Ultimate Ears Triple Fi 10 Thread
Oct 4, 2008 at 6:53 AM Post #1,651 of 9,690
welcome new headfier. first experience with IEM and already going for TF10? i hope it will meet your expectation. good luck
smily_headphones1.gif

fyi, many run TF10 unamped straight from ipod/zune/etc

Oct 4, 2008 at 4:29 PM Post #1,652 of 9,690
Quote:

Originally Posted by straden /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks to new triple fi I just realized that my onboard sound card in PC was so bad until now...
music from my iphone 3g is much much clearer than my crappy integrated sound board.

about triple fi, I can't compare its SQ with e4c... it's just totally different and hard to compare especially since I'm a newb to this field.
Good or bad? I donno I am overwhelmed by whole new sounds.
but for now, it seems most songs sound much better with bass boost wider sound stage more detail compare to e4c,
but few some songs don't feel good anymore because triple fi separates too much and presents too much detail, so it makes some songs not fun to my ears anymore. (maybe I need to get higher quality format, or my ears are just overwhelmed now)

Maybe I am weird but to me, upgrade from e4c to triple fi is much overwhelming than from stock bud to Sony ex51 or from sony ex51 to e4c.
And I wonder if there is this kind of leap when you upgrade from triple fi to ue11

Thats my first impression
tongue_smile.gif

triple is detailed, and thats a reason i like it, you can pick the high end instruments out as indivdual parts if you try, thats what i think is hard for a speaker,headphone to do, top end clarity, separating rather than just making the high range into a noise, thats what the se530s didnt do

Oct 8, 2008 at 1:04 AM Post #1,653 of 9,690
What am I doing wrong if my TF10 sounds like it has recessed and muffled highs and vocals? I just got these over the weekend, and every song I've played through the TF10 has this sound issue. Sounds like vocals and snare drums sound veiled, like there's a foam wall in between the performers and my ears. I can switch to my HD600, Sony V6, Etymotic ER4P, and even Klipsh 2.1 computer speakers and the sound does not have this problem.

I was hoping to upgrade from my ER4P to something similar with more bass. Is there something obvious that I'm doing wrong with my TF10 that's causing this poor result? I've tried the foam tips and the pre-installed silicon tips, and the sound was the same. Is this just the way the TF10 is?

Oct 8, 2008 at 2:55 AM Post #1,654 of 9,690
My triple fis just completely broke on me today... need to send them back and activate my warranty

I have absolutely no idea how this happened. One of the drivers just got completely detached from the cable (broke off completely) and it's impossible to re-connect them again.

And I just ordered a high-performance mini^3 amp w/ low gain as well... has anyone else had this problem?

Oct 8, 2008 at 6:04 AM Post #1,655 of 9,690
I've really enjoyed listening to my Triple Fis ever since I got them. To the point where I'm seriously thinking about whether I need my home rig if I beef up my portable rig.

If they only fit a little bit better. I'm using the smallest silicons, and they give me a good seal for a while but tend to loosen as I walk. The mediums though were worse.

Maybe I need to try to mod some Shure foamies?

Oct 8, 2008 at 5:22 PM Post #1,656 of 9,690
Quote:

Originally Posted by Possum /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What am I doing wrong if my TF10 sounds like it has recessed and muffled highs and vocals? I just got these over the weekend, and every song I've played through the TF10 has this sound issue. Sounds like vocals and snare drums sound veiled, like there's a foam wall in between the performers and my ears. I can switch to my HD600, Sony V6, Etymotic ER4P, and even Klipsh 2.1 computer speakers and the sound does not have this problem.

I was hoping to upgrade from my ER4P to something similar with more bass. Is there something obvious that I'm doing wrong with my TF10 that's causing this poor result? I've tried the foam tips and the pre-installed silicon tips, and the sound was the same. Is this just the way the TF10 is?

I had this same problem as well, and assumed that it was actually the sound signature of these particular iems, so I've been steering clear from these.

Oct 8, 2008 at 6:06 PM Post #1,657 of 9,690
Quote:

Originally Posted by gpkoo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've really enjoyed listening to my Triple Fis ever since I got them. To the point where I'm seriously thinking about whether I need my home rig if I beef up my portable rig.

If they only fit a little bit better. I'm using the smallest silicons, and they give me a good seal for a while but tend to loosen as I walk. The mediums though were worse.

