Ultimate Ears UE 900 Discussion and Impressions Thread
Jan 18, 2013 at 12:19 AM Post #1,366 of 4,383
Quote:

Actually, he's the second or third person to experience that issue (reported through this thread :p).  Knowing that the EQ helped, I think it deals with the spike that is at the 10k range.  It may not register so well with his ears causing some audible anomalies.  

I guess I'm fortunate that I've never heard it, but if it takes ear splitting volume to invoke it I'm free and clear!

Jan 18, 2013 at 12:25 AM Post #1,367 of 4,383
Quote:

Still not a good analogy.  In this case, UE put too much lubricant on the port, so it would be like getting a new car, and finding out it had a little too much engine oil.  Still bad though.  But the solution would be simple, remove the excess oil.  

ah, but you can't overfill the oil reservoir on a....ah nevermind, doesn't matter in the least.  

Jan 18, 2013 at 12:55 AM Post #1,369 of 4,383
Quote:
for $400 I shouldn't have to use Deoxit

No doubt.  But it's possible that you could fix the problem in literally seconds.  What have you got to lose?

Maybe you'd prefer to continue complaining?

Jan 18, 2013 at 6:28 AM Post #1,370 of 4,383
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyro /img/forum/go_quote.gif

amanp - I think you may be on to something.  I take it you sometimes listen on the loud side?  In lieu of the problems I had with my 2 pairs when I cranked it up it definitely sounded harsher.  Didn't clip but sounded harsher.  You mentioning the screeching made me think back to this.  I didn't necessarily hear it on the left more than the right but I noticed it.

I think this is one reason I have always been a Westone and Shure fan.  With their IEM's it seem you can crank it up to ear-splitting volumes without them breaking a sweat.  Not that you would want to but many IEM's seem to sound strained at higher volumes...like you are really pushing them to the limit.  Not saying that is the case with UE900 because I did not have enough time with it.

I don't have a meter but I would guess I (not always but often) listen at 95-100dB but limit it to 30 minutes at a time.  If an IEM can't take this it is sort of a deal breaker for me.

Spyro: What source and/or amp are you using?

Quote:
Yikes!
Even for 30 minutes at a time, you are risking serious, irreversible hearing loss!

If I won't ever hear what amanp is describing unless I listen at similar volume levels, then I guess I'll never hear it!

Let's not get excited, I'm not blowing my ear drums out...yet! I appreciate that it's louder than normal but for short amounts of time e.g. 5-10 mins max with the odd song or two. I reckon they might work better with low gains, and I'll EQ some attack.
Thankfully it's snowing and I get bugger off work earlier and get cracking!

I've ordered some complys (don't like the comfort ones that it comes with) so I might be able to enjoy it at a lower volume when it provides better isolation.
Quote:
Sorry dude, I don't have the faintest idea what you're talking about.  I listened to that song in the link you posted, I didn't hear anything even remotely similar to what you described.  Neither have I heard anyone else complain of anything similar.

Whatever the defect is that's causing you trouble, apparently  it is not affecting every pair of UE900s.  I suggest you return your pair for replacement, it is most likely a sample defect.

It aint the easiest thing to describe but it sounds like a hi fi speaker/sub with the cone popped; or if you pushed the inside of the tweeter in (and broke it) then played music through. Not wanting to change the topic too much but does anyone know of an MP3 player that would work well with this. I am contemplating the Hisoundaudio Studio? something that has a decent equalizer. I think the Astel&Kern AK100 or iBasso DX100 are slightly out of my price range.

For now thought, I am going to try voodoo, snake oil, listening up side down and anything else I can think of.

Cheers,
Aman

Jan 18, 2013 at 9:11 AM Post #1,372 of 4,383
So it snowed about 2cm and all of London came to a stand still so I get to "work" from home
gs1000.gif
. That means we play FarCry 3 and start drinking at 2 as opposed to 4.

Hmmm... my new source search resumes with a bit of a push then but I still have this desire to get hold of the SM2/SM3s!

Just an update, flattening the EQ works wonders and I find it is more irritating when the phones are "cold" and not used i.e. in the morning. After leaving it playing all day again (now approx 50hours of burn in I believe) it has reduced - not completely but noticeably. There shouldn't be a need for burn in with BAs right...I presume burning the cable in then. Thankfully I haven't had the jack problems others have suggested.

