Ultimate Ears UE 900 Discussion and Impressions Thread
Jun 5, 2014 at 5:36 PM Post #3,406 of 4,383
Reached out?  They were dug in the ribs time and time again by people here and finally awoke from their slumber.

I was told by Logitech a few days ago that they were going to reach out to him about his video and they did. Just saying I'm glad they did what they said they were going to do.

Jun 5, 2014 at 6:17 PM Post #3,407 of 4,383

I was told yesterday by Logitech email support that they should finally have an answer for me within 24-48 hours. That's after almost 2 weeks of going back and forth with them via email support.

Hello,

I'm Rory, the general manager of Ultimate Ears. 

We are aware of the confusion around the UE 900s earphones and wanted to provide clarification. Everyone who has purchased a pair of UE 900s earphones is being sent the correct product, which we fully stand behind in terms of robustness and reliability. 

The UE 900 earphones and the UE 900s earphones are sonically identical - both are tested and measured against the exact same specification. The differences between the two earphones are the packaging and the contents within the box. With the UE 900s, the customer now has a better way to find the right eartip to fit their own ear, and the necessary tools to ensure ongoing maintenance. Since we introduced the UE 900 earphones, we have made adjustments to improve the product reliability, most notably around the connector and faceplate, which were applied to the UE 900s earphones as well. 

Also, as a result of new manufacturing techniques, some customers are receiving UE 900s earphones with a blue connector and some are receiving UE 900s earphones with a black connector, which has no impact on sound quality or reliability. As we manufacture more UE 900s earphones, you should expect to see more blue connectors in the market. We will notify the Head-Fi community as soon as the UE 900s earphones with the blue connector are available on ultimateears.com, which is the only official distribution channel for the U.S. and Europe. To help alleviate any potential confusion in China, Hong Kong and Korea specifically, where the product is more broadly distributed, we are removing the “s” from the packaging until we sell through the earphones with the black connector.

Jun 5, 2014 at 7:22 PM Post #3,409 of 4,383
I thought they wast going to change or claimed that the 900 and 900s are the same sound wise

Supposed to be the same sound wise, just a different shell.

Jun 5, 2014 at 8:32 PM Post #3,411 of 4,383
How can that be if changing the placement of the driver changes the sound. If what tinny man said is correct that is

I certainly don't claim to an expert, just telling you what I was told by Logitech.

Jun 5, 2014 at 10:04 PM Post #3,412 of 4,383
Lachlan, ask them what happened to their entire consumer line and why the warranty has been shortened, if you could. Do they plan on reimbursing those who would like to return the current 900s and get the one with the new design?
Perhaps Mike Dias can also answer this here? (haha, see you in the currently viewing, so why not ask, right?lol)

Jun 5, 2014 at 10:18 PM Post #3,413 of 4,383
  Lachlan, ask them what happened to their entire consumer line 

Please do this. It's very strange that their only other product (UE Boom) is clearly targeted at a general audience, while all their headphones (UE900 and customs) are clearly targeted at a niche audiophile/professional audience. It just doesn't make sense from a branding perspective. Not only are the IEMs below the UE900 discontinued, but the UE6000 and UE9000 headphones as well! 

Jun 6, 2014 at 9:17 AM Post #3,414 of 4,383

Please do this. It's very strange that their only other product (UE Boom) is clearly targeted at a general audience, while all their headphones (UE900 and customs) are clearly targeted at a niche audiophile/professional audience. It just doesn't make sense from a branding perspective. Not only are the IEMs below the UE900 discontinued, but the UE6000 and UE9000 headphones as well! 

