Ultimate Ears UE 10Pro
Mar 8, 2006 at 5:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

grover432

New Head-Fier
I'm considering the UE 10 Pro in ear monitors. I'm looking for excellent sound reproduction (including more than just respectable bass) as well as good external noise isolation.

If anyone has these earphones and can comment on how well they isolate external noise - i.e. on an airplane as well as in higher wind conditions such as while boating, motorcycling - I would appreciate hearing from you.

The specifications indicate -25db sound reduction, but I'm not sure whether this would equate to the noise reduction experienced with a good set of foam ear plugs or not.

I plan to use the earphones during flight as well as when I am cutting the lawn or riding my Sea Doo. I have a hearing condition called Tinnitus, which is aggravated by loud sound. I currently listen to my iPod with a pair of Shure E3c's. The in ear monitors allow me to listen at lower volumes while flying, or in other noisy environments - which is a good thing (for me).

Thanks in advance for your replies,

grover432

Mar 9, 2006 at 8:39 AM Post #2 of 9
Hi! I'm sorry for your condition, I hope it will get better.

Regarding your questions, well... as far as sound quality, you can read my thoughts in the review linked in my signature (after almost two years I still regard these small miracles as some of the money best spent in my life).

Noise isolation is good, it depends a lot on the quality of the earmould you send them and, consequently, on the good fit of the two earpieces. My idea is that they isolate slightly less than foamies (I had E3s too before UE).
I've used them several times on airplanes and feel that yes, they isolate enough for that.

Mar 9, 2006 at 9:09 AM Post #3 of 9
If you are planning to use them while motorcycling, you would probably want to make sure that they are low-profile enough to fit inside the helmet well before purchasing.

If the UE-10pro don't fit well under a helmet there are alternatives such as the Sensaphonics 2X-S which you may like to consider.

NOTE: I don't own either of these earphones so I cannot comment on how they fit under a helmet.

Mar 9, 2006 at 5:05 PM Post #4 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by gorman
Hi! I'm sorry for your condition, I hope it will get better.

Regarding your questions, well... as far as sound quality, you can read my thoughts in the review linked in my signature (after almost two years I still regard these small miracles as some of the money best spent in my life).

Noise isolation is good, it depends a lot on the quality of the earmould you send them and, consequently, on the good fit of the two earpieces. My idea is that they isolate slightly less than foamies (I had E3s too before UE).
I've used them several times on airplanes and feel that yes, they isolate enough for that.

Gorman,

I read your review a couple of months ago (thanks for posting it). I had an earmould made for sound blocking purposes only, last year. They work well isolating noise, but don't work as well when I am sailing/Sea Dooing as compared to foam plugs. I had thought, perhaps that the mould was not made well. The audiologist I went to did not ask me to keep my mouth open as is decribed on the UE site - so I was wondering just how much airplane/wind noise these IEMs can block. I guess I might not really know unless I try. Another idea might be to talk to an audiologist to see if a properly made pair of in ear plugs (or monitors) typically block as much outside noise as a pair of foam plugs.

Another question I had was with respect to performance when moisture is present. With my current E3C's, when working out, there is enough sweat to sometimes cause one of the phones to stop working. If I take it out and "blow it out" and reinsert, it is fine. Any experience with the UE's?

Last question: Does UE make a soft mould material or is the hard material the only option. I've read that a silicon mould product is more comfortable than a hard plastic. How do yours feel inserted after an hour or so?

Thanks,

grover432

Mar 9, 2006 at 5:07 PM Post #5 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by IZCool
If you are planning to use them while motorcycling, you would probably want to make sure that they are low-profile enough to fit inside the helmet well before purchasing.

If the UE-10pro don't fit well under a helmet there are alternatives such as the Sensaphonics 2X-S which you may like to consider.

NOTE: I don't own either of these earphones so I cannot comment on how they fit under a helmet.

IZCool,

You have a good point. I think I'll take my pair of custom mould ear plugs into a motorcycle dealership and try on the new helmet to see how they feel. That should approximate how the UE 10's will feel.

Mar 9, 2006 at 6:23 PM Post #6 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by grover432
Gorman,

I read your review a couple of months ago (thanks for posting it). I had an earmould made for sound blocking purposes only, last year. They work well isolating noise, but don't work as well when I am sailing/Sea Dooing as compared to foam plugs. I had thought, perhaps that the mould was not made well. The audiologist I went to did not ask me to keep my mouth open as is decribed on the UE site - so I was wondering just how much airplane/wind noise these IEMs can block. I guess I might not really know unless I try. Another idea might be to talk to an audiologist to see if a properly made pair of in ear plugs (or monitors) typically block as much outside noise as a pair of foam plugs.

Another question I had was with respect to performance when moisture is present. With my current E3C's, when working out, there is enough sweat to sometimes cause one of the phones to stop working. If I take it out and "blow it out" and reinsert, it is fine. Any experience with the UE's?

Last question: Does UE make a soft mould material or is the hard material the only option. I've read that a silicon mould product is more comfortable than a hard plastic. How do yours feel inserted after an hour or so?

Thanks,

grover432

I find the isolation to be pretty good but not as good as the ER4s though. I found they cut the most noise out.

I wear them for hours no there isn't an issue.

I did keep my mouth up about 80% when I got the impressions done.

I workout all the time with UE-10s. That also isn't an issue. All other headphones I have had will fail at some point. er6i e5 um2s ect. Maybe because the tube length on UE-10s is longer that I don't run into issues. Not sure. I also have gotten better with cleaning/drying the unit/ears when I do take them out. Drying both the unit and the canal as much as possible.

There does seem to be an issue with the cord wasting away after prolong sweating, but UE replaced the cord for me. This was also the case e5s or UM2s.

Mar 9, 2006 at 6:49 PM Post #7 of 9
I just flew from Florida to California using my UE10pro's after having used e5c's in the past on flights. The UE's seal better and reduce ambient noise more--even though I got a good seal with Compy foamies on the e5c. I had my 10pro's fit at UE in CA and they fit perfectly so seal really well, which is important. One really shouldn't settle for less re fit spending that much. If yours don't seal tight, get them adjusted.

The UE10's externally are flat and stick out just a mite beyond the ear. Reportedly sensaphonics are more recessed. I wouldn't think a helmet with either would be a problem. If the helmet pressed against the flat surface of the UE slightly that would only help keep them sealed and in place. I personally wouldn't think it was safe to use them while driving, however. Between the seal of the earphone and the roar of the bike, you would be completely out of touch with what's going on around you sonically.

There is a soft/softer version of the UE but others have reported that doesn't make a lot of difference and is not comparable to the sensaphonic which is truly silicone soft through and through.

Mar 9, 2006 at 9:23 PM Post #8 of 9
It's possible that you may also want to consider the Shure E500's, which are (from what I have read, not from what I have heard) supposed to be the equal or better sound quality wise, at about half the price. Of course you do give up the "molded to fit your ear" aspect.

Chris

Mar 10, 2006 at 7:19 AM Post #9 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by grover432
IZCool,

You have a good point. I think I'll take my pair of custom mould ear plugs into a motorcycle dealership and try on the new helmet to see how they feel. That should approximate how the UE 10's will feel.

It would probably depend on the construction of your custom mould earplugs... if they are full shell hard acrylic material then it would be a good approximation, but I have custom ER-15 earplugs which are made of a soft material and don't fill the ear as much as the UE-10pro do. So just make sure you are comparing apples with apples, so to speak.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back