I can get up to about 30 without any clipping with normal pop/rap music and still 27 with quieter music. I can live with it, I hope the "wear in" continues!

Other things I've noticed: with the M1Dac -> e9 -> UE900, my problem is more prominent with high gains. Works much better with low gains, yes the attack isn't there but it's quite a ...
"mature" sounding phone meaning timing is good, not overly attacking, not dark  but very well rounded. A jack of all trades compared to my past IEMs. I guess this headphone is designed around portable use.

Thanks for the tips and discussion! I'll be following this to see what others think of the UE900s. A confession; I think I'm judging these a bit too quick.
Best Regards,
Aman

Jan 18, 2013 at 9:19 AM Post #1,373 of 4,383
Quote:
OK because 92 pages is a lot to read, the short question: Is UE900 an improvement on TF10? 

Define improvement.

This is what you get:
- better resolution
- far better linearity
- less fatigue
- much better comfort
- better build quality (except for three unlucky buyers so far)
- much more cohesive presentation
- better timbre

All in all I'd say yes, unless you love your TF10 for insane subbass and harsh highs - which many people do!

Jan 18, 2013 at 10:10 AM Post #1,374 of 4,383
Have contacted apple store yesterday and got my replacement in today. Seems like the courier will be collecting two boxes soon as these have the same exact problem! Mind you, they have the same serial # aswell (1234).
I 100% relate to the screeching sound when played at higher volumes. in both cases it has occurred on the right earphone, the left sounds just fine even at higher volumes. I also agree to the fact is is located in a specific frequency. I have just downloaded a frequency test to see if I can pinpoint it more or less before i return them both next week. 
For those who have the UE900s I suggest two songs where it is clearly pronounced: U2- where the streets have no name and Linkin Park - points of authority. listened on an iphone 4s with volume at 80%+. Just disgusting sound, wouldnt put up with that on a 10£ headphone!
Btw, I have bought these after losing my UE700s and I have never noticed any issue whatsoever with the 700s, comfortable and good enough sound for a hundred bucks. I am now in two minds whether to try another set from a different batch, try a competitor (Westone), or simply go back to a pair of 700s 
Really disappointed.. :|

Jan 18, 2013 at 10:29 AM Post #1,375 of 4,383
Quote:

Define improvement.

This is what you get:
- better resolution
- far better linearity
- less fatigue
- much better comfort
- better build quality (except for three unlucky buyers so far)
- much more cohesive presentation
- better timbre

All in all I'd say yes, unless you love your TF10 for insane subbass and harsh highs - which many people do!

Lovely, thanks for the response. I do quite like the subbass of the TF10 but I have enough bass-heavy IEMs as it is. Considering picking a pair of these up.

Jan 18, 2013 at 10:50 AM Post #1,376 of 4,383
UE have a special place for me. The Metro.Fi.2's were my first real non-stock pair of phones (outside the sony fontopia world)!!
I loved them to bits, especially when you pop the filters off.

Every product they've produced is at a consistent level of quality (that i've heard including tripe fi 10s, super fi 5 pro, UE700, UE900. The UE900 has its problems but my fear is that these are not isolated incidents. With my link to UE is slightly sentimental which is why perhaps I give them a chance and my view is slightly tainted. All considered, I don't think I'll be buying another one of their products within the first few months of release!

ffalas, Best of luck to ya! I for one will not be running back. EarSonics are calling!

I'll tell you one thing though - Chicks aint gonna ask about SM3's but you defo get a look with the UE900s haha.

Jan 18, 2013 at 1:39 PM Post #1,378 of 4,383
I would
No doubt.  But it's possible that you could fix the problem in literally seconds.  What have you got to lose?

Maybe you'd prefer to continue complaining?

I would just like to complain because they aren't very good for $400, I personally like quality not crap! Also, UE is my fav headphone company btw

Jan 18, 2013 at 6:08 PM Post #1,379 of 4,383
Quote:
I would
I would just like to complain because they aren't very good for $400, I personally like quality not crap! Also, UE is my fav headphone company btw

A lot of people complained about the W4 when it first surfaced, too. Apparently price:problem ratio goes up dramatically after $350, despite it still being a universal.

Jan 18, 2013 at 9:42 PM Post #1,380 of 4,383
Have not heard any quality control W4 complaints upon intro.

If you flip-flopped TF10 and UE900 form factor/housings, TF10 would have a crazy resurgence and no one would buy UE900.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back