Ultimate Ears UE 900 Discussion and Impressions Thread
Jun 6, 2014 at 6:49 PM Post #3,421 of 4,383
  Thanks! BTW, saw you over at TheVerge. Didn't know you read that site too lol.

I am a voracious reader of The Verge, but only started commenting recently. It's my favourite tech news site and I followed Joshua when he moved over from Engadget.

Jun 6, 2014 at 7:54 PM Post #3,422 of 4,383
@slimshadymj, I know they did more then that. I was just stating that there are playing a game with the wording they use. Its likely that the ue900s and 900 are different in sound. Ue avoided answering that question about the 900s. They really didt tell us anything about the 900s. What they really said in that stsment is. Look we made a new version of the 900 but they wast ready for production so in the mean time we sent every one a 900 with udated accessorys. When the real 900s are ready for production we will let the community know and you will be Abel to send it in for the real 900s. Because this is false advertisements we are going to remove the s from the 900 so we won't get sued. Furthermore were not going to not mention the other changes on the 900s and selectively answer the question of the difference between the two. The one we choice to answer is the difference in color of the connector. And we can guarantee that the color dose not affect sound change on both the 900 and 900s. Thank you for understanding. That what there saying when you read between the line. Hope that made things clear slimshadymj

Jun 6, 2014 at 8:03 PM Post #3,423 of 4,383
@tommy C. I agree100%. Even if the 900s are good the damage is done. My next iem probably won't be from Logitech. There reputation is definitely stain after this one. I would of much rather they came clean gave an apology and say they will resolve the issue. Which they are.then the statement they gave. I wouldn't be suprise if the 900 is there last universal. They seem to be getting rid of there consumer line up and going in a different direction with Logitech ue. Who knows they might just only make custom and use the universal line to sell only boombox

Jun 6, 2014 at 8:12 PM Post #3,424 of 4,383
I believe they changed the position of the drivers and instead of glue, they use something else entirely to hold it together. There was also that bore. That could ~maybe~ make a difference. I'm not too sure.
So no, they didn't only change the connector based on what I've read so far.
I happen to have a pair of UE900 that have broken open on the right bud. I was suprised to see that inside the drivers are not just held in place by glue (as it appears from outside the shell) but there is actually a white plastic housing that the drivers sit in.

Jun 7, 2014 at 5:01 AM Post #3,425 of 4,383
Although my UE900s look identical to the UE900, they do sound very different. However, I'm not so sure if UE900 lovers would like the UE900s sound signature.

Quote:
  So it's clear now that the 900s and the 900 are identical sound wise until they slowly transition to the new all blue shell; and even then according to Logitech the sound should remain the same.  The only difference is the gel and some tips. So why call it 900s then? They should have waited with the new packaging and avoid the confusion, since their website clearly shows the new 900s. 
On a side note, it's just a shame how Logitech took over Ultimate Ears and within a few years just wiped out all of their consumer line and left us with the 900s. 

Jun 7, 2014 at 11:57 AM Post #3,426 of 4,383

Yeah I remember you mentioned that which is the exact opposite of what Rory from Logitech was telling us just a couple of days ago here in the thread. I also remember about the pinhole bore getting clogged etc or it could be variations from one pair to another. At this point your guess is as good as mine. The official response from Logitech is that they are identical and only the gel and the tips making it 900s... Go figure. 

Jun 7, 2014 at 12:35 PM Post #3,427 of 4,383
  Yeah I remember you mentioned that which is the exact opposite of what Rory from Logitech was telling us just a couple of days ago here in the thread. I also remember about the pinhole bore getting clogged etc or it could be variations from one pair to another. At this point your guess is as good as mine. The official response from Logitech is that they are identical and only the gel and the tips making it 900s... Go figure. 

I always take a second guess on what most reps say.  They generally are trying to push a product, they are trying to sell it still.  In this case, however, I have to agree with Rory.  If the housing structure and drivers are the same, the sound will be the same assuming tips don't change (tips can change the sound of an IEM).  The only sound differences that will occur is due to driver variation among other factors (tips, bore, etc.).  However, in this case, the pinhole bore is much more sensitive than what a tip change can offer. 

I still remember when Westone reps stated that the W40 and W4(R) were different and sounded different due to different acoustics.  Measurements showed the exact opposite. 

Jun 7, 2014 at 1:12 PM Post #3,428 of 4,383

I always take a second guess on what most reps say.  They generally are trying to push a product, they are trying to sell it still.  In this case, however, I have to agree with Rory.  If the housing structure and drivers are the same, the sound will be the same assuming tips don't change (tips can change the sound of an IEM).  The only sound differences that will occur is due to driver variation among other factors (tips, bore, etc.).  However, in this case, the pinhole bore is much more sensitive than what a tip change can offer. 

I still remember when Westone reps stated that the W40 and W4(R) were different and sounded different due to different acoustics.  Measurements showed the exact opposite. 

