Ultimate Ears UE 900 Discussion and Impressions Thread
Apr 26, 2014 at 12:09 PM Post #2,971 of 4,383
That's exactly what the change table have said: 900 = glue; 900s = sonic weld.

I may be wrong but I took the sonic weld to be referring to how the back plates with UE logos were attached to the main body. I think the holder for the drivers is part Of the "new designed 4 unit divider tech". This could also account for the difference in sound quality perceived by some people in the old version as there would be minor differences in driver placement if they were just glued into the main body.

Apr 26, 2014 at 12:29 PM Post #2,972 of 4,383
High Definition UE900S ^_^

2hmdbn4.png

Apr 26, 2014 at 10:59 PM Post #2,974 of 4,383
  The Apple Store used to carry the UE900, which was where I had gotten mine.  In all likelihood they will be carrying the UE900s too, or worse case you can order direct from Logitech.

Thanks. I didn't see the terms of the return policy on Logitech's site, so will probably wait until I can get them somewhere else. I got my first pair from the Apple Store as well. Their current selection is pretty weak, but maybe they'll start stocking these at some point. 

Apr 26, 2014 at 11:48 PM Post #2,975 of 4,383
  Thanks. I didn't see the terms of the return policy on Logitech's site, so will probably wait until I can get them somewhere else. I got my first pair from the Apple Store as well. Their current selection is pretty weak, but maybe they'll start stocking these at some point. 

Here is a bit of inside info about the Apple Store: brands have to pay Apple for shelf space, so if you don't see something on the selves, try to ask them nicely to see if that have it in the stock room!  I have gotten my old Sennheiser VMX100 like this before.

Apr 27, 2014 at 6:55 PM Post #2,978 of 4,383
  Can anyone please tell me where to locate the serial number on the box of the UE 900? I am looking to purchase one used today and I want to make sure I buy newer one without the defects of the first few batches.

Lower right corner on the back of the box, under the barcode label.  Don't remember off top of my head the cutoff date for "good" units, but you need to look for the first 4 digits which indicate the year (13) and the week (XY)

Apr 27, 2014 at 10:36 PM Post #2,979 of 4,383
  Here is a bit of inside info about the Apple Store: brands have to pay Apple for shelf space, so if you don't see something on the selves, try to ask them nicely to see if that have it in the stock room!  I have gotten my old Sennheiser VMX100 like this before.

oh sure, of course (face palm). Do you think that applies to their online site as well?

Apr 28, 2014 at 1:16 AM Post #2,980 of 4,383
  oh sure, of course (face palm). Do you think that applies to their online site as well?

Yes, the original UE900 was on the site too.

Apr 28, 2014 at 1:41 AM Post #2,981 of 4,383
So it looks they fixed part of the crappy build quality. Now I'm wondering about that bass change. The thing that bothered me most was the soft bass that just took up air without having any real impact. The midbass quantity is fixable by tip rolling a bit for me but the impact is missing on my UE900. Well. One day when I have lots of money, MAYBE I'll buy a pair but that's very low on my priority list right now.

Apr 28, 2014 at 6:40 AM Post #2,983 of 4,383
So it looks they fixed part of the crappy build quality. Now I'm wondering about that bass change. The thing that bothered me most was the soft bass that just took up air without having any real impact. The midbass quantity is fixable by tip rolling a bit for me but the impact is missing on my UE900. Well. One day when I have lots of money, MAYBE I'll buy a pair but that's very low on my priority list right now.

Not sure about the bass

Logitech claimed to have improved it on the UE900s, but that has yet to be tested.

Apr 28, 2014 at 8:44 AM Post #2,984 of 4,383
Considering that I absolutely detested the build quality issues on the UE900 (but I quite liked the sound), I am quite heartened by the new version of these earphones. I may see if I can get a pair of the new ones, though I doubt I'll be able to get the same $300 bargain I did on the UE900 :p

Apr 28, 2014 at 8:51 AM Post #2,985 of 4,383
I totally understand how you feel.  However, personally I don't think the early batch was that bad consider that mine still works perfectly, and it was confirmed to be with the bad serial range.  Maybe I just got lucky on my pair...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back