Ultimate Ears UE-10 PRO ~Worth the $$$~
May 21, 2004 at 7:00 PM Post #16 of 23
Well, back on topic, I decided after hours on the phone with their staff, talking to their designer, and help from Welly Wu, that i will get the ultimate ears UE-10PRO. And to use with them, a 3rd gen. 40gb iPod, and a 4th gen. when they come out late this summer. The UE's are fully serviceable, the drivers, wires, poor fit loose or tight, cord, everything can be fixed at a decent cost. They even keep your ear molds for 5 years if you ever need a new piece made. They are an awesome company and have won my business. Hopefully, with my iPod and killer ear monitors I will be close to an ultimate fully portable setup. Perhaps a small high end amp will be added to my setup down the road. But for now, only my third day on HeadFi, my wallet is trashed, but my mind is racing to imagine what these will sound like
eggosmile.gif
!

May 21, 2004 at 7:10 PM Post #17 of 23
You might like to consider a Superdual, due to be available for purchase in a week or two. Obviously not the best amp around but very portable and convenient and good enough i would have thought to give your UE-10s some extra kick (at least thats what they do to my E5/Ipod combo). They have to be excellent value at around $150.

May 23, 2004 at 7:08 AM Post #19 of 23
You may have already made your decision, but just to add a data point to your process, I have been using the Etymotic ER-4Ps with a 3G iPod and am deliriously happy with the setup. I've never heard the UEs, but I can say I'm fully satisfied with the Etys and don't think the 3x cost is where I'd put the money. The difference would buy an iPod/Karma and an amp to go with a pair of ER-4Ss which would probably make you quite happy.

And as far as the player, Headroom's review of the iPod gave it top marks:

The iPod is well spoken for a portable player; articulating the musical intent with a simple clarity remarkable in a mass-market product.

And they also liked the Karma's sound as much as they did its, so you're fine in either regard.

http://headroom.headphone.com/layout...&subTopicID=28

May 23, 2004 at 10:43 AM Post #20 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spankypoo
You may have already made your decision, but just to add a data point to your process, I have been using the Etymotic ER-4Ps with a 3G iPod and am deliriously happy with the setup. I've never heard the UEs, but I can say I'm fully satisfied with the Etys and don't think the 3x cost is where I'd put the money. The difference would buy an iPod/Karma and an amp to go with a pair of ER-4Ss which would probably make you quite happy.

And as far as the player, Headroom's review of the iPod gave it top marks:

The iPod is well spoken for a portable player; articulating the musical intent with a simple clarity remarkable in a mass-market product.

And they also liked the Karma's sound as much as they did its, so you're fine in either regard.

http://headroom.headphone.com/layout...&subTopicID=28

The Etys are excellent if sitting down stationary all the time. As soon is I walked around with them the microphonics bacame a real issue and I felt the well sited earpieces trying to pull themselves out. There is no way I could recommend using the ER4s for portable use except if sitting.

I and many others don't consider a portable amp as "portable". The whole point of a portable device is that is should be as small as possible. Adding a box that is bigger than my iHP isn't something that appeals.

As to the iPod's sound quality. Flat response may be what you want from a player in which case fine. If you want to alter the sound in any way then prepare for gross distortion of the sound. The EQ on the iPod is so poor that I would go as far as to say it should have been removed from the firmware entirely.

I agree the UE-10 Pro are a lot of money, but I know damn sure they'll be well looked after. There will be many years of usage out of them and if any component fails it can be replaced or repaired. These offer the comfort I have been looking for in a canalphone - which I would use at home as well. When I get them I'll be able to make subjective comments on the sound vs Shure E5 and Ety ER4.

Sorry if this sounds harsh, but I don't believe a portable option should be more than the player and the headphones. I certainly don't think anyone should consider the ER4s for anything more than sitting down unless you can endure the horrendous microphonics.

May 23, 2004 at 4:21 PM Post #21 of 23
I tend to agree with you Big D, portable means portable. If i cant slip it into my pocket and run out of the house with audiophile quality sound that I love, why go portable? Anything that does not sound good just makes me mad. I spent over $2000 on a sound system I installed in my Honda Prelude. It's really nice, but It lacks in every area except earth shattering bass that my CD3K's excell in.

May 24, 2004 at 9:18 AM Post #22 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Big D
I agree the UE-10 Pro are a lot of money, but I know damn sure they'll be well looked after. There will be many years of usage out of them and if any component fails it can be replaced or repaired.

The repair/replace is true with any headphone, so it's a bit of an irrelevant point. What should be mentioned is what is covered under the warranty and what is not. Obviously repair after a certain amount of time is going to cost some money... or should anything happen to the molding making it irrepairable might cost even more.

Replaceable cable is a nice thing to have, but at the same time, I rather prefer the integrated cable of the 2X-S... because they are thinner (using some military grade wire that's rated to hold 50 lbs of weight pulling on them), and everyone knows that additional contact surface are always prone to be worn down over time.

For those people with UE's.. I do not recommend you consistently pulling out the cable and putting them back in... especially not on a daily basis. Metal contacts do wear out with a lot of pulling/pushing. It happens to even headphone plugs (inevitable.. but it happens)... but headphone plugs are bigger and more sturdy than those tiny contacts and pins.

Quote:

Sorry if this sounds harsh, but I don't believe a portable option should be more than the player and the headphones. I certainly don't think anyone should consider the ER4s for anything more than sitting down unless you can endure the horrendous microphonics.

This I agree with fully... although a semi-good portable amp doesn't have to cost that much, or being that big (Xin's SuperDual is looking pretty good)... still, I don't want to carry an amp for my "portable" setup either.

May 24, 2004 at 10:17 AM Post #23 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by lindrone
This I agree with fully... although a semi-good portable amp doesn't have to cost that much, or being that big (Xin's SuperDual is looking pretty good)... still, I don't want to carry an amp for my "portable" setup either.

My portable setup of IPod/modded Sik cable/SD/E5 fits easily into one jacket pocket. The addition of the SD and Sik cable creates little inconvenience.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back