Ultimate Ears UE 900 Discussion and Impressions Thread
Dec 7, 2012 at 9:07 PM Post #1,157 of 4,383
Tough call.  Both the W4 and UE900 sounded equally good but different based on tests, but I will have to say that the CMK1000 should give you a less stylized sound.

Dec 7, 2012 at 9:34 PM Post #1,158 of 4,383
Quote:
SO confused, which one will give you more detail presentation with nice balanced across the most genre:W4, CMK1000 or UE900? Thanks, so lost!

Can't comment on the CMK1k, but I can do W4 and UE900.  I'd have to say that the W4s are a little better than the UE900s with detailing.

Dec 7, 2012 at 10:31 PM Post #1,160 of 4,383
Quote:
I found the UE900 brand new for 349 AUD, but i rather save up and by the W4 than to compromise on the SQ.

Thanks. 

Where about in Australia is that price ?

Dec 11, 2012 at 12:59 AM Post #1,168 of 4,383
I'm hearing a lot about this tiny bass hole bore. I still have a few days to return mine, so what's the best way to temporarily block the hole to see how they sound?  If it's tape, what kind?  I'm not so sure I want to lose even 1db of bass.  The reason I got UE900 was I thought they would beat out the W4's and the Heir 4.ai for my tastes.  I thought the soundstage would be wider then the other two and have an overall less aggressive sound than the Heirs.  I read a review saying that the UE's were slightly V shaped but not aggressively so. All of which seemed to ring true for me.  I like the Phonak PFE-232's a lot, but they were just way too V shaped for me and aggressive with the treble.  They did bass perfectly though.  So if the bass goes on the UE's  .  .  .  What I'd really like is the UE900 sound with Phonak bass.  Or maybe W4's with Phonak bass.

Dec 11, 2012 at 6:13 AM Post #1,169 of 4,383
I don't think there's another IEM with similar bass like PFE 232.

The UE900 are aggressive, but the Heir sound harsher. The UE900 play directly into your face, but their upper mids/highs are so well done that it never sounds lacking or harsh. This is where they outperform the 4.Ai, IMO... and also flatter bass, so actually all-around more cohesive (YMMV). No idea where you get the v-shape from because if anything, most people are claiming the Logitech is warm.
Bass quantity will become noticeably less.

For your preference, I think you should consider an EQ. I also know somebody who loves his PFE but he uses the FiiO E17 with -2 dB on both ends. Not a dramatic change, but I agree that it sounds better that way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back