1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Ultimate Ears UE PRO 18+ Discussions and Impressions

First

Back
15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24
26 27 28
Next

Last
  1. cycheang
    Hi Bro,

Thanks for your sharing.
    But maybe can you briefly explain the sound signature in UE 18+ pro vs iBasso IT04 ?

2. royneo
    Hi guys,

I bought a second-hand UE18+ recently but I have no idea if it's the 2nd or 3rd Gen. The only identifier that I know of is that it has IPX connectors. I'd like to ask if there are any 2nd gen models that sport the IPX connectors instead of the usual 2-pins? Is my UE18+ a definite 3rd Gen model?

Thanks!

3. rantng
    I don't believe the 2nd Gen was ever available with the IPX connectors. The 2nd Gen has the TrueTone driver while the 3rd Gen has TrueTone Plus w/IPX.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2019
  4. royneo
    Ah alright, thanks! I saw Headfonia's review on the UE18+ where they mentioned that they were reviewing a 2nd gen UE18+ despite the review unit having IPX connectors. Perhaps it was a one-off unit.

5. joshuachew
    There is a way to tell hahahhahaha

6. royneo
    Hmm, what's the secret? :hushed:

Btw, are you a fellow Singaporean too? :joy:

7. rantng
    I just checked that same review and he does state that it is the 2nd gen, but it does have IPX connectors. I know the 2nd gen was only available for a short time before UE upgraded to the TrueTone Plus drivers. Not sure if there is a way to tell which drivers are in your UE 18+. I remember there was this same confusion when the new version came out and UE themselves didn't even comment on it initially. Instead, someone mentioned it in this same thread and a UE rep chimed in afterward.

8. royneo
    Thank you for your insights. I must have missed that post, I'll look it up once more.

9. joshuachew
    I am a Malaysian :)
    And while I was visiting the UE factory - the technicians told me that the V3 had green filters for the highs - and other than using a microphone and reading the freq chart - that is the only other way to tell.
    Hope that helps.

royneo and rantng like this.
  10. royneo
    Ah, there we go. Hope this helps others as well. Thanks for sharing!

You went all the way to their Irvine HQ? That's cool man

11. joshuachew
    No problem. So is yours the V2 or the V3?
    Yes, they invited me down for a tour so why not. Haha.

12. royneo
    Well, they're currently being shipped to me so I have no way of telling right now haha.

Superb, that's really nice of them to do so

13. amgupt01
    I’ve got a solid discount for a pair of UE CIEMs, but given the backlash against the UE 18+ 3rd generation, I’m confused if I should get it, or the UE Reference Remastered (or maybe even a different one).

The only real comparison point that I can find is Crinacle’s ranking, where both the UE 18+ 3rd gen and UERR have “A=“ ratings.

Are the changes to the UE 18+ 3rd Generation negative enough that folks would recommend something like the UE Reference Remastered instead?

Or is the 3rd gen not thaaaat bad, and just a minor disappointment compared to the 2nd Generation?

14. seedubchris
    It won’t suck or anything. Depends how picky you are about your sound . As I understand it they were trying to open up the highs with the tru tone stuff(64 audio has succeeded with their tia drivers) and might have missed the mark . I have the 18+ which is really killer. I would say you should be fine and depending on the source gear in play it might be ideal , but that’s another show.

15. kubig123
    Consider also that the 3rd Gen, comes with the linum superbax cable that based on my experience is a quite warm/dark cable that doesn't help with the treble.

i'm using a couple of different cables (silver and copper/silver) that improve the treble extension.

First

Back
15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24
26 27 28
Next

Last