Ultimate Ears UE 900 Discussion and Impressions Thread
Sep 4, 2012 at 5:53 AM Post #301 of 4,383
Quote:

Lovely argument that, when cables can cost half a new pair of high end iems, the connectors are themselves points of failure (I should know, the socket on my ER-4P came off with the plug...), and the IEMs themselves can fail for any number of reasons (I should know, the etys broke 4 times on me, none of them cable-related failure and once caused by the removable cable design (again, the socket coming off...)
rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif

Do you have an IEM who's socket broke or failed that wasn't an Etymotic?  How old were these Etymotics? You name Etymotic specifically, the post would have a lot more authority behind it if it wasn't just targeting Etymotic (the problem might lie in that company (and yourself maybe), although I haven't heard too many problems with them). 

Sep 4, 2012 at 6:49 AM Post #302 of 4,383
Quote:

Lovely argument that, when cables can cost half a new pair of high end iems, the connectors are themselves points of failure (I should know, the socket on my ER-4P came off with the plug...), and the IEMs themselves can fail for any number of reasons (I should know, the etys broke 4 times on me, none of them cable-related failure and once caused by the removable cable design (again, the socket coming off...)
rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif

Well ofcourse, there are those who are willing to pay 3 times more than the IEM itself because it is believe it is sonically making a difference. Hell if I paid 3 times more than my IEM alone I would also imagine things.

But for the rest of us, considering how I have never broken any of my IEM connectors but I had to change the cable due to to lousy 90 degree male connector I say the odds of damaging the connector than the cable is much less.

Anyone it is not an argument, it is an opinion, people like removable cable, now days it is not considered an option, luxury but it is more is of a norm amoung the enthusiast. I respect vsonic, their original design lacked removable cable but they listen to the community and now include removable cable.

The etymotic are not designed for endless cable swapping, 

Sep 4, 2012 at 9:04 AM Post #304 of 4,383
Quote:

Do you have an IEM who's socket broke or failed that wasn't an Etymotic?  How old were these Etymotics? You name Etymotic specifically, the post would have a lot more authority behind it if it wasn't just targeting Etymotic (the problem might lie in that company (and yourself maybe), although I haven't heard too many problems with them). 

It would, but then I would be lying
tongue.gif
, since indeed I have only had Etymotic cable-swappable IEMs.  The Etymotics were 10 years old but had just come back from a driver change when the socket broke.  I wasn't cable swapping, the sound had started getting intermittent so I plugged and unplugged the cable hoping to fix the issue.  After a few tries the socket came off.

I've actually switched to the MC5, and while I don't know whether they will be sturdier because of the non-removable cable, I do know that it will be cheaper to replace them (about as cheap as sending the ER-4 back for repair once) and I'm liking the sound just as much.

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Sep 4, 2012 at 10:03 AM Post #305 of 4,383
Quote:

It would, but then I would be lying
tongue.gif
, since indeed I have only had Etymotic cable-swappable IEMs.  The Etymotics were 10 years old but had just come back from a driver change when the socket broke.  I wasn't cable swapping, the sound had started getting intermittent so I plugged and unplugged the cable hoping to fix the issue.  After a few tries the socket came off.

I've actually switched to the MC5, and while I don't know whether they will be sturdier because of the non-removable cable, I do know that it will be cheaper to replace them (about as cheap as sending the ER-4 back for repair once) and I'm liking the sound just as much.

Just because it happened to one model of IEM doesn't mean it'll happen for all models that may or may not even use the same sockets/connection systems. Something that is ten years old is bound to break down one time or another.

Sep 4, 2012 at 11:10 AM Post #306 of 4,383
Quote:
Just because it happened to one model of IEM doesn't mean it'll happen for all models that may or may not even use the same sockets/connection systems. Something that is ten years old is bound to break down one time or another.

Except they had gone in and out of repairs 3 times during those ten years.  They were just out of their last repair for a month or two for a driver replacement, which meant replacing the whole unit, housing, socket and all.  To be fair I don't know if they replaced one or both units this time around, but the last two times they broke they stated they replaced both units.  So the socket that broke could not have seen anywhere near 10 years of use (and I'd never changed cables.  The cable did get changed once or twice when the phones went in for repair.)  I'm not saying the socket breaking isn't a fluke, just trying to clarify things a bit.

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Sep 4, 2012 at 11:20 AM Post #307 of 4,383
A couple more notes...  

The nozzle is smaller than the triple.fi's  there is a ring or barb if you will around the nozzle to help keep the ear cushions on, but the diameter of the bore is def smaller than my triples.  