Makes me wonder how much they initially invest in bringing these products to market to continually discard and replace with completely new designs with apparent cutting edge new features etc.. all that expense in product development, market research, advertising / marketing, design patents with countless other expenses to discontinue with-in just years of market release and to sell them very competitively priced.. either their products are rehashed and over marketed to seem like completely new products as in the case with UE900s or they're seriously cheap counterfeit quality type build products stylized in nice sleek black elegant designs (90% of their computer peripherals) with generous accessories and descent packaging that have very short product life? Without answers I believe it's a combination of both.. I own Logitech Quickcam AF which is successful consumer webcam (used commercially in airports and workplaces too) but was discontinued with-in a few years of it's market release.. Own Logitech Z 10 speakers very popular and well rated product at very competitive low cost price discontinued with-in few years of market release. Strange business strategy sales and profits must be very unstable, unpredictable and inconsistent how can they run a business like that.. are they seriously going to reinvest millions in a new UE consumer range that will be all cutting edge or will it be old products rehashed as new that fail with-in manufacturers warranty.

Edit to add: I really like the Logitech brand, they've released some really great product designs at good value for money but what use if the product fails to last and production has bee discontinued all before or shortly after manufacturers warranty.. Do they not want customers to enjoy longevity of the products they've designed? Manufacturers obviously do extensive testing including measuring average product life span I think they should tell us what the average life span of UE Earphone is and why they've reduced it to just 1 year in some regions of the world? Under EU sale regulations manufacturers have to guarantee the product for 2 years so is unfair they've reduced to 1 year outside the EU

Jun 6, 2014 at 9:22 AM Post #3,415 of 4,383
  Lachlan, ask them what happened to their entire consumer line and why the warranty has been shortened, if you could. Do they plan on reimbursing those who would like to return the current 900s and get the one with the new design?

Will do!

Jun 6, 2014 at 11:48 AM Post #3,416 of 4,383
So it's clear now that the 900s and the 900 are identical sound wise until they slowly transition to the new all blue shell; and even then according to Logitech the sound should remain the same.  The only difference is the gel and some tips. So why call it 900s then? They should have waited with the new packaging and avoid the confusion, since their website clearly shows the new 900s. 
On a side note, it's just a shame how Logitech took over Ultimate Ears and within a few years just wiped out all of their consumer line and left us with the 900s. 

Jun 6, 2014 at 1:11 PM Post #3,417 of 4,383
@tommy. I think there playing some game with their wording. There are correct that the 900 and the 900s have the same sound ect because that's what's in both of the boxs. The same thing. They even said so them self. So they can get away with saying that. Now when the real version is ready for production it will probaley have a different sound. Which they still refer to the 900s. They also did not mention the other changes beside the blue connector. Probably on purpose. So technically ue saying the version with the black connector vs the blue connector have no effect on sound is correct because the color of the connector real has no impact on the sound. Now if they brought up the other changes that's a different story. They also stated that they will remove the s from the 900 until the new model are ready which confirm to me that what I stated above holds some truth. This will also protect them from any false advertisement claims. They just worded there response to make it as less harmful as possible

Jun 6, 2014 at 1:32 PM Post #3,418 of 4,383
@jayaudio116 I agree. This all thing just doesn't look right to me. The new and improved 900s might be a beast of a pair, but all these issues and confusion just leave us all with a bad taste, and a lot of us, me included will be very hesitant of purchasing a new pair from Logitech. Especially when we are talking about a $400 investment.  

Jun 6, 2014 at 5:41 PM Post #3,420 of 4,383
@tommy. I think there playing some game with their wording. There are correct that the 900 and the 900s have the same sound ect because that's what's in both of the boxs. The same thing. They even said so them self. So they can get away with saying that. Now when the real version is ready for production it will probaley have a different sound. Which they still refer to the 900s. They also did not mention the other changes beside the blue connector. Probably on purpose. So technically ue saying the version with the black connector vs the blue connector have no effect on sound is correct because the color of the connector real has no impact on the sound. Now if they brought up the other changes that's a different story. They also stated that they will remove the s from the 900 until the new model are ready which confirm to me that what I stated above holds some truth. This will also protect them from any false advertisement claims. They just worded there response to make it as less harmful as possible

I believe they changed the position of the drivers and instead of glue, they use something else entirely to hold it together. There was also that bore. That could ~maybe~ make a difference. I'm not too sure.
So no, they didn't only change the connector based on what I've read so far.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back