Ultimate Ears UE 900 Discussion and Impressions Thread
Jun 13, 2014 at 10:35 AM Post #3,466 of 4,383
No matter how you sugarcoat it their consumer line has been vanished and was left with the controversy 900s/900. For people who are familiar with Ultimate Ears, JH Audio is their stiff competitor.
Why go with a company that once was innovative and associated with Jerry Harvey and not go straight to the source?
If was in the market for high end earphones I would have gone with JH Audio and not with a company that just destroyed its consumer line. Ultimate Ears is Logitech now. There is no Jerry Harvey behind it, yeah, the same Jerry Harvey who made Ultimate Ears so good, or should I say used to be...

The UERM was created after JH himself left UE. JH has its own set of problem which I'm not going to discuss here but the UE experience has nothing been short of excellent. The UERM is also the best iem I have of all time.

This is a free market so it is important to have accurate information floating around.

Jun 13, 2014 at 11:25 AM Post #3,467 of 4,383
The UERM was created after JH himself left UE. JH has its own set of problem which I'm not going to discuss here but the UE experience has nothing been short of excellent. The UERM is also the best iem I have of all time.

This is a free market so it is important to have accurate information floating around.

Just to clarify; I was referring to Ultimate Ears in general ---> Jerry Harvey, pre-Logitech era. Correct me if I am wrong but the TF10 were his last product with the company per se.

Jun 14, 2014 at 4:25 AM Post #3,468 of 4,383
My friends UE900 broke a few days ago, this is what happened to it.

The problem it had is strange, right side started to have connection issues so
my friend wanted to try and switch the cabled but he couldn't.
He said that they were stuck but he could still rotate them. He then managed to pull too hard and break it.

I've helped him contact Logitech UE, they said they're going to send the new UE900s.

I had this same issue with a pair except I was really careful not to put pressure on the faceplate knowing that seperation at this point was a known issue. Instead on mine, the black plastic connector at the top of the cable sheared off leaving the metal connector still in place. Any ideas what's causing the cables to stick like this but still be rotatable?

Jun 14, 2014 at 2:40 PM Post #3,470 of 4,383
Tight components? Either the female MMCX or the male MMCX connector is out of spec.

I managed to remove the other side cable without damaging it and noticed there was corrosion inside. It made me wonder if people experiencing this problem were using them in the gym. The over the ear design means that they would be prone to sweat running down the connector. Personally I just use crappy buds in the gym. Just a thought?

Jun 15, 2014 at 5:17 AM Post #3,471 of 4,383
I managed to remove the other side cable without damaging it and noticed there was corrosion inside. It made me wonder if people experiencing this problem were using them in the gym. The over the ear design means that they would be prone to sweat running down the connector. Personally I just use crappy buds in the gym. Just a thought?

Well, my friend mostly used these when he was cycling. It might be that. He's going to receive the UE900s on monday. Hope it'll be the actual new one and not a old UE900 with an s added to it.

Jun 15, 2014 at 5:35 AM Post #3,472 of 4,383
Well, my friend mostly used these when he was cycling. It might be that. He's going to receive the UE900s on monday. Hope it'll be the actual new one and not a old UE900 with an s added to it.

Might be worth advising him to use something a bit less expensive when exercising or sealing the connection with a bit of electrical tape or something. The problem is, they sound so good you want to wear them at every opportunity. I'd bet my bottom dollar that the new connection fluid or whatever they call it is basically something that repels moisture.

Jun 18, 2014 at 12:46 PM Post #3,473 of 4,383
I bought the UE900 dented box (box looks fine to me) off of Logitech so I have something I can let others use (after cleaning). I was very frustrated with being able to tell my friends just how good HD audio sounds (on my Fiio X3 & UE Pro 7 Customs) and not have anyway to let them hear at least part of what I hear. The UE900 will afford me the opportunity to indulge my friends who say "Prove it."

At first listen they are a bit more boomy (base heavy) than my 7's, but they are brand new and I suspect there will be some difference between the triple armature 7's and quad armature in the UE900 (damn it why did they have to call the new ones UE900s, how am I supposed to refer to the standard UE900? Just saying UE900 feels weird. /rant off)

I'm going to work them for a while and see how or if they change over time. It would be easy to remember how much I paid for them and deem them "Awesome", but I'll leave that to the sheepeople who buy Beats. :D

Jun 18, 2014 at 2:16 PM Post #3,474 of 4,383
Does anyone know the cause of channel imbalance with overall loss of premium sound? Does it mean a driver is blown/broken because all my UE earphones have suffered that same fate.. my UE900 went after 8 months of daily use in right channel imbalance with overall dull, muffled, bassless sound in both earphones..