I agree. To sum it up in case you missed it;  @Danz03 had the 900 and didn't like them, then when the 900s (the ones that are identical to the 900) came out he tried them and liked them a lot. A few days later he went to to demo the 900 again and said they sounded different from that he remembered, not a bass-light IEM but a bit muffled. Correct me if I am wrong Danz03?
So my guess was that the UE 900 at the store were clogged (pinhole bore),  compare to his new pair of 900s, maybe even a different cable, since I noticed with mine that the black vs the blue cable don't sound the same. 

Jun 7, 2014 at 7:11 PM Post #3,429 of 4,383
http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Ultimate-Noise-Isolating-Earphones-VERSION/dp/B00JB66VX4/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1402182583&sr=8-2&keywords=UE+900

Did they fix the cord issue?

Jun 7, 2014 at 10:50 PM Post #3,431 of 4,383
@slimshadymj, I know they did more then that. I was just stating that there are playing a game with the wording they use. Its likely that the ue900s and 900 are different in sound. Ue avoided answering that question about the 900s. They really didt tell us anything about the 900s. What they really said in that stsment is. Look we made a new version of the 900 but they wast ready for production so in the mean time we sent every one a 900 with udated accessorys. When the real 900s are ready for production we will let the community know and you will be Abel to send it in for the real 900s. Because this is false advertisements we are going to remove the s from the 900 so we won't get sued. Furthermore were not going to not mention the other changes on the 900s and selectively answer the question of the difference between the two. The one we choice to answer is the difference in color of the connector. And we can guarantee that the color dose not affect sound change on both the 900 and 900s. Thank you for understanding. That what there saying when you read between the line. Hope that made things clear slimshadymj

Ah I see. Damn corporate double speak! lol Guess we'll just have to wait for Lachlan's interview or what whatever (hopefully it's through video and can be uploaded to youtube) to get an answer not written by hours of PR work.
TBH, this whole thing is really leaving a sour taste in my mouth, and I haven't even bought the 900s yet. Gotta feel for those who did shell out the $400.

Jun 7, 2014 at 11:43 PM Post #3,432 of 4,383
  Ah I see. Damn corporate double speak! lol Guess we'll just have to wait for Lachlan's interview or what whatever (hopefully it's through video and can be uploaded to youtube) to get an answer not written by hours of PR work.
TBH, this whole thing is really leaving a sour taste in my mouth, and I haven't even bought the 900s yet. Gotta feel for those who did shell out the $400.

It was too hard to co ordinate times for a phone call because I am in Australia, so we will communicate via Email. I did however send off a list of questions which I'm happy to make publicly available:

1. It's well documented that users experienced failures with UE900's due to earpiece construction. Rory Doooley mentioned in the Head Fi thread that since launch the UE900 saw changes to the connector and faceplate. Can you comment on those issues, and how did you address those issues?  
2. If you are happy with the reliability of these fixes, why did you continue making changes to the manufacturing techniques as seen in the blue connector versions of the UE900s in Japanese media?

3. Specifically, Japanese media reports that the UE900s now has a one piece earpiece construction using sonic welding. Why was this change made?

4. Japanese media reports that the UE900s drivers are now held in place using a plastic assembly rather than glue. Why was this change made?

5. Why was the warranty reduced from 2 years to 1 year in a number of markets with the introduction of the UE900s?

6. Given that your marketing material and packaging depict the UE900s with the blue connector and apparently the same changes as those reported in Japanese media, do you think that customers would expect to have received something different when they ordered the UE900s?

7. You state that you will now remove the S from the packaging of black connector UE900s units until you sell through these units. How do you explain this decision?

8. Given the confusion caused by this issue, do you think you would have launched this product differently?

9. One interpretation of this issue is that Logitech was attempting to sell old parts in a new box, with pricing higher than current street prices for the UE900. How do you respond to this claim?

10. A common narrative on Head Fi is that since acquisition by Logitech, quality control for UE's product line has suffered. Why do you think some people have this view and how would you respond to it?

11. Logitech has discontinued many products from the UE product line. What is the expectation for the UE consumer brand going forward? 

I believe these questions get to the heart of what is at issue here. I can't imagine that every question can be answered, but I hope we can get a more detailed response.

Jun 8, 2014 at 1:38 AM Post #3,433 of 4,383

It was too hard to co ordinate times for a phone call because I am in Australia, so we will communicate via Email. I did however send off a list of questions which I'm happy to make publicly available:

I believe these questions get to the heart of what is at issue here. I can't imagine that every question can be answered, but I hope we can get a more detailed response.

I was hoping for video because it would make it harder for them not to answer the questions and have a bunch of PR dudes backing them up since it would put them on the spot. Well anything's better than nothing. II hope we get a detailed response too. Those are definitely the right questions, now if only they answer them....
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 8, 2014 at 9:58 AM Post #3,435 of 4,383
@ slimshadymj Those question are very specific and it will make it harder for Logitech to give a vague response. So if they do decide to answer any of them it will have to be a real response no bs cutting around the bush

Users who are viewing this thread

Back