1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Ultimate Ears UE PRO 18+ Discussions and Impressions

First

Back
12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21
23 24 25 26 27 28
Next

Last
  1. crinacle
    I contacted a DIYer friend who reshelled my universal UE18+ into another universal with more comfortable shell (and much better looking faceplate). I don't know if he's taking requests from the general public at the moment, but for those that do you can try your luck with AAW, Lear or Perfect Seal just to name a few.

2. soullinker20
    custom art, ambient acoustic might help reshell

3. makal_wolf
    Thanks, crinacle.

4. keithdav
    Thank you for your post. I am interested what you ended up deciding? It is not entirely clear from your post exactly which of the V2 and V3 you actually preferred?

It is hard to get any good information re the V3 (vs earlier versions). So if anyone else has anything to add, that would be great too.

5. twice tzuyu
    I ordered a pair last week

AC-12 likes this.
  6. gunbiadeex
    I went with the v3s. I didn't entirely dislike the sound signature, and I am hoping that with a custom fit, it may sound better than the experience I had with tip rolling the universals. Besides, I might get a second hand v2 to play around with as well.

7. twice tzuyu
    Thank you very much for your impressions which helped my decision to go with the v3s. I really hope I will enjoy it as I really loved the v2s.

8. gunbiadeex
    No problem. Glad to be of service.

Also, I ordered on the 13th, and my v3s arrived today. :)

9. twice tzuyu
    Congratulations on your purchase. Please share some of your initial impressions. I ordered them on the 13th too but I'm sure Jaben only sent my impressions on the 16th or 17th. I'm not expecting them to arrive so early.

10. gunbiadeex
    I'll like to spend more time with them before I make a proper impressions reply on them, but for now I will say this: some of the sibilance I got when tip rolling is now gone. Very smooth sounding and IMO laidback. Again, very different from my heir audio 8A. :wink:

twice tzuyu likes this.
  11. masahito24@chart
    I just recently received my v3, but looking for a 2.5mm or 4.4mm cable. Has there been any news on a release of an aftermarket option?

12. SteveOliver
    I would like to know the answer to that too. I did notice there are four conductors before the split so for somebody brave enough it should be quite easy to cut and DIY a 2.5mm balanced plug onto the cable it comes with.

13. SteveOliver
    A modification not for the faint hearted but I now have a balanced cable. :)

20180908_162832_HDR.jpg

Its a 2.5mm plug for now but I will swap the plug to a 4.4mm eventually.

DroidSkin likes this.
  14. DroidSkin
    I'd be interested in finding out how you did this. I've got a DX200 with Amp 8 which is 4.4 balanced and I'm due to receive a set of UE18's in the next week or so.

I've bought a spare cable with the intention of turning it into a balanced version. I may ask @Matez at Forza Audioworks to take a look at it for me if it's too complicated for me to do.

15. SteveOliver
    Its fiddly rather than difficult if you have the soldering skills. The most scary thing is cutting the old plug off, then you are beyond the point of no return.

The wires have a memory effect so tend to curl back where they came from, stripping them is difficult without a pair of good quality wire strippers too. I tried to do it without wire strippers first, I can honestly say don't try it, that was my main issue. :)

The wires are not identified so you will need a meter to identify which wire goes where, once they are identified you can cut them to the correct lengths for your choice of plug and strip them back.

Then you need to separate out the reinforcing strands within the copper? strands using whatever method you choose but get an illuminated magnifier to help with this and the soldering.

You can burn away the reinforcing strands with a lighter and then tin the wires through the enamel coating with a soldering iron before tinning the solder points on your plug and soldering the wires in place. The wire coating does melt if you use too much heat so be careful.

Cover the wires with heat shrink and add a little strain relief, after a quick test, I used some silicone and you are done.

Good luck if you decide to do it yourself.

DroidSkin likes this.
First

Back
12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21
23 24 25 26 27 28
Next

Last