Ultimate Ears Triple Fi 10 Thread
Mar 9, 2016 at 11:05 PM Post #9,497 of 9,690
Thanks for the reply.
Must admit, the mic comes in handy when the phone rings. Looking around, it doesn't appear that anyone makes the cable with the mic? In which case, I'll do as you suggest.

You get luck with lunashops and/ or ebay,for the mic versions.....

Mar 15, 2016 at 2:25 AM Post #9,499 of 9,690
Hi there, I just ordered a set of TripleFi 10 on Amazon and was wondering if there was a difference between the different packaging versions? (silver UE box, blue Logitech box, etc.)

Mar 15, 2016 at 9:54 AM Post #9,500 of 9,690
Mine looked similar to this:
triple-fi-10.jpg

bought mine shortly after the Logitech UE deal happened

Apr 2, 2016 at 6:52 PM Post #9,501 of 9,690
Can anybody recommend an aftermarket cable for my TripleFi's? I had sold the earphones on ebay and the purchasers must have used a cable with a plug with slightly thicker pins.  They must have realized this and returned it to me as not being "as described".  The stock UE cable plugs will no longer stay inserted in the sockets, so I guess I'll have to buy a set of cables for it. Anybody know what brand of cable has slightly thicker pins?

Apr 2, 2016 at 7:08 PM Post #9,502 of 9,690
  Can anybody recommend an aftermarket cable for my TripleFi's? I had sold the earphones on ebay and the purchasers must have used a cable with a plug with slightly thicker pins.  They must have realized this and returned it to me as not being "as described".  The stock UE cable plugs will no longer stay inserted in the sockets, so I guess I'll have to buy a set of cables for it. Anybody know what brand of cable has slightly thicker pins?

If they messed up the sockets, then you might have to send them to someone like ted, maybe he can make a cable and have pieces he can test fit. I have the Fiio for mine, but I admit they dont fit as tight as I feel they should.

tedallen0220@gmail.com

Apr 3, 2016 at 4:13 PM Post #9,503 of 9,690

There are typically 2 kinds of 2pin connectors - the more common .78mm and the .75mm (which UE uses).

My guess would be that the 'buyer' inserted a set of .78mm plug cables without due research, and thus messed up your sockets.
If you are looking for cables with plugs of slightly thicker pins, any cable with .78 pins will do. (which every cable manufacturer should have - these are the most common connectors).
Though, given the circumstances, a .78mm plug may not be guaranteed to fit either.
Though ideally, you should get someone to test and fit one for you.

Apr 3, 2016 at 6:11 PM Post #9,504 of 9,690
Right, it is pretty clear that the buyer inserted the wrong size plugs.  The good news is that the sockets don't appear to be cracked, so I think a thicker plug should allow me to use the earphones without issue.

I've read that Westone cables have thicker pins -- I will assume they are the 0.78 mm diameter.  I'll try to find one of their cables to test things out.

Thanks for the information.

Apr 3, 2016 at 6:51 PM Post #9,506 of 9,690
Question: how do these puppies stand alongside all the new stuff available today? I've read an article from another headphone site listing the TF10 in its hall of fame, claiming it still stands tall amongst the new blood while other IEMs in its time have faded into oblivion. I currently have an sealed pair of TF10's I haven't gotten around to opening since receiving it as a warranty exchange years ago (I have bought a pair of Sony MDR-7550's prior to getting the replacement and just stuck w/ it). Right now I'm looking for a new purchase and mainly have my eyes on Nuforce's new HEM series. Wondering if these old dogs are still worth keeping around or if I would be better off selling them and putting them towards something newer. 

Apr 3, 2016 at 6:57 PM Post #9,507 of 9,690
  Question: how do these puppies stand alongside all the new stuff available today? I've read an article from another headphone site listing the TF10 in its hall of fame, claiming it still stands tall amongst the new blood while other IEMs in its time have faded into oblivion. I currently have an sealed pair of TF10's I haven't gotten around to opening since receiving it as a warranty exchange years ago (I have bought a pair of Sony MDR-7550's prior to getting the replacement and just stuck w/ it). Right now I'm looking for a new purchase and mainly have my eyes on Nuforce's new HEM series. Wondering if these old dogs are still worth keeping around or if I would be better off selling them and putting them towards something newer. 

It is always going to be a personal preference type of thing. I actually hate my TF10 after hearing better, others it may still appeal to them. I have been massively spoiled by going up the ladder in terms of higher end TOTL offerings.

Apr 3, 2016 at 7:05 PM Post #9,508 of 9,690

It is always going to be a personal preference type of thing. I actually hate my TF10 after hearing better, others it may still appeal to them. I have been massively spoiled by going up the ladder in terms of higher end TOTL offerings.

thx for the response. I can't really say I'll be going up the ladder that much. I know for sure I won't be venturing into the 800-1k universal territory nor will I enter the CIEM world either. So compared to current offerings within the 500-600 range or lower, is the TF10 still a contender? I essentially bought my first pair of TF10's when the only top players in the universal IEM world were the TF10s, Shure 535's, and i can't remember the third one lol

Apr 3, 2016 at 7:35 PM Post #9,509 of 9,690
  thx for the response. I can't really say I'll be going up the ladder that much. I know for sure I won't be venturing into the 800-1k universal territory nor will I enter the CIEM world either. So compared to current offerings within the 500-600 range or lower, is the TF10 still a contender? I essentially bought my first pair of TF10's when the only top players in the universal IEM world were the TF10s, Shure 535's, and i can't remember the third one lol

Even my first testing up the Noble line of IEM's started with the Noble 4, now called the Savanna, it was a massive improvement over the TF10. But as always, sound signatures are a personal preference. I have yet to compare their Trident to the TF10, both are v-shaped 3 driver configurations.

Apr 3, 2016 at 8:47 PM Post #9,510 of 9,690

The one thing I've found about the triple-fi's that still holds true is that they are very forgiving of lesser quality audio files. My understanding of the Noble line of IEM's, not so much so.

Let's just say, for me, the triple-fi's are my comfortable old pair of shoes. I still think they shine with custom wires and comply foams and I could move on from other IEM's, where as I would never outright get rid of my triple-fi's. Probably could turn them into Customs, but I'm not quite there yet thinking I'd probably have some sort of regret in doing so. In comparison to something up to date, I thought that the Sony XBA-Z5's would have humbled the triple-fi's to an almost night and day level, but from my perspective, I just wasn't bowled over by the Sony's in any capacity, except the bass which, for me, was way over the top. I guess I'm more of a balanced armature kind of guy.

The triple-fi's, to my ears, are in no way disgraced by what's out there. Yes, I'm sure current IEM technology has surpassed them in most ways, but the truth is, for me, I keep going back to the triple-fi's as that comfortable old pair of shoes and I'm never disappointed in the sound quality. Call me old School

Users who are viewing this thread

Back