Ultimate Ears Triple Fi 10 Thread
Jan 12, 2013 at 4:04 PM Post #7,772 of 9,690
Quote:
Real quick, I was thinking about buying another cable, how would I check for it to be the correct polarized pins? I have a mulitmeter.

Are you asking how to plug in the new cable? Just check continuity between the plug (ground/left/right) and the pins on your current cables and then make sure you plug the new one in the same way

Jan 12, 2013 at 7:29 PM Post #7,773 of 9,690
Hey UE TF10 lovers, I've been lookin around for IEMs to get and one thing i realized was how jokers thread doesn't review these! So for those who have experience with these and other comparatively priced iems how do they compare?

Jan 12, 2013 at 10:59 PM Post #7,774 of 9,690
Quote:

Are you asking how to plug in the new cable? Just check continuity between the plug (ground/left/right) and the pins on your current cables and then make sure you plug the new one in the same way

Nah I was referring to what some other head-fi'ers were walking about:
Quote:
I bought  this "White angel" cable about year ago from Sunricky, but its polarity don't match with the original cable and that, of course, do change the sound signature and I don't think that's right.
Do "Dark Lord'' cable polarity match with the original cable?
The Westone cable is adaptable without hairdryer

Quote:
Indeed and surely a misfortune. I also bought a furutech cable (not from sunricky) I checked with a multimeter it was indeed in reverse phase, it was impossible to fix even with a hair dryer, that really soured my taste a little for cables from ebay sellers. I messaged sunricky before I purchased Dark Lord and asked him about his cables in which he said they're correct. So I'm not sure how that slipped through. If you're really worried you could ask him to check it before shipping. But yes my Dark Lord cable was the correct polarity.

I understand exactly what you went through.

Jan 12, 2013 at 11:33 PM Post #7,775 of 9,690
If you are familiar with jokers reviews, or will cross-reference them, I can give you a good breakdown. I have read his reviews scores of times and am familiar with his general use of terminology, so I will try to give you some reference for how they sound vs. other IEMs he has described.

The TF10 shares the general frequency emphasis with the W3: it is a classic V-shaped IEM, with strong, punchy bass and emphasized, shimmery treble. Compared to the W3, the TF10 is less tonally neutral, but more balanced in terms of the volume emphasis on different frequences, meaning that the sounds it produces are less tonally accurate overall, and it is more colored than the W3, but it places less obvious emphasis on the bass and treble, meaning that the midrange is more forward, less "quiet and distant" than the W3, and it has a less disjointed, more cohesive presentation. It is easier to listen to than the W3, and sounds more natural to the casual or pleasure listener who is not deliberately focusing on the tonality and accuracy of the sound. Vocals and mid-centric instruments like guitars are more forward and easier to hear, despite being more colored by the bass. The TF10 is not as detailed as the W3, but the detail it does present in the midrange is easier to hear and distinguish. Midrange decay is also superior in the TF10. The TF10s bass does not hit as hard as the W3, but its emphasis goes deeper, meaning lower bass notes are more in balance with the midbass, although it still has noticeable midbass emphasis overall. I think the TF10's bass has slightly better control. The treble is not as extended, but also not as sibilant and over-emphasized as the W3.

The TF10 also shares qualities with the Klipsch X10: it is a warm IEM with good bass body and rich vocal presentation. The vocals are not as forward as the X10, though, because the treble and bass are placed more "forward" in the sound, whereas the X10's low mids bring vocals forward and make them sound more intimate. The X10 has more even bass response, meaning that the low lows are more even with the midbass and even lower mids, but its treble is noticeably subdued despite not having an overall dark tonality. The TF10 has an obviously deeper, more dynamic and spacious sound than the X10, everything is better separated and clearer; the TF10 could be used as a musicians tool, with a few obvious limitations, whereas the X10 realistically should not.

The TF10 falls between these two IEMs from an overall standpoint of technical capability. It is less detailed and tonally realistic than the W3, but its presentation is noticeably more coherent in my opinion. Its beats the X10 in terms of detail level and treble extension, and its presentation is larger and more realistically separated. If I had to guess at joker's numerical rating, I would estimate the TF10 somewhere between 8.9 and 9.1.

Quote:
Hey UE TF10 lovers, I've been lookin around for IEMs to get and one thing i realized was how jokers thread doesn't review these! So for those who have experience with these and other comparatively priced iems how do they compare?

Jan 18, 2013 at 8:46 AM Post #7,776 of 9,690
TF10vi cable finally gave up the ghost today, it lasted about two years so I guess I can't complain and I have had a backup sitting in my desk for about 9 months.  I remember allot of complaints about the cable not lasting but I have to say I got my moneys worth.  I just can't decided if I should get another backup VI cable or not now that the TF10 is discontinued. 

Jan 22, 2013 at 4:19 PM Post #7,777 of 9,690
TF10vi cable finally gave up the ghost today, it lasted about two years so I guess I can't complain and I have had a backup sitting in my desk for about 9 months.  I remember allot of complaints about the cable not lasting but I have to say I got my moneys worth.  I just can't decided if I should get another backup VI cable or not now that the TF10 is discontinued. 

It depends, do you really use the Vi feature? If not, you save money and/or you have access to aftermarket stuff.

Jan 24, 2013 at 6:13 AM Post #7,779 of 9,690
Hi guys, I have a dilemma, sorry if this has been brought up already.

I prefer wearing my Triplefi 10s over ear, and use the R earphone as the L earphone and visa versa (upside down) as a lot of people do.

My question is, in terms of polarity, when I plug the Left cable into the Right earphone, should I actually plug the cable in the "wrong" way round?

As surely the R pin on the on the connector of the R cable going into the R earphone would infact be pluging in the R pin hole on the L earphone, which I think might be wrong, as the earpieces are a mirror image of each other, making it the pin holes the other way round on the opposite earpiece.... so would you just flip the cable round to rectify that issue?

Cheers,

Tom

Jan 24, 2013 at 1:38 PM Post #7,780 of 9,690
Hi guys, I have a dilemma, sorry if this has been brought up already.

I prefer wearing my Triplefi 10s over ear, and use the R earphone as the L earphone and visa versa (upside down) as a lot of people do.

My question is, in terms of polarity, when I plug the Left cable into the Right earphone, should I actually plug the cable in the "wrong" way round?

As surely the R pin on the on the connector of the R cable going into the R earphone would infact be pluging in the R pin hole on the L earphone, which I think might be wrong, as the earpieces are a mirror image of each other, making it the pin holes the other way round on the opposite earpiece.... so would you just flip the cable round to rectify that issue?

Cheers,

Tom

I suppose you have stock cable, then answer is no.

Make yourself the simple rule, that as long as you place and facing the L and R on the cable inwards, then the polarity will be correct.
Let's say you face the connector with the letter side towards you and the pins downwards, the ground polarity will be to your left and the positive pin to the right side, on both connectors. Because they are identical, polarity will not reverse, if you choose to flip L and R.

You can of course measure yourself with a meter, in case you want to be sure.
By the way, I highly believe other cables will probably differ more of less from above, so please only take advantage of my rule with stock cable.

Jan 24, 2013 at 8:02 PM Post #7,782 of 9,690
frown.gif

Jan 24, 2013 at 10:02 PM Post #7,785 of 9,690
Quote:
Yep, exactly my thoughts. argh, my wallet..
frown.gif

I think it has been reported many times... Superglue to the rescue?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back