Ultimate Ears UE 900 Discussion and Impressions Thread
Jan 15, 2013 at 9:00 PM Post #1,336 of 4,383
Well, I bought a pair of these at local Apple.  I have a subtle static issue in right channel.  Possibly a problem with one of the drivers.

Serial number starts "1237" which Logitech tells me was manufactured in September.  Apple has another pair with serial number "1241" which Logitech tells me were made in November so should not exhibit the problem.

Can you guys help and check your serial numbers and let me know what 1st 4-digits are and whether you have this issue or not?  I swapped out cable and problem persists so I am pretty sure it is not a cable/connector issue.  It's a driver issue.  Piss me off!

Thanks!

Oh....and they sound phenommenal.  I definitely prefer the better clarity and airy sound over the W4 but need to get a good pair in hand. first.
Hi, spyro are you also in the uk? Got mine delivered this morning, also bought from apple store, and i have the exact same issue with static on the right channel! On higher volume backgound static sort of sounds like vynil playing and on some notes it just scratches (notced it is very pronounced in some frequencies, u2 where the streets have no name sounds particularly awful). I havent tried swapping cables and dont know the serial as i left everything back in the office but pretty sure its the right earphone - whats your plan of action? Following these pages with interest, all v.annoying :|

Jan 15, 2013 at 9:35 PM Post #1,337 of 4,383
Quote:
LOL. I don't like things pressing on my ears and you chose S4s and Monsters Golds over 530s and better Sonys. I guess way to much bass is your idea of quality. IEMs may not be for you, doesn't make them crap.

Don't bash on him for loving Bass... The 4.ai isn't the headphone for bass-lovers. :p 

Quote:
I have a long standing history of hating IEMs, basically exhausting the entire Shure product line as well as a variety of Sonys, Beats, and others...all of which I found to be essentially trash.  I stuck with a variety of beloved Sennheiser on-ear headphones until I came across the S4 from Klipsch. That humble IEM lead me to the Monster Turbine Pro Golds and my desire for better has lead me to purchase the UE 900.  

While these are the best IEMs I have ever heard, I am still not convinced they're worth $320 more than the Klipsch or $150 more than the Monsters.  Of course, the soundstage is infinitely wider and the mid-range much more buttery, but I am still struck at how weak the lower end in the UE 900 are.  I am a Comply guy and I know I am getting a good seal and proper insertion depth, but I can only assume that I have a bad copy of this IEM?  The bass is absolutely nowhere near as commanding as the reviews here would have you to believe.   The plucks of a cello on a favorite Debussy recording of mine are not as punchy as those on the Monster Turbine Pro Gold.  I will say it is perhaps more articulate in bass than the Monster Turbine Pro Gold, but the presence is just not there.

I would really suggest that you go for the 3.ai instead. :) Don't give up hope. From what everyone's said... the bass on them is phenomenal.

Jan 16, 2013 at 8:52 AM Post #1,338 of 4,383
(ffalas..no I am outside Chicago.)

BEWARE OF QUALITY CONTROL ON THIS IEM!!!

So I went back to Apple last night and got another pair.  Different lot #1235.  Same problem but it actually developed after a few minutes of listening.  Scratchiness/static on certain frequences in BOTH drivers.

In addition, I listened a bit more this morning and over 30 minutes I had the left channel completely go out for a second or two 3 times.  This is from the swivel cable connection.  The other issue is a driver issue.

I purposely bought these at a brick and mortar so I knew this would be a quick and easy return/refund if I didn't like the sound or had quality problems.  I will be taking them back today and I am done with this IEM.

2 out of 2 failures.  Poorest QC experience in all my Head-Fi years.  If any of you think I just ran into a bad lot and their QC is fine consider this.....

With BOTH pairs upon immediate first listen, there is a hideous scratchy distortion in both ears for the first 5-10 seconds.  I have read this from at least 6 other owners of this IEM.  For many I guess it went away and stayed away but mine creeped back in.  If this is what happens upon first listen, how on earth can one say these are even tested once assembled?  Impossible.  They are slapping them together putting them in a box and shipping them.  Even though there is a silly plastic piece covering the jack that says "tested".

Perhaps some of you have this issue but have overlooked it?  Very prevalent for me on slower acoustic piano and jazz guitar tracks.  It's a certain frequency or a specific driver.

On a side note, I really liked the airiness and big soundstage but overall these still do not beat my JH5 or UM3X.

Jan 16, 2013 at 3:57 PM Post #1,340 of 4,383
Got my full refund.  I can't imagine my nightmare if this was all done online and shipments of product back and forth waiting weeks??  I had a feeling I would either have quality problems or would be returning them anyway which is why I did it this way.  I wasted some drive time but have rid myself of this headache in 24 hours.

Having worked over 20 years in manufacturing, I understand that all companies can (will) have quality problems and defects but the sheer lack of any type of lot or quality control is what really bothers me.  I even talked to Logitech yesterday and asked them, "if I check other stores, can you tell me which lot numbers will be good?"  They couldn't and only suggested trying a higher lot number, hence, manufactured at a later date.  Whether the issues would have eventually went away or were intermittent, etc.  it's a problem and is unacceptable for even $10 earbuds let alone $400.  It's really shoddy QC.  Being so late in the game with a quad driver I guess they couldn't wait to get their product out there to compete with W4...quality defects and all.  Makes me appreciate Westone stuff that much more.

Jan 16, 2013 at 3:59 PM Post #1,341 of 4,383
Quote:
Got my full refund.  I can't imagine my nightmare if this was all done online and shipments of product back and forth waiting weeks??  I had a feeling I would either have quality problems or would be returning them anyway which is why I did it this way.  I wasted some drive time but have rid myself of this headache in 24 hours.

