Ultimate Ears UE 900 Discussion and Impressions Thread
Dec 28, 2013 at 1:29 PM Post #2,596 of 4,383
Maybe it's just me, but I have serious sores due to the size of the UE900 housing. My ears aren't exactly small and I've never encountered these issue with any other in-ear headphones before and I've owned several sets of Ultimate Ears IEM's. It's equally as bad in both ears so I have to temporally discontinue use as it's been several weeks and they're not healing up and frequently leak (not earwax) just juice from sores/scabs.

I probably wear them up to 70hours a week but no more then any other IEM I've owned so something to bear in mind

Affected areas of my ear are Concha, Antitragus & tragus.. Look at ear diagram below to see

I'm using the small black caps not extra small but small and my right ear tragus seems much sorer then left ear Any advise ?

http://pichoster.net/images/2013/12/08/Capture.jpg

Dec 28, 2013 at 1:38 PM Post #2,597 of 4,383
  Maybe it's just me, but I have serious sores due to the size of the UE900 housing. My ears aren't exactly small and I've never encountered these issue with any other in-ear headphones before and I've owned several sets of Ultimate Ears IEM's. It's equally as bad in both ears so I have to temporally discontinue use as it's been several weeks and they're not healing up and frequently leak (not earwax) just juice from sores/scabs.

I probably wear them up to 70hours a week but no more then any other IEM I've owned so something to bear in mind

Affected areas of my ear are Concha, Antitragus & tragus.. Look at ear diagram below to see

I'm using the small black caps not extra small but small and my right ear tragus seems much sorer then left ear Any advise ?

just go ahead and give them to me, they will never be comfortable for you.  Save yourself from the pain.

Dec 28, 2013 at 1:39 PM Post #2,598 of 4,383

Have you tried different tips? Maybe some comply or shure olives. Also try to give your ears 5 minute breaks every half an hour or so until they get adjusted to the UE900. Might be a good idea to stay away from IEMs until your ears are fully healed too, wouldn't want to get an infection.

Dec 28, 2013 at 11:02 PM Post #2,599 of 4,383
Those of you using the Meelec balanced tips, are you attaching it past the ribbed part or just to where it touches?

Dec 28, 2013 at 11:48 PM Post #2,600 of 4,383
I just got these yesterday. I'm having pain in the same spots. The blue, round part of the housing doesn't quite fit my outer ear. I hope it's just a matter of my ears getting used to a bit more pressure. I love the sound of these. I'd hate to return them.

Quote:

Dec 29, 2013 at 5:25 AM Post #2,601 of 4,383

It used to give me pain as well.  Give it some time, I'm more or less used to them now.  I just got the Westone 4R and while the fit is better, I much prefer the UE 900 sound sig.  The W4r sounds congested and there's something of a treble spike that irritates me.

Dec 29, 2013 at 9:35 AM Post #2,602 of 4,383
Based on the info I got from Logitech (actually their PR company), indeed they had to fix quality problems thus explanation of unavailability for a short period of time.  I did not get any indication of them discontinuing UE900.  Regarding mentioning of some deep discount fire sale, my only guess they probably wanted to clear up the stock of older devices.

For the reference, UE900 I have with S/N starting 1332xyz is flawless.  I was told its from a new batch of updated headphones where all the quality issues have been addressed.  I had these since mid October and never had a single issue.  Used it with both stock cables and 2 cheap replacement cables from lunashops (w/samsung controls) - never a sound cutout or whatever other symptoms mentioned in this thread.  Also, per someone else's comment who had original UE900 for years, indeed these have gold plated round connector (the one where cables attached to the earpiece).

Regarding comfort of wearing these, true they are not as ergonomic as my new W40 but I actually found fitment to be very good considering I have a bit smaller than average ears.  But YMMV since we all have different ear anatomy.  It will need some ear break-in :wink:  After awhile when you divine into analyzing sound details, you will forget about even having these on :D

Dec 29, 2013 at 12:12 PM Post #2,603 of 4,383
  Based on the info I got from Logitech (actually their PR company), indeed they had to fix quality problems thus explanation of unavailability for a short period of time.  I did not get any indication of them discontinuing UE900.  Regarding mentioning of some deep discount fire sale, my only guess they probably wanted to clear up the stock of older devices.

For the reference, UE900 I have with S/N starting 1332xyz is flawless.  I was told its from a new batch of updated headphones where all the quality issues have been addressed.

My pair, which I bought from Logitech during the sale, have S/N: 1334... so should be good then I think. No problems so far and if something would happen I have no doubt Logitech would solve it.

