Ultimate Ears Triple Fi 10 Thread
Jul 27, 2008 at 5:18 PM Post #1,321 of 9,690
Quote:

Originally Posted by steviebee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Add ER-6 foams to the list.
You tried cutting off the second flange of the UE as Dublo7 suggested?

BigTony -the UE use memory wire & yes they're worn over the ear. Guess that negates me needing to answer your comfort question. I have only exp of Er-6 not 6i, so don't know about 6i foams (assuming you mean 6i & 'E6' was a typo). Good luck in yr search -if you have & like ER-6i, have you heard ER-4P/S? They overrun 6/6i by quite a big margin. They are legendarily (um, is that a proper word, lol?) good, no, great for their price and can hold their own against Shure, UE etc.

Edit\ Looking forward to your impressions in the UE IEM v Yuin earbud fight, Flavio!

Double Edit\ Yay! Carlos rode the TT of his life, & CSC are still in yellow! Watch out for Andy Schleck -he's going to win the Tour in the next couple of years
biggrin.gif

no i haven't cut the flange, i am a little reluctant.

Does anyone agree that these don't isolate very much? not like earplugs..

Out of all the tips, the medium single flange fits best (gives me a seal) but isolation still isn't what i think it should be. Bass response is decent.... i was thinking of trying the medium shure clear sleeves

Jul 28, 2008 at 12:52 AM Post #1,322 of 9,690
Hi all,

I got a pair of triples a few weeks back to use with my portables and my v-drums - still getting used to them but overall I'm very happy. Anyway, here are my thoughts on them:

Fit wise, the UE silicon tips really didn't do it for me, and I haven't tried any foam, shure olive or comply tips because deadening the high end is a bit counter-productive at this stage (one of the reasons why I bought these was to get some high end clarity). I'm currently using bi-flanges (standard, not flip flopped) and am now pretty happy with the fit.
The first week of trying them was quite hard though - I was really struggling with the seal and my ears felt raw from pulling them out and putting them back in... so if any new users are reading this thread, keep with it - it takes some time to get the fit right! (and for your ears to stop feeling violated)
I've also ordered some Shure E2c tips (medium grey and clear silicon) - so will let you know how those go.

In terms of sources, my A829 tends to drive the triples better - I get a fuller, more powerful sound, whereas my ipod tends to have a flatter sound (and lower output volume) - but I actually find this surprisingly pleasant at times. I was going to sell the ipod but I think I'll be keeping it... just for variety
biggrin.gif

Where these IEMs really shine for me are with my v-drums, which in my opinion are a very demanding source. The triples give me excellent low bass with plenty of bass impact, present but not overdone mids and sparkling highs. They outperform my previous monitors (HD25 and E5c) quite soundly and are the best monitors I've heard for this application so far.

Comparing the HD25's and E5c's to the triples:
HD25
- less bass impact and low bass extension than the triples
- clearer/more present highs (although I do find this to be a bit excessive at times) than the triples
- MUCH narrower soundstage than the triples
- Easier to pull on and off, arguably more comfortable (with velour pads) than the triples

E5c:
- More mid-bass than the triples but less low bass extension
- Mids are warmer, more forward than the triples
- Highs are a little rolled off compared to the triples.
- Seal is easier to get and maintain with modded Ety flange tips than the triples with bi-flanges.

I do find that a few songs are sibiliant with the triples, and I'm still trying to work out whether that's a bit-rate/encoding thing or whether it's just something I have to live with, given that the other 95% of my music sounds superb with them.
Strangely, I don't find the triples to be sibilant at all when used with the v-drums... I find their highs are slightly rolled off compared to my HD25's, so it's probably all relative.

Overall, I'm VERY happy with these - they are one of the few head-fi influenced purchases that don't have me questioning myself after the fact
rolleyes.gif

Jul 28, 2008 at 2:38 AM Post #1,324 of 9,690
what is sibilance again??? i forgot. And where would i find it?

Jul 28, 2008 at 3:18 AM Post #1,325 of 9,690
Thanks, Flavio! Good to see someone agrees with what I wrote
biggrin.gif

Elluzion: I interpret sibilance as when a headphone emphasizes certain aspects of the sound, making that aspect of the music shrill or harsh to listen to.

For example, words being spoken or sung with "s", "sh", "ch", "j" and similar sounds standing out (in an unpleasant way).
In music, I also interpret an overly piercing/strong treble (think overly bright cymbals, guitars with distortion in the high notes... or Mariah Carey LOL) to be sibilant, but I'm not sure if this is the "accepted" definition.
I think I make this association because the cans I've noticed sibilance in usually have strong treble frequencies - I don't recall hearing sibilance in warmer cans like E5c, PX100, etc.

Jul 28, 2008 at 3:28 AM Post #1,326 of 9,690
Quote:

Originally Posted by jonspanki /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks, Flavio! Good to see someone agrees with what I wrote
biggrin.gif

Elluzion: I interpret sibilance as when a headphone emphasizes certain aspects of the sound, making that aspect of the music shrill or harsh to listen to.