I have a set of warranty replacement UE900s being delivered tomorrow but will only have 30 day maximum warranty, I've listed a classified ad on head-fi if anyone who is in the United Kingdom is interested in purchasing them from me 24 hour next day delivery via Royal Mail.. I'm also throwing in the failed set of UE900 with all the accessories, cables and packaging for £200 total delivered but only purchase if you're aware of past and present history of Ultimate Ears 900 and the Ultimate Ears brand..

Jun 18, 2014 at 9:12 PM Post #3,475 of 4,383
Idk the reason but I do know what you are talking about, a few of my replacement sounded dull after a few months, its not just the bass it was everything, but my last replacement the one that I have now been ok for about almost a year now so idk what to tell you, ue said they been making small changes to the ue 900 so who knows what they did

Jun 21, 2014 at 8:10 PM Post #3,476 of 4,383
Hey, If anyone wants to buy the 900s off me factory sealed without 2 year manufacturers warranty (only 30 day maximum) I'm lowering the price to £175 delivered (UK Only).. Given my experience with multiple failed sets of Ultimate Ear earphones I plan to sell 900s and pay the additional £35 and purchase the 900 brand new in order to benefit from manufacturers 2 year warranty.. 900s currently sell at a market price of £250 and I'm willing to throw in the failed set of 900 with all the available packaging, cables and accessories but there is no guarantee the earphones will last longer than 30 day warranty.. buy at own risk. Item location is in Torbay, Devon.

Jun 22, 2014 at 12:09 PM Post #3,477 of 4,383

does people think just because JH is no longer there that this company is stupid and not know what they are doing..think they just scrapped everything and started over..i think not.. i would love to try the uerm..maybe one day,,i also think that all the defective product you hear about on here from this company is far and few inbetween from what this product really is..i think people like to just hear their selfs speak sometimes..im sure everyother company has their problems to,, ive had the ue900 and loved it so much im recieving another pair next week and cant wait to recieve them again,,ive had them at the same time as i had the w4r and thought the ue900 was a better sounding iem,, just my own opinion,, happy listening

Jun 22, 2014 at 10:04 PM Post #3,479 of 4,383

does people think just because JH is no longer there that this company is stupid and not know what they are doing..think they just scrapped everything and started over..i think not.. i would love to try the uerm..maybe one day,,i also think that all the defective product you hear about on here from this company is far and few inbetween from what this product really is..i think people like to just hear their selfs speak sometimes..im sure everyother company has their problems to,, ive had the ue900 and loved it so much im recieving another pair next week and cant wait to recieve them again,,ive had them at the same time as i had the w4r and thought the ue900 was a better sounding iem,, just my own opinion,, happy listening

UE use to be just about IEM's.  Jerry Harvey was a founder and masterminded the TF10.  Logitech knows nothing about IEM's. They just acquired UE as a side market niche.   It's not what they do.  They hired a couple slugs to manage that division and it has suffered since.  Jerry Harvey moved on and created JH Audio.  As far as success in IEM's goes, I think Jerry made out much better.  Logitech still struggling with IEM's.  They seemingly assumed it was a simple turnkey operation but look at the disaster that has happened?  Their flagship UE900 is routinely beaten relentlessly by a multitude of IEM's half it's price.   And was a general downgrade to TF10.   Also hard to pull a fast one on such astute IEM's fanatics like ourselves  
smile.gif

Jun 22, 2014 at 10:37 PM Post #3,480 of 4,383
  UE use to be just about IEM's.  Jerry Harvey was a founder and masterminded the TF10.  Logitech knows nothing about IEM's. They just acquired UE as a side market niche.   It's not what they do.  They hired a couple slugs to manage that division and it has suffered since.  Jerry Harvey moved on and created JH Audio.  As far as success in IEM's goes, I think Jerry made out much better.  Logitech still struggling with IEM's.  They seemingly assumed it was a simple turnkey operation but look at the disaster that has happened?  Their flagship UE900 is routinely beaten relentlessly by a multitude of IEM's half it's price.   And was a general downgrade to TF10.   Also hard to pull a fast one on such astute IEM's fanatics like ourselves  
smile.gif

Agreed. Not to mention that they completely wiped out the entire consumer line with the exception of the UE 900/900s which is all one big saga thus far.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back