Dec 29, 2013 at 12:18 PM Post #2,604 of 4,383

For the reference, UE900 I have with S/N starting 1332xyz is flawless.  I was told its from a new batch of updated headphones where all the quality issues have been addressed.  I had these since mid October and never had a single issue.  Used it with both stock cables and 2 cheap replacement cables from lunashops (w/samsung controls) - never a sound cutout or whatever other symptoms mentioned in this thread.  Also, per someone else's comment who had original UE900 for years, indeed these have gold plated round connector (the one where cables attached to the earpiece).

Regarding comfort of wearing these, true they are not as ergonomic as my new W40 but I actually found fitment to be very good considering I have a bit smaller than average ears.  But YMMV since we all have different ear anatomy.  It will need some ear break-in :wink:  After awhile when you divine into analyzing sound details, you will forget about even having these on :D

Hey that's great to hear. I got mine about 3 weeks ago and haven't had any issues and they sound fantastic. I'm wondering, is there any place I can check on mine to see if it's part of the newer problem free batch? Where do I locate the serial number? Is it on the box somewhere? And what serial numbers indicate the newer batch?

On a side note for those of you wondering.
The W4R not inferior to the UE900. They don't sound "congested" to me at all, so I guess different ears and different strokes. My feeling is that they're quite evenly matched in terms of who is better than who. W4R is pretty awesome too.

Dec 29, 2013 at 12:49 PM Post #2,605 of 4,383
  Hey that's great to hear. I got mine about 3 weeks ago and haven't had any issues and they sound fantastic. I'm wondering, is there any place I can check on mine to see if it's part of the newer problem free batch? Where do I locate the serial number? Is it on the box somewhere? And what serial numbers indicate the newer batch?

On a side note for those of you wondering.
The W4R not inferior to the UE900. They don't sound "congested" to me at all, so I guess different ears and different strokes. My feeling is that they're quite evenly matched in terms of who is better than who. W4R is pretty awesome too.

The S/N is on the package box outside where the barcode is, the first 4 digits.  I think someone else posted before about cutoff s/n when they started to ship updated version, but I don't remember it.  Perhaps you can use 1332 as a reference, and for sure if you got yours 3 weeks ago - its gotta be new.  Plus, their customer service is pretty good, at least here in US, so it shouldn't be a problem if something goes wrong.

Funny you mentioned W4R because when I saw your sig I was about to post a question for you :)  I got new Westone W40 about 2 weeks ago, and been gushing about it in "New WESTONE W-Series" thread.  From confirmation by others, its a brand new design in terms of cables, cables connector, and interchangeable plates, but the quad BA driver should be the same as W4R.  UE900 is mid centric, in your face, which gets overwhelming sometimes.  Don't get me wrong, I enjoy them, but for the type of music I'm listening too (mostly EDM: electro, progressive, with preference for tracks with vocals) - they are NOT good because of lack of bass quantity and too much upper mids which throws off the sound balance.  Again, this comment is for the type of music I'm listening to (and I'm by far not even remotely an audiophile).  W40 is absolutely perfect for my sound purpose because you have more mid bass which adds warmth to a track (and perfect for a balance), mids are a bit scooped but still there to enjoy vocals, and treble has a roll off enough to make it very ear friendly for extended listening period.  All that while still maintaining details across the whole frequency range.  So each one has its strength and weakness depending on your preference of music style.  For me personally, I have been enjoying W40 so much that I put UE900 aside.  But, this is just my humble opinion.  The question I have, where does SE535 fits between W4R/W40 and UE900?  I get confused reading some comparison that it's mid centric like UE900, but then others saying it's not like UE900 because of more bass.  Would you consider SE535 to be a happy medium between W4R and UE900?

Dec 29, 2013 at 1:01 PM Post #2,606 of 4,383

The S/N is on the package box outside where the barcode is, the first 4 digits.  I think someone else posted before about cutoff s/n when they started to ship updated version, but I don't remember it.  Perhaps you can use 1332 as a reference, and for sure if you got yours 3 weeks ago - its gotta be new.  Plus, their customer service is pretty good, at least here in US, so it shouldn't be a problem if something goes wrong.

Funny you mentioned W4R because when I saw your sig I was about to post a question for you :)  I got new Westone W40 about 2 weeks ago, and been gushing about it in "New WESTONE W-Series" thread.  From confirmation by others, its a brand new design in terms of cables, cables connector, and interchangeable plates, but the quad BA driver should be the same as W4R.  UE900 is mid centric, in your face, which gets overwhelming sometimes.  Don't get me wrong, I enjoy them, but for the type of music I'm listening too (mostly EDM: electro, progressive, with preference for tracks with vocals) - they are NOT good because of lack of bass quantity and too much upper mids which throws off the sound balance.  Again, this comment is for the type of music I'm listening to (and I'm by far not even remotely an audiophile).  W40 is absolutely perfect for my sound purpose because you have more mid bass which adds warmth to a track (and perfect for a balance), mids are a bit scooped but still there to enjoy vocals, and treble has a roll off enough to make it very ear friendly for extended listening period.  All that while still maintaining details across the whole frequency range.  So each one has its strength and weakness depending on your preference of music style.  For me personally, I have been enjoying W40 so much that I put UE900 aside.  But, this is just my humble opinion.  The question I have, where does SE535 fits between W4R/W40 and UE900?  I get confused reading some comparison that it's mid centric like UE900, but then others saying it's not like UE900 because of more bass.  Would you consider SE535 to be a happy medium between W4R and UE900?