For example, words being spoken or sung with "s", "sh", "ch", "j" and similar sounds standing out (in an unpleasant way).
In music, I also interpret an overly piercing/strong treble (think overly bright cymbals, guitars with distortion in the high notes... or Mariah Carey LOL) to be sibilant, but I'm not sure if this is the "accepted" definition.
I think I make this association because the cans I've noticed sibilance in usually have strong treble frequencies - I don't recall hearing sibilance in warmer cans like E5c, PX100, etc.

No jonspanki, Triple.fi's are perfect, don't dare to say anything bad about them!!
Just kidding
biggrin.gif

Jul 28, 2008 at 3:47 AM Post #1,327 of 9,690
Quote:

Originally Posted by jma790 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No jonspanki, Triple.fi's are perfect, don't dare to say anything bad about them!!
Just kidding
biggrin.gif

HAHA! Well... I'm trying to be a little objective here... I slip into fanboy mode WAY too easily
biggrin.gif

I just wanted to add something... I listened to the triples for about 20 mins this morning, chillin and liking the sound a lot, but not really having any WOW moments...

Then, when it was time to leave for work, I swapped them out my Sony EX90 (which I've always held in high regard) - they sounded so flat (as in lifeless, not freq response) in comparison. Swapped them out for the CX300 (which I've always enjoyed when out and about as a fun sounding canalphone) and they sounded muddy and cloudy(?) in comparison.

Of course, you'd expect that given the price difference, but I find it funny how at times I acclimatise to the sound of the triples and forget just how good they are in comparison to my other gear...

Jul 28, 2008 at 4:29 AM Post #1,329 of 9,690
I am using the triples with the headstage lyrix and I havent heard any sibilance at all. Compared to the HD555 their high end is spectacular, but compared to the HD650 it's nothing great IMHO.

Im under the impression that the Lyrix dac/amp is a little dark, because the HD555 is unbearably bright with my old panasonic receiver, and it is perfect with the lyrix.

Jul 28, 2008 at 4:30 AM Post #1,330 of 9,690
hi guys i want to ask if tpf has that grado-ish sound, my refence is an SR-60. im contemplating between tpf and se530pth. i've read that the tpf seems to have pretty much sibilance, i don't know if that's true as i don't have the luxury of testing them (im from the philippines). i like listening to emi fujita, susan wong, punk rock (ataris, relient k, etc.), rock (rage against the machine).. will the tpf do the job or will i experience too much sibilance? thanks a lot.

Jul 28, 2008 at 6:19 AM Post #1,331 of 9,690
Quote:

Originally Posted by jobski /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hi guys i want to ask if tpf has that grado-ish sound, my refence is an SR-60. im contemplating between tpf and se530pth. i've read that the tpf seems to have pretty much sibilance, i don't know if that's true as i don't have the luxury of testing them (im from the philippines). i like listening to emi fujita, susan wong, punk rock (ataris, relient k, etc.), rock (rage against the machine).. will the tpf do the job or will i experience too much sibilance? thanks a lot.

Hi jobski,

Perhaps I should clarify my thoughts on the perceived sibilance of the triples. If I was to give advice to a new buyer on buying them, I would NOT say that sibilance is a point to consider on these iems, as I encounter it very, very rarely and consider it a very minor drawback.
I mentioned in a previous post that I maybe heard sibilance in around 5% of my music library, so it really is an insignificant amount. I merely mentioned it as a point of note - it's not a huge issue!

From what I've read, the triples have more treble sparkle and high end than the se530's (I've only ever used the old E5c and E3c, which seem to share a similar rolled-off signature in the highs). I don't know how the triples will compare to the Grados as I've never heard any of them.

Jul 28, 2008 at 6:28 AM Post #1,332 of 9,690
hi jonspanki,

thanks for the reply. i must've perceived that "sibilant tpf notion" the negative way. sibilance itself for me is based on the recording itself, as i can get them (sibilance) from my home theater, car audio and my headphones with some tracks and mostly from mp3's encoded from 256kbps below.

someone here in the forums also noted that if i want rock sound (distorted guitars, high pitched voices).. i should stay away from tpf's as it will pierce my ears.

i'm really quite confused from these feedbacks as it seems that there are still many people buying (owns) ue tpf's given these feedbacks.

anyone here using se530's? for an unbiased opinion
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 28, 2008 at 1:32 PM Post #1,333 of 9,690
I also experience no sibalance problems with my triple.fi. I have always used mine with an amp and after 3 months..I still love every minute with them. I have owned tons of canal phones (including se530) and none of them ever held a candle to the triples for me. I have always thought how peoples perceptions are different with music, and some ears are better than others for the smallest of details etc.. The triple.fi was the only can that ever gave me the "wow" factor. From the first time I put them in I was hooked. Fortunatley for me they have kept me from even being interested in any other cans for the last three months. I have'nt so much as thought about wanting anything else since I got these.

I didn't write this to dispute the sibalance issue...I just hadn't replied to this thread for awhile and felt the urge so to speak.

Jul 28, 2008 at 1:39 PM Post #1,334 of 9,690
Different strokes for different folks. I owned both at the same time and much prefer the SE530. I find it more natural sounding and drums sound a ton better (slam). I even prefer UM2 to TF Pro. I have to laugh UE marketing TF Pro as studio monitor type IEM. It's one of the most colored and un-natural IEM's I have ever heard. Far too dry and airy and that recessed midrange......
confused.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back