Ultimate Ears UE 900 Discussion and Impressions Thread
Jul 25, 2014 at 10:40 AM Post #3,556 of 4,383
Hi, its almost certainly the 900 original. I have not owned them long enough to come across any build issues yet and overall the fit and finish seems ok. Time will tell as always. As i say the only real issue for me as of now is the distortion at high volumes. Granted it really does have to be high volume i mean unbearably loud but it just suprises me they struggle at all with the power output im giving them. My music quality probably does not help but its all easily 320kbps and up aswell as lossless but i cant imagine poor quality recordings get poorer as volume is increased its just poor full stop quiet or loud so dont think its that, just seems the headphones have a limitation i have not experienced before its just so audible for an expensive set like these

I have no issues with distortion at all even at quite uncomfortable listening levels. Personally I would be reluctant to push them so hard that they distort as this is probably going to damage your iems. They are very sensitive and are quite happy unamplified. It seems odd to put them through a test that they were never designed for as the sort of output levels you seem to be talking about would very quickly damage your hearing with in ears. Be careful with your hearing fella. Happy listening

Jul 25, 2014 at 11:05 AM Post #3,557 of 4,383
Hi you are absolutely right the levels do have to be extremely high however even tho i dont plan on listening at such levels i was suprised at the sheer amount of distortion there was, keep in mind i am only using the fiio e5 and iphone 5s, i do think it has a lot to do with the signal being unclean i mean what good is something being extremely loud if its not a great signal, its just the ue900 displayed this unlike any iem before, maybe this is testament to just how sensitive they are and they are just bringing all my crap music quality forward.

The more i listen at comfortable levels the more i think they are showing signs of true quality, the highs are a godsend after the pearcing highs of my sony ex1000. The bass is still a bit shallower than i would like from a quad armature but again i think this is just being spoiled by the impact of those big dynamic drivers, and the fit is excellent very comfortable, cable is reasonable however there is no chin slider on the blue cable is this normal there is only the shirt clip and chin slider is on the black cable.

Jul 25, 2014 at 11:26 AM Post #3,558 of 4,383
Hi thanks for the reply, it is true the distortion happens while using the amp at high volumes, and its very likely i guess that the balanced armatures used are simply putting forward the distortion as ofcourse armatures are known for highlighting weaknesses in the output from a device, i guess being 4 armatures in each earpiece simply does not help if distortion is introduced as this is amplified by the armatures, its just the first set of headphones that have really struggled when using the fiio at very high volume. Thanks for your help

Of course!  The UE900 are a very low load and very high sensitivity, so they're going to be very demanding of amplification.  It's a bit counter-intuitive, but higher ohms are actually an easier load for amplifiers (in terms of control and distortion, they do usually require more power to reach the same output).

Have you tried UE's straight from your source?   

Jul 28, 2014 at 2:21 PM Post #3,562 of 4,383
I had a conversation with logitech about possibly getting mine replaced even tho at the moment theres nothing wrong with them i asked them if they would change them considering the known manufacturing issues with my model and as i suspected they said they cant replace it unless there is an actual issue which ofcourse is to be expected and they were very nice to me about it. Its annoying but i think im worrying a bit too much theres a good chance i may never have an issue but nice to know logitech are quick and helpful when responding.

Jul 29, 2014 at 10:35 AM Post #3,563 of 4,383
Based on my contact with Logitech customer service (at least for Logitech US) they are no longer offering either UE 900 or UE 900s as replacement devices :frowning2:

In my case, the right shell of my UE 900 (purchased ~a month ago from logitech.com) broke off. I contacted Logitech CS and they said that it is covered under warranty but said that they couldn't replace it since (to quote the CSR whom I spoke to) "they no longer have the same line of product or earphones". I double checked with them about UE 900s and they said that the same applies. They did offer me another device, the UE Boom speaker, as a replacement but I have no need for any external speakers (or of anything else that Logitech carries, to be honest...).

Any suggestions on what to do? Should I just superglue the shell together myself (the earphones still work that way)? :frowning2:

Jul 29, 2014 at 10:39 AM Post #3,564 of 4,383
Well are they not obliged to refund you the cost of the earphones if they agree the warranty is active and being used rightfully but cant offer the same product? Warranty anywhere else means replacement or refund does it not?