Yeah I've dealt with UE Customer Service in the past, and this was the reason I was not worried about buying the UE900. I knew if I had a problem they'd make it right somehow and give free replacements until I was happy.

Initially after I got my UE900 I was heavily favoring the W4R, but I decided to give the UE900's a chance and made them my exclusive IEMs and did not touch the W4R on purpose. I also made sure to burn-in the UE900 several times, before going to bed I'd just leave the music playing at louder than normal listening volume. Now I feel like they're quite evenly matched but if I had to pick I'd choose the W4R at the moment.

As for the 535. I honestly haven't listened to mine in 3 or 4 months now. I'll break it out tonight and see if I can do a little comparison. I had the SE530s since 2006 and then the SE535 when it came out, so I've had that type of sound for like 7 years in my life now. I like it of course, but IMO the newer 4-driver offerings from both Westone and UE are superior, especially in the bass control/depth department and having a more balanced sound overall.

Dec 29, 2013 at 1:34 PM Post #2,607 of 4,383

Yeah I've dealt with UE Customer Service in the past, and this was the reason I was not worried about buying the UE900. I knew if I had a problem they'd make it right somehow and give free replacements until I was happy.

Initially after I got my UE900 I was heavily favoring the W4R, but I decided to give the UE900's a chance and made them my exclusive IEMs and did not touch the W4R on purpose. I also made sure to burn-in the UE900 several times, before going to bed I'd just leave the music playing at louder than normal listening volume. Now I feel like they're quite evenly matched but if I had to pick I'd choose the W4R at the moment.

As for the 535. I honestly haven't listened to mine in 3 or 4 months now. I'll break it out tonight and see if I can do a little comparison. I had the SE530s since 2006 and then the SE535 when it came out, so I've had that type of sound for like 7 years in my life now. I like it of course, but IMO the newer 4-driver offerings from both Westone and UE are superior, especially in the bass control/depth department and having a more balanced sound overall.

That is an interesting observation about UE900 and W4R being evenly matched, which perhaps suggests W40 has a deeper bass than W4R.  I also don't discount that boosted upper mids of UE900 take away from "bass" depth.  I might have to do more a/b comparison, but I can definitely hear details of bass punch in UE900 but there is no feeling of that warm deep bass texture and overall sound is colder.

Would really appreciate your comparison with SE535.

Dec 29, 2013 at 1:44 PM Post #2,608 of 4,383
All,
Here is the response I got from Mike Dias, the Industry Insider for UE here in head-fi regarding production and build quality issues.

Thank you for reaching out. And please feel free to publicly repeat this. There are no plans whatsoever to stop the 900's. The recent sales were for the holidays and since we so vigilantly watch MAP pricing, we wanted to make sure that people who were on the fence had the chance to pick up a 900.

Also, if anyone has any build issues or problems that have not been resolved through the proper channels, have them pm me directly and I'll personally work on making sure they are satisfied.

Many thanks,

Mike

Hopefully this will put the rumours of them getting the axe to rest once and for all.

Dec 29, 2013 at 4:14 PM Post #2,609 of 4,383
All,
Here is the response I got from Mike Dias, the Industry Insider for UE here in head-fi regarding production and build quality issues.
Thank you for reaching out. And please feel free to publicly repeat this. There are no plans whatsoever to stop the 900's. The recent sales were for the holidays and since we so vigilantly watch MAP pricing, we wanted to make sure that people who were on the fence had the chance to pick up a 900.

Also, if anyone has any build issues or problems that have not been resolved through the proper channels, have them pm me directly and I'll personally work on making sure they are satisfied.

Many thanks,

Mike

Hopefully this will put the rumours of them getting the axe to rest once and for all.

Ok, that settles it. My 2nd, brand new pair is going up for sales again. No use in keeping them if they're not going to replace them with something more awesome since I already have a pair in use (however bought here so no receipt).

Dec 29, 2013 at 5:29 PM Post #2,610 of 4,383
I guess not discointusing them makes sense somewhat because if they're having quality control issues, and if they are able to fix these QA issues by using different glue or materials or paint, it'll be cheaper than redesigning the entire thing and launching a new product.

One thing people seem to agree on is that the UE900 does sound quite nice when working properly and not falling apart. LOL. Mine has been holding up solid as rock so far, so I'm thinking it's problem free. It feels very solid and nothing has faded or come loose from daily use.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back