Having worked over 20 years in manufacturing, I understand that all companies can (will) have quality problems and defects but the sheer lack of any type of lot or quality control is what really bothers me.  I even talked to Logitech yesterday and asked them, "if I check other stores, can you tell me which lot numbers will be good?"  They couldn't and only suggested trying a higher lot number, hence, manufactured at a later date.  Whether the issues would have eventually went away or were intermittent, etc.  it's a problem and is unacceptable for even $10 earbuds let alone $400.  It's really shoddy QC.  Being so late in the game with a quad driver I guess they couldn't wait to get their product out there to compete with W4...quality defects and all.  Makes me appreciate Westone stuff that much more.

Just curious, did you return and exchange at the same store?  The earlier batches are the ones that were said to have the problem.  If you went through the same store over and over again, chances are that all you really did was grab from the same bad batch over and over again.  It's like going through a carton of rotten eggs and hoping for a good one, it just won't happen.  I remember when Phonak first released the PFE 1xx series and had quite a bit of QC issues with their initial batch(es).  It took them a little while to clean up, but once it was cleaned up, they prove to be one of the better built IEMs today.  

I will agree only this far with your statements, the first, older batch(es) of UE 900 had quality control issues.  No word on the newer ones.  I have a feeling that the majority with some QC issues bought from a retailer that had old stock.  I will also agree that it may be in Logitech's best advantage to do some sort of recall.  But saying all UE 900 will have QC issues may be a little overstated, the newer batches don't seem to have the problem.  

Jan 16, 2013 at 4:13 PM Post #1,342 of 4,383
First off, I don't think I said all UE900's will have quality issues?  I am relaying my experience above and buyers can decide for themselves on their confidence level with Logitech quality.  But I think I proved that they were NOT QC checking or qualifying their earlier product which is insane for a product intro.

Yes, I went to the same store because other stores did not want to deal with the issue.  And yes, I chose a different lot.  (Of course I would have not picked the same lot).  My 2nd pair was lot 1235.  You said you had lot 1234 so I figured I had a flyer and just getting a different lot would have been all it took.

Maybe someday I will get another pair.  I was really curious to hear them and now I have.  Even while I had some good sound stretches and generally like the sound, I found it more of another different flavor rather than a king of all universals type of sound.

Jan 16, 2013 at 4:20 PM Post #1,343 of 4,383
Quote:
First off, I don't think I said all UE900's will have quality issues?  I am relaying my experience above and buyers can decide for themselves on their confidence level with Logitech quality.  But I think I proved that there were NOT QC'ing their earlier product which is insane for a product intro.

Yes, I went to the same store because other stores did not want to deal with me.  And yes, I chose a different lot.  Of course I would have not picked the same lot.  My 2nd pair was lot 1235.  You said you had lot 1234 so I figured I had a flyer and just getting a different lot would have been all it took.

The way you worded and stated your information made it seem that way.  My apologies for that assumption.  The thing is, I have a feeling the store you went to purchased in bulk and got batches of bad headphones.  I do agree that Logitech should do something about it.  The problem seems to have been fixed in newer models though.  Hopefully they can get a grasp on the problem and get the cable issues fixed.  

As for the "tested" label.  I'm not exactly sure how they test them.  I think they are plugged into a machine to ensure the headphones produce noise and get marked tested (EG, the drivers fire and make sound).  I'm not sure exactly how its done.  Whatever the process, I'm sure it's mechanical, so the headphones won't be in a dynamic state (moving around) while being tested.  I generally ran into problems while the headphones physically moved (small movements created some problems).  Since the machines didn't test for that, it was passed.  Again, this is all assumption.  

Jan 16, 2013 at 4:24 PM Post #1,344 of 4,383
No problem, as you could imagine it was frustrating because I certainly would have kept them much longer to get a better feel for them since I enjoyed the sound.

For what it's worth, from memory I think they sounded real close to the Grado GR10,  only difference being UE900 sounding a bit more open.  But real similar sound sig.

Jan 16, 2013 at 4:34 PM Post #1,345 of 4,383
Quote:
No problem, as you could imagine it was frustrating because I certainly would have kept them much longer to get a better feel for them since I enjoyed the sound.

For what it's worth, from memory I think they sounded real close to the Grado GR10,  only difference being UE900 sounding a bit more open.  But real similar sound sig.

Definitely is frustrating to get a product and find out it doesn't work too well.  Replace it and get the same outcome :frowning2:  I feel for you :frowning2:  Hopefully Logitech rids of the old batch some how, in many ways, it will deter buyers :frowning2:  

Jan 16, 2013 at 4:43 PM Post #1,346 of 4,383
Westone had issues as well, many W4s weren't matched well and the RC versions had connector issues as well. Things like these happen, can't dub it as having overall poor QC yet, specially since it seems to be an accepted and addressed issue. 

Jan 16, 2013 at 4:53 PM Post #1,348 of 4,383
Quote:
Had mine since they got released and have had no problems. Look at the brightside, the QC couldn't be any worse than with Monster iems!

Oh yeah, horror stories about the Turbine series :p  I had no problem with my Gratitudes tough, nor my Inspiration.  Liked both headphones.  

Jan 16, 2013 at 10:44 PM Post #1,350 of 4,383
Quote:
They need a recall! I have read people having so many problems

Well, I haven't had problem number 1.  I'm not suggesting that your problem isn't important, just saying that it may be premature to call for a recall.

Have you tried cleaning/dressing your connections with Deoxit?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back