Jul 29, 2014 at 12:11 PM Post #3,566 of 4,383
I just opened my UE900s which I received from Logitech Europe 4 weeks ago they're the non unibody version but they do have the gold plated connectors unlike my failed set of UE900 I'm not blown away by the sound but maybe it'll take some adjusting because I've spent the past 3 months listening to Philips SHE8000/10 which has turbo bass

http://pichoster.net/wKr
http://pichoster.net/wKD

Jul 29, 2014 at 4:09 PM Post #3,567 of 4,383
  Based on my contact with Logitech customer service (at least for Logitech US) they are no longer offering either UE 900 or UE 900s as replacement devices :frowning2:

In my case, the right shell of my UE 900 (purchased ~a month ago from logitech.com) broke off. I contacted Logitech CS and they said that it is covered under warranty but said that they couldn't replace it since (to quote the CSR whom I spoke to) "they no longer have the same line of product or earphones". I double checked with them about UE 900s and they said that the same applies. They did offer me another device, the UE Boom speaker, as a replacement but I have no need for any external speakers (or of anything else that Logitech carries, to be honest...).

Any suggestions on what to do? Should I just superglue the shell together myself (the earphones still work that way)? :frowning2:

Well are they not obliged to refund you the cost of the earphones if they agree the warranty is active and being used rightfully but cant offer the same product? Warranty anywhere else means replacement or refund does it not?

Wow, this is ridiculous and makes me nervous at the same time. I have had the 900 for 8 months now and was planning to send them under warranty due to cutoffs.  I am expecting a pair of 900/900s and not some sort of Boom speaker or any other device for that matter.

Jul 29, 2014 at 10:36 PM Post #3,568 of 4,383

This is just bad, I'll expect a replacement or a full refund...

UE Boom speaker, seriously UE?

Jul 30, 2014 at 6:28 AM Post #3,569 of 4,383
I just opened my UE900s which I received from Logitech Europe 4 weeks ago they're the non unibody version but they do have the gold plated connectors unlike my failed set of UE900 I'm not blown away by the sound but maybe it'll take some adjusting because I've spent the past 3 months listening to Philips SHE8000/10 which has turbo bass

http://pichoster.net/wKr
http://pichoster.net/wKD

Maybe should have had that bet after all. Was going to say, the wierdest thing is they look really heavily used, but then realised you'd photographed new on the right old on the left for comparison. Like I said, Logitech do claim to have been continuously updating the design along the way so maybe these will last for you. I buy cheap Samsung dual driver headsets for a couple of quid from ebay which I wear at the gym or any other "high risk" activity. That way, I can maximise the life span if my most expensive iems.

Jul 30, 2014 at 12:12 PM Post #3,570 of 4,383
Maybe should have had that bet after all. Was going to say, the wierdest thing is they look really heavily used, but then realised you'd photographed new on the right old on the left for comparison. Like I said, Logitech do claim to have been continuously updating the design along the way so maybe these will last for you. I buy cheap Samsung dual driver headsets for a couple of quid from ebay which I wear at the gym or any other "high risk" activity. That way, I can maximise the life span if my most expensive iems.

Hopefully but honestly my earphones never see any high risk activity as they live permanently on my desktop I don't wear them to bed or do cardiovascular exercise or anything with them except wear them at my desktop which is isolated in my room.. so not sure why you wrote that or quoted high risk?

I like the UE900s packaging better then the UE900 but the UE900s earphone sounds different but can't quiet put my finger on it as I'm not an audiophile / earphone enthusiast they just lack fullness maybe treble or bass but tried my old UE 900 earpiece with UE900s and the left earpiece still works fine it is the right earpiece that sounds muffled / dampened / blown 75% volume imbalance etc. so not sure if there is something in the right earpiece that's not in the left that's blown / broke?.

I'm grateful to Logitech for all the replacements but still can't understand why they'd discontinue their entire consumer product range including UE900s globally without explanation.. then to repackage & rebrand UE900 knowing they'd be discontinued at a later date.. all that market investment / license to print money flushed away effectively making Logitech's acquisition of Ultimate Ears back in 2008 a complete failure!

I wonder if UE900s will feature in Logitech's closeout discontinued store at a reduced price

Users who are viewing this thread

Back