Ultimate Ears UE PRO 18+ Discussions and Impressions
Apr 14, 2018 at 3:55 AM Post #213 of 462
IPX wouldn't happen to be referring to this would it?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hirose_U.FL

It makes sense since radio frequency connectors seems to be the new age connector but this line is troubling:

"Female U.FL connectors are not designed with reconnection in mind, and they are only rated for a few reconnects (approximately 30 mating cycles [3]) before replacement is needed"

Since Linum.dk and the mother company Estron put in a lot of research into their cables and connectors - it would be very surprising if they choose to create a standard that is supposed to be sturdier and has a longer lifetime than 2-pin and mmcx to be less sturdy and lasting that the old standards.

I had a few mmcx connector issues in the past and can understand why everyone wants to move away from them. Downside as usual - new cables are needed.

So short answer - from what I heard - this is a superior connecting standard over the old ones. aCS and Cosmic ears are using these for some time and I guess UE is not the last of the big names to join the club.

JH has created their own screw on 4 pin for the same reason. Reliability and failure over time.

Cheers.

Apr 15, 2018 at 9:23 PM Post #214 of 462
Apr 16, 2018 at 1:21 AM Post #215 of 462
Hi guys. Here is my review of the 18+ Pro.

Unfortunately this is on the first generation 18+, but I think its still useful to act as a comparison.

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/ultimate-ears-pro-18.22178/reviews#review-20183

If others could chime in on V1 vs V2 then this review could also help in providing context was said comparison.

First time I've heard anyone describe the 18+ as V-shaped, especially the comment about recessed mids and enhanced treble. I heard it as forward mids and shelved midtreble, with a warm-ish take on neutral.

Apr 16, 2018 at 1:40 AM Post #216 of 462
First time I've heard anyone describe the 18+ as V-shaped, especially the comment about recessed mids and enhanced treble. I heard it as forward mids and shelved midtreble, with a warm-ish take on neutral.

Same impressions as you when I heard it on CanJam.

Apr 16, 2018 at 12:27 PM Post #217 of 462
IPX wouldn't happen to be referring to this would it?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hirose_U.FL

It makes sense since radio frequency connectors seems to be the new age connector but this line is troubling:

"Female U.FL connectors are not designed with reconnection in mind, and they are only rated for a few reconnects (approximately 30 mating cycles [3]) before replacement is needed"

We called it IPX as the system is the first known to us to be IP-67 certified being a water-proof spec. We learned from our development of UE 900 that RF connectors in general aren't reliable for IEM use and we had to tighten the spec with our supplier, however they are in general more reliable than the standard 2-pin connector. We have tested the the connector system with lab fixture up to 3000 cycles without intermittence of audio, a typical RF connector would have failed around 500 cycles under these condition.

Apr 16, 2018 at 5:52 PM Post #218 of 462
We called it IPX as the system is the first known to us to be IP-67 certified being a water-proof spec. We learned from our development of UE 900 that RF connectors in general aren't reliable for IEM use and we had to tighten the spec with our supplier, however they are in general more reliable than the standard 2-pin connector. We have tested the the connector system with lab fixture up to 3000 cycles without intermittence of audio, a typical RF connector would have failed around 500 cycles under these condition.

and is the connection still snap-in?

Apr 17, 2018 at 1:22 AM Post #220 of 462
I just got the 2nd generation of the UE18+ Pro-To-Go, and it is amazing. After having owned the Campfire Andromeda, InEar Prophile-8, JVC HA-FW01, Sony XBA-N3AP, Aurisonics ASG-2.5, AKG K3003, LZ-A4, Noble X, that these are the endgame I was looking for.

My first IEMs were the AKG K3003. While coherent and detailed with great imaging, they were a bit too sharp to my ears. I was basically looking for AKG K3003s with less sharp treble. The UE18+ Pros have decent bass, at times it seems like the bass is more solid than my AKG K3003s. With these IEMs, I feel like I get lost in my music instead of picking out the details. However, if I listen more carefully, I hear great separation between instruments, careful imaging, and exceptional timbre reproduction. Kudos to UE for making an IEM with stellar coherency, while retaining exceptional separation and detail retrieval.

This might trigger some, but I felt the CA Andromedas, while pleasant to listen to, had too much of an exaggerated feel...too much of its own flavour to the music (artificially expanded soundstage, boosted bass) - it was also way too sensitive to source impedance. InEar Prophile-8s are nice, but a bit too analytical. JVC HA-FW01s, superseded by the UE18+ Pros. Sony XBA-N3AP - basshead IEMs. Aurisonics ASG-2.5, superseded by the UE18+ Pros. AKG K3003, superseded by the UE18+ Pros. LZ-A4 - no comparison. Noble X - no comparison.

Apr 17, 2018 at 2:07 AM Post #221 of 462
I just got the 2nd generation of the UE18+ Pro-To-Go, and it is amazing. After having owned the Campfire Andromeda, InEar Prophile-8, JVC HA-FW01, Sony XBA-N3AP, Aurisonics ASG-2.5, AKG K3003, LZ-A4, Noble X, that these are the endgame I was looking for.

My first IEMs were the AKG K3003. While coherent and detailed with great imaging, they were a bit too sharp to my ears. I was basically looking for AKG K3003s with less sharp treble. The UE18+ Pros have decent bass, at times it seems like the bass is more solid than my AKG K3003s. With these IEMs, I feel like I get lost in my music instead of picking out the details. However, if I listen more carefully, I hear great separation between instruments, careful imaging, and exceptional timbre reproduction. Kudos to UE for making an IEM with stellar coherency, while retaining exceptional separation and detail retrieval.

This might trigger some, but I felt the CA Andromedas, while pleasant to listen to, had too much of an exaggerated feel...too much of its own flavour to the music (artificially expanded soundstage, boosted bass) - it was also way too sensitive to source impedance. InEar Prophile-8s are nice, but a bit too analytical. JVC HA-FW01s, superseded by the UE18+ Pros. Sony XBA-N3AP - basshead IEMs. Aurisonics ASG-2.5, superseded by the UE18+ Pros. AKG K3003, superseded by the UE18+ Pros. LZ-A4 - no comparison. Noble X - no comparison.
Would you mind sharing some photo how big shell it is for those universals? Or how much it sticks out of the ear?

Apr 18, 2018 at 8:28 PM Post #222 of 462

I don't necessarily think that V and U shapes are all the same as V makes the midrange dip be represented in a higher magnitude than it actually is.

For my case, I'm hearing mostly hearing the enhanced mid bass and upper treble. Of course, YMMV.

Apr 19, 2018 at 10:30 AM Post #224 of 462
5) UE Live - it is hard to describe, it is more open and "Live" than anything we have ever done.
So is there a switch or something where I can dial in a reverb? A small reverb for a small arena and a big one for a big stadium? Because the length of the reverb is the difference between these two venues, am I right?

Edit: It was a joke :wink:

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2018 at 5:20 AM Post #225 of 462
Since Linum.dk and the mother company Estron put in a lot of research into their cables and connectors - it would be very surprising if they choose to create a standard that is supposed to be sturdier and has a longer lifetime than 2-pin and mmcx to be less sturdy and lasting that the old standards.

I had a few mmcx connector issues in the past and can understand why everyone wants to move away from them. Downside as usual - new cables are needed.

So short answer - from what I heard - this is a superior connecting standard over the old ones. aCS and Cosmic ears are using these for some time and I guess UE is not the last of the big names to join the club.

JH has created their own screw on 4 pin for the same reason. Reliability and failure over time.

Cheers.

I think Cosmic Ears has switched to standard 2-pin connection.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back