The spinny nature of the connections has no crackle etc... but like someone pointed out, you really don't need it to spin, and  a couple times the cord came out from behind my ear due to it being able to spin aorund.  Not a biggie, but, yeah, they really don't need to spin.

Treble energy is there just as much as the triples to me, at first I thought it was less, but that was with poorer quality streaming music. 

Details I think are better than the triples, as I said before... even synth bass I can hear the artificial texture of a dubstep drop more clearly.

I have not heard any hiss from any of my devices... iphone, laptop, clip+.

They fit extremely well, I ran a couple 5K's around the neighborhood over the long weekend and didn't have to adjust them once.    

Regarding the V signature... I am somewhat dense about this... but from what I remember of the se425's which were supposed to be flat I think, these have much more bass both in quantity and in extension, and the same for treble.  Don't get me wrong though, they won't compare to the bass in the she3580 etc..  So compared to some I've heard they are relatively V sounding, lol.

Sep 4, 2012 at 12:49 PM Post #309 of 4,383
Quote:

Except they had gone in and out of repairs 3 times during those ten years.  They were just out of their last repair for a month or two for a driver replacement, which meant replacing the whole unit, housing, socket and all.  To be fair I don't know if they replaced one or both units this time around, but the last two times they broke they stated they replaced both units.  So the socket that broke could not have seen anywhere near 10 years of use (and I'd never changed cables.  The cable did get changed once or twice when the phones went in for repair.)  I'm not saying the socket breaking isn't a fluke, just trying to clarify things a bit.

But the fact is that it only failed on the Etymotics...  Nothing else that you've had confirmed yet.  How can you transfer the fact that one model might have a bug = all models will have bugs...  You're generalizing the problem in an unfair way.  It's like me saying that I had 1 pair (I've actually had about 5 total) of cabled IEMs go bad, therefore all cabled IEMs are bad and inferior.  It makes no sense...  It's illogical. 

You're basing all your evidence on one model.  Maybe it's a flaw with the model, not all models of that type.  If you had tested say the Westone W4R, the Phonak PFE 232, UE TF10, Shure SE535, etc on top of the Etymotic and had them all fail in similar ways, I'd believe your claim had something behind it.  Since you haven't/can't yet, your claim holds no energy. 

Sep 4, 2012 at 6:59 PM Post #312 of 4,383
frown.gif
UE 900s didn't come today.  They'll come to my house tomorrow...  Only problem is that I'll be 50 miles away until Thursday
frown.gif
I was hoping, guess not yet...  I did get something else though
wink_face.gif

Sep 4, 2012 at 10:28 PM Post #313 of 4,383
Quote:
frown.gif
UE 900s didn't come today.  They'll come to my house tomorrow...  Only problem is that I'll be 50 miles away until Thursday
frown.gif
I was hoping, guess not yet...  I did get something else though
wink_face.gif

congrats, please open an impression, apperciation thread if you can. 

Thanks

Sep 4, 2012 at 10:33 PM Post #314 of 4,383
Here is email I got in regards to the price difference:
=-=

[size=11pt]Hi xxxxx[/size]

[size=11pt]Thanks for contacting us.[/size]

[size=11pt]In response to your query regarding price differences.[/size]

[size=11pt]You are correct that there is a difference in pricing and there are an abundance of reasons for this with many out of our control such as Australian  tax laws, product certification requirements etc. We do try as hard as possible within the framework of our business model to provide products which are as competitively priced as possible. It's a challenge nearly all companies in Australia which need to import their products face from clothes to cars, we all face very similar constraints and challenges..[/size]

[size=11pt]Having said that, it is important to bear in mind that the prices on our website are only an estimate or guide . If you do a look around  retailers’ stores, resellers’ and other types of  on-line stores and even the logitechshop eBay store which is  run by one of our resellers you should be able to  find some amazing deals for Logitech products which are well below the estimated prices given on our Australian website.[/size]

[size=11pt]We at Logitech firmly believe that we should allow  the marketplace to determine the appropriate prices for  our products, and the fact that there are examples all the time which are well below our Australian website’s estimated prices, or even the US website shows that the marketplace Is a healthy and active one.[/size]

[size=11pt]If you want to check some sites which often have competitive prices (but please note that these businesses are independently owned and operated ), we would suggest that you try the below retailers for pricing.[/size]

*removed the sites due to adv issue*

[size=11pt]Thanks for your support of Logitech and we hope that you find some great Logitech products at the prices you think are appropriate.[/size]

Sep 4, 2012 at 10:45 PM Post #315 of 4,383
Quote:
congrats, please open an impression, apperciation thread if you can. 

Thanks

I will see what I can do about that.  IDK if I'll have the time to keep up with it (after seeing what the Aurisonics thread blew up into XD). 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back