Maybe I need to try to mod some Shure foamies?

I got the UE5 EB, so it isn't the same IEM but Ultimate Ears nonetheless... did the Shure mod since I already had foamies from E210, and it is amazing comfort wise. I recommend it. You can also look into Comply tips as well.

Oct 8, 2008 at 6:31 PM Post #1,658 of 9,690
Quote:

What am I doing wrong if my TF10 sounds like it has recessed and muffled highs and vocals? I just got these over the weekend, and every song I've played through the TF10 has this sound issue. Sounds like vocals and snare drums sound veiled, like there's a foam wall in between the performers and my ears.

Exactly what I thought. A very hazy presentation IMHO. I shake my head at all the talk about how detailed they are yet those same people talk about the SE530 rolled off highs. I find SE530 much brighter and detailed.

Oct 8, 2008 at 6:41 PM Post #1,659 of 9,690
I've noticed using the attenuator solves this muffle problem, if its your source that it is having a problem with.

But lately after having used my IEMs for a while I noticed this muffle problem went away and the attenuator was not needed anymore.

Oct 8, 2008 at 8:34 PM Post #1,660 of 9,690
I've heard the muffle with and without the attenuator. I have my TF10s playing music all night and day to break them in a bit and see if that does anything.

Oct 10, 2008 at 12:10 AM Post #1,661 of 9,690
Quote:

I'm starting to observe this a little bit now, like a camara shot not brought quite into full focus (although very good, I sense about a 1/4-1/3 off). This observation has come with time and comaparative listening experience to my SE530's and SA6's. Is this why people claim the triples come into their full sonic capacity when amped? It would seem logical to me that an amp would give these p's that little extra oomph they appear to be craving to fully unlock their sonic capabilities and light up their sound.

Oct 13, 2008 at 6:52 AM Post #1,662 of 9,690
It's really odd to say how different people's replies are. I wonder if it's got something to do with how they fit in people's ears? Anyway, put the shure foamies on mine the other day. Fit is better, but verdict's still out on the sound.

Oct 14, 2008 at 10:44 PM Post #1,663 of 9,690
I can't help but wonder if all these varying opinions still just come down to fit. I finally accepted that my comply foams are completely destroyed so I tossed in some standard rubber tips and can't believe how much they brought the sound back. I also better understand what people mean when they say the feel like the bass is kicking them in the side of the head. That doesn't happen to me with the foams. For the most part I think the sound of the rubber foams is pretty good, but whenever I put them in I feel like I am pushing a bunch of air into my ear and it hurts as if I'm creating too much pressure in there. Still not sure how to deal with that, the foams seem to avoid the problem completely though

Oct 15, 2008 at 4:35 PM Post #1,665 of 9,690
As has been ascertained by now, the triplefi's, due in large to their large nozzle diameters/barrels, can cause fit problems with small ear canals. I have medium-large ear canals and so I am having no problems with fit or comfort and can achieve a seal very easily, quickly and straight-forwardly. Therefore, I don't believe my concerns reflect any problems with fit or seal. However, I have not tried the triples with the standard format of wearing since the first few days I got em (sometime in early August this year). Maybe the flip-flop mod has something to do with my experience, eg pointing the nozzle opening/where the sound is emitted from against or partially against the sides of my ear canals or something, muffling it and/or deadening it somewhat. I'll try the ordinary wearing style again and see if that makes any differance. Also, I've been using a set of complys with my trips for 3 weeks or so now, constantly, with no changing of tips in that period. I did a bit of A B ing prior to settling on the complys- ie between the complys and the standard/included UE's bi-flange silicone tips- and I didn't notice much, if any, change to sound (assignable to tip variety used), then. Suppose, I could AB this again also, and clarify and confirm for myself if my prior observations are accurate.

I think, basically though, if these fail to prove anything, it's possible it's the chosen sound sig of these hp's and their freq distribution and sonic presentation that is bothering me (especially, comparatively, to my SA6's and SE530's- I listen to all three IEM's about equally, in patches). That is the recessed mids in conjunction with the forward mid-bass and highs. To me, this is giving the illusion (at least), that more is left in these hp's sonic tank to be extracted. This, along with both many other experienced head-fier's reports that these hp's benefit much from/really need to be being amped and their size and three driver physicall make-up, make me suspect an amp will open these up significantly more.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back