Ultimate Ears UE 900 Discussion and Impressions Thread
Aug 6, 2014 at 8:21 PM Post #3,586 of 4,383
I'm starting to wonder if the real reason the 900 is getting so much hate is because of how quickly it got outclassed by the newer quads and even the newer dynamics. Yes the 900 have construction faults big ones at that, but I also believe that what I stated above plays a role

Aug 6, 2014 at 8:38 PM Post #3,587 of 4,383
A lotta people (me included) never even considered it an upgrade to the TF10.   UE900 had a clearer midrange but treble and bass is superior on TF10.  Soundstage is about the same on both.

Aug 7, 2014 at 5:25 AM Post #3,588 of 4,383
I wouldn't call the bass and high on the triple fi 10 superior, I think different would be more appropriate. But overall the ue900 is not a significant upgrade from the triple fi 10, its more of a refinement

Aug 7, 2014 at 5:38 AM Post #3,589 of 4,383
A lotta people (me included) never even considered it an upgrade to the TF10.   UE900 had a clearer midrange but treble and bass is superior on TF10.  Soundstage is about the same on both.

I must admit, I thought the same when I first upgraded because the triple Fi are so upfront and "in your face". However, now I find the ue900 a much nicer listen. I think "more refined" is a perfect description. Comparing the two now the treble can sound a bit grainy on the triple fi. The comfort and look of the ue900 is also a million times better than the triple fi, which is arguably, the best, and most needed improvement, between them. The bass is definitely more present and has greater attack on the triple fi.

Aug 20, 2014 at 8:14 PM Post #3,592 of 4,383
I Guss you can, it started hopping about a week ago and I notice the left side sound lower then the right and if I open my mouth and close it will go back to normal for a sec, then I tried moving the left side around and no sound came out and I heard rapid clicking sound or taping. And went back to be lowering then the right side when I stop moving them around. The past few days it would go back to normal but then back to doing what I describe above after maybe 45 mim to 6o min

Aug 21, 2014 at 11:43 AM Post #3,593 of 4,383
Who have the cutting in and out sound problem, are you tried to use any aftermarket cables with gold plated connectors?
I also have the same issue with original cables, but never faced out with that problem with aftermarket cables.

Aug 21, 2014 at 12:09 PM Post #3,594 of 4,383
I Guss you can, it started hopping about a week ago and I notice the left side sound lower then the right and if I open my mouth and close it will go back to normal for a sec, then I tried moving the left side around and no sound came out and I heard rapid clicking sound or taping. And went back to be lowering then the right side when I stop moving them around. The past few days it would go back to normal but then back to doing what I describe above after maybe 45 mim to 6o min

I'd be tempted to detach the cables and give the connections a really good clean on both cables and buds with something like a toothbrush with a tiny amount of rubbing alcohol on it as first port of call. Just to make sure its not a connection issue. Does it do the same with the black and blue cables? Do you wear them for sports, could sweat have got into them?

Aug 21, 2014 at 12:09 PM Post #3,595 of 4,383
At this point with how things are going I would contact Logitech rather sooner than later. The UE 900/ 900s are no longer available; it says Sold Out on their websites. I am really starting to doubt if we are going to see the 900/ 900s line again. 
I have random issues with the connectors and after someone posted here that he was told by customer service that they can't replace his earphones and was offered the UE Boom instead it's just sad altogether. 

Aug 21, 2014 at 12:25 PM Post #3,596 of 4,383
Well my USB cable for the uS is giving out; any recommendations on an affordable replacement? I'm interested in low price, high durability; those with recommendations based on sound are welcome but I'm not spending more than $20 on a USB cable.

Same size as the original (1 ft I think? Maybe 10 inches?) would be nice, but I'd like something more durable.

Aug 21, 2014 at 1:37 PM Post #3,597 of 4,383
i had the ue900 and sold them, i didnt experience any problems with mine except the unbearable distortion at high volume, replaced them with westone w40 and much prefer the fit and cable, the ue900 has slightly better highs as the westone can be sharp, kind of on the lines of sony ex1000 sharp at times, it is detailed and clean most of the time but the ue900 was smoother and never spiked. the bass tho, the westone have the ue900 beaten here for sure. its clean, and displays more bass, certainly a warmer headphone and about the same extension as the ue900, both dont extend as well as the ex1000 but the westone has the most quantity of bass of these and its perfectly to my taste so im very happy with these now. besides the fit and finish of the westone is first class. i had reservations about the epic cable because it seemed so thin but its brilliant, the ue900 has thicker braiding but it tangles like hell, the westone hardly tangles at all and is so comfortable even more so as it has no ear hooks or guides.

anyway ill save my westone w40 review for another page.

the ue900 was a nice set of in ears but looking back they are clearly not the best made, i mean those non gold plated connectors have been telling a story for some time now, not a good one. i liked the cables but they were tangle prone, the case was nice but not terribly secure, the westone case as reference is much more secure but not as pretty and a bit small.

the biggest flaw for the ue for me was they just couldnt be driven very hard, again in comparison the westone are blisteringly loud and clean at any volume and its just nice to know that in your mind the drivers can handle whatever you throw at them, the ue900 just didnt fill me with that confidence and i just knew the bass drivers just couldnt take it, is this the housing, the drivers, the cables blah blah who knows. it just wasnt great.

its a shame because a bit more time spent on quality checking these could have been excellent.

Aug 21, 2014 at 2:33 PM Post #3,599 of 4,383
yeh i think thats the gist of it to be honest. i mean you have to remember Ultimate Ears started off relatively small and so you can imagine the expertise that was hired to engineer their highest quality in ear monitors, it wasnt any old tom dick and harry thats for sure, logitech is obviously much more a worldwide brand in which headphones is not all they produce and will be producing these earphones at a much larger and quicker rate. i dont imagine somebody at the head of logitech deliberately hiring a select few people who have expertise in this regard to design and produce these monitors for example. this is the impression that is given when its clear not enough testing time has been given.

then again i could be completely wrong. which would be suprising.

Aug 22, 2014 at 1:26 PM Post #3,600 of 4,383
Its definitely driver flex that I'm experiencing, switching cabels dose not work and I'm very familiar with the cutting in and out and getting sweat in the driver and this is not that. My warrenty is about to expire and I don't think logetech even have any 900 to replace with

Users who are viewing this thread

Back