport and so that I could hear all the details in my music while travelling.

Also, do the different tips affect the sound at all? I noticed that the distance between the end of the driver tube and the remaining length of the tip varies. With the foamies, the driver isn't inside the tip at all, it goes right to the end, but with the triple flanged there is still a good centimetre between the end of the diver tube and the end of the tip. Is the sound affected by travelling through that length of silicone?

Oct 15, 2006 at 7:11 PM Post #2 of 4
the sound is probably affected. you can shorter the length but cutting off the stem and or the last flange. most people,including myself, find it more comfortable with the modded triflanges

Oct 16, 2006 at 12:05 AM Post #3 of 4
the isolation is already pretty good with shure. I have the e3c and they isolate plenty with the grey sleeves on. And more for the foamies. I would imagine the tri-flanges isolate even more.
Maybe you just sit too far back in the bus and the other guy's music is too loud.

Oct 16, 2006 at 12:36 AM Post #4 of 4
if you're hearing the guy next to you's headphones leaking, it sounds to me like you aren't getting a very good seal. Try pushing them in pretty deep with the foam on and then holding them in place until the foam expands (make sure to compress the foam between your fingers before inserting them) to fill the inside of your ear canal. While they don't isolate quite as much as my Howard Leight earplugs, the E4 isolates pretty damn well.

Tip usage most definitely changes the sound. The foam offers the most accurate sound until it starts to wear out and the seal is compromised.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back