Ultimate Ears UE PRO 18+ Discussions and Impressions
Jul 22, 2017 at 6:32 PM Post #46 of 462
^^

Nice pics of you departing London at the airport.

I maybe traveling soon. How does the TSA handle CIEM's and Chord Hugo's nowadays?
Thanks! The Hugo should be fine - if the authorities question, just say it powers headphones. If you bring a CIEM, you'll be okay, especially if you keep it on you and place it so it is visible on the security conveyor belt. Now, with other items that I bring (like IEMs, DAC/Amps, headphones, etc.), they fully search me, search all of my bags, each time, no matter where I am, no matter what. Global Entry has been good, but doesn't play a significant factor, if at all, when you are traveling internationally.

Any more questions with regards to customs, treatment and the sort, feel free to PM me. :slight_smile:

Last edited:
Aug 1, 2017 at 3:53 PM Post #48 of 462
I've always appreciated that UE custom cables were 4 wire all the way to the plug when other companies were 3 wire form the splitter. Little things can make a difference. 18+ response curve looks really nice and the new drivers should produce a very transparent yet friendly sig.
The 18+ sounds very good - one of my favorite customs I own. Try to listen to one if you can. Based on your personal preferences, you may like another model of theirs at the same enjoyment or possibly even more via kiosk where you can try out their models with only one of their demo universals in your ears.

Aug 2, 2017 at 1:57 AM Post #49 of 462
The 18+ sounds very good - one of my favorite customs I own. Try to listen to one if you can. Based on your personal preferences, you may like another model of theirs at the same enjoyment or possibly even more via kiosk where you can try out their models with only one of their demo universals in your ears.
Is there any indication yet of when the universal (ToGo) version will become available? The 18+ is currently ranked among my top 3 "can't afford yet, but will keep an eye on as possible end-game IEMs", but I can't use CIEMs so it would have to be the ToGo version.

Aug 2, 2017 at 2:13 AM Post #50 of 462
Is there any indication yet of when the universal (ToGo) version will become available? The 18+ is currently ranked among my top 3 "can't afford yet, but will keep an eye on as possible end-game IEMs", but I can't use CIEMs so it would have to be the ToGo version.
Pretty sure it's available, you just have to ask for it, and they'll be happy to make you one. :)

Sep 7, 2017 at 2:20 AM Post #53 of 462
Has anyone tried the 4N silver cable or the gold braid cable from UE with the 18+? Is it worth the 300 bucks?
Welcome to Head-Fi!

I was able to use both of the cables before they were available to the public to give the team my thoughts, and I really enjoy them. My favorite is the gold plated silver and copper cable. Since there are other brands that do not use as good components for the same price or possibly a *lot* more, I would say the price is most definitely worth it.

Here is the original cable post, located in the UEPRR thread, here:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/ult...-remastered-uerr.788168/page-35#post-13547843

Sep 7, 2017 at 3:32 AM Post #54 of 462
Welcome to Head-Fi!

I was able to use both of the cables before they were available to the public to give the team my thoughts, and I really enjoy them. My favorite is the gold plated silver and copper cable. Since there are other brands that do not use as good components for the same price or possibly a *lot* more, I would say the price is most definitely worth it.

Here is the original cable post, located in the UEPRR thread, here:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/ult...-remastered-uerr.788168/page-35#post-13547843

Thanks! I've actually been lurking on Head-Fi since around 2011 but never got around to making an account lol.

How would you describe the sound of both the cables?

Sep 7, 2017 at 3:58 AM Post #55 of 462
Thanks! I've actually been lurking on Head-Fi since around 2011 but never got around to making an account lol.

How would you describe the sound of both the cables?

Paired with the UEPRR and UE 18+ Pro, connected to the QP1R:

4N Silver = Bulid of the cable is much thicker than the Gold Braid (GPCS). Soft and supple. Smoother in sound, relaxed. More gentle and delicate in overall sound signature compared to the Gold Braid (GPCS).

Gold Braid (GPCS) = Much thinner compared to the 4N Silver. Dynamic, detailed, crisp and vibrant. Brighter, tighter, and more pinpoint than that of the 4N Silver.

Your mileage may/will vary based on many factors. I've outlined some of those determining factors in my reviews, which are chronicled in my profile, if interested.

Sep 8, 2017 at 12:47 AM Post #58 of 462
Well, I finally ordered mine. It should come around next month or so. After demoing them, honestly I really like how it sounds. Might not be the best financial decision of my life, but what the heck :p

@Wyville , I think you'll enjoy them a lot!

And, uh... Hi everyone. Long time lurker here, but got seriously pulled in to this game quite recently :p

Oct 3, 2017 at 7:30 AM Post #59 of 462
After about 3.5 weeks of wait, it's finally here! I gotta say I'm impressed by the amount of detail in it, and I honestly agree with all of @flinkenick 's views on these. There is some sort of a midtreble dip that is noticable on some songs too, but aside from that it sounds pretty darn awesome. Vocals are clean and energetic, drum hits are exceptional, and I find that hi-hats sounds absolutely amazing on these babies

Now, I feel that I'm a person who's not so sensitive towards the midtreble peaks (I find HD800 to sound just alright even without the SDR mod, if that means something). Can anyone recommend a cable around $200 (Not exceeding $300 if possible) in order to regain the midtreble peak?

Also, last question. How do you detach the UE cables? They seem very tight, and I'm scared of breaking the shell

Attachments

• IMG_7925.jpg
    IMG_7925.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
Oct 3, 2017 at 10:02 AM Post #60 of 462
After about 3.5 weeks of wait, it's finally here! I gotta say I'm impressed by the amount of detail in it, and I honestly agree with all of @flinkenick 's views on these. There is some sort of a midtreble dip that is noticable on some songs too, but aside from that it sounds pretty darn awesome. Vocals are clean and energetic, drum hits are exceptional, and I find that hi-hats sounds absolutely amazing on these babies

Now, I feel that I'm a person who's not so sensitive towards the midtreble peaks (I find HD800 to sound just alright even without the SDR mod, if that means something). Can anyone recommend a cable around $200 (Not exceeding $300 if possible) in order to regain the midtreble peak?

Also, last question. How do you detach the UE cables? They seem very tight, and I'm scared of breaking the shell
For cables, either pw audio no.5 or effect audio eos. I find effect audio aresII a little too airy, but if that's your thing, go ahead~ :smile_phones:

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back