Ultimate Ears Triple Fi 10 Thread
May 21, 2015 at 2:12 PM Post #9,301 of 9,690
I'm a little new to the audiophile level equipment, the TF10's are my first and only pair that I own, so I can't rotate between some others. Just don't want to pay an arm and a leg for a bunch of tips when I will only use 1 maybe 2 pair. I do enjoy the comply tips but I wear them alot at work and I have to take them out and put them back in constantly so the silicon ones work better for me.

How did you come by the TF10s?

May 21, 2015 at 2:39 PM Post #9,303 of 9,690

Lots of people were introduced by those flash sales they had. I saw comments on deal sites saying things like "$400 headphones for $99, I've never had anything more than $20 so I can't pass up something like this!"

You are basically right, Amazon had them on sale a 2-3 years ago for $99 and I said what the hell and tried them and have loved them ever since. Before that, the only other pair of higher end IEM's I've had was some lower end shure (not sure of the model) and they were starting to get worn out.

May 26, 2015 at 2:14 PM Post #9,304 of 9,690
So often I've read about cable failure with the TF10's. I don't think looking for a cheap solution is the way to go. I myself have gone thru the original plus 2 fiio's. I finally got myself a used set of custom cables made by Headphone Lounge (HPL) 2 yrs ago and they've worked perfectly. TF10's aren't low-fi cheapo earbuds. If you owned a sports car, would you be looking for the cheapest tires available? Like any quality audio gear, TF10's scale well when used with other quality components. There are many who feel cables don't affect sound quality but there are other reasons like build quality and better materials that should be factored into the mix. For me it boiled down to spending a little money a bunch of times vs. spending more once!

My cables last me about a year. Cheap or expensive ones it doesn't matter. I use my headphones at the gym everyday and sometimes twice a day. That sweat and movement just kills them. I'm going to try the Fiios from Amazon this time. I can't justify spending $100+ on replacement cables over and over.

May 26, 2015 at 3:12 PM Post #9,305 of 9,690

My cables last me about a year. Cheap or expensive ones it doesn't matter. I use my headphones at the gym everyday and sometimes twice a day. That sweat and movement just kills them. I'm going to try the Fiios from Amazon this time. I can't justify spending $100+ on replacement cables over and over.

It's not terrible except the microphonics can be bad and the one I have now hasn't shorted near the jack but the older black one did. Once I threw a new jack with stress relief on, it lasted a long time though.

Hint: Only loosely coil your cables when not in use.

I not only wanted the tf10 for 3 drivers but because I have had terrible luck with headphone cables crapping out within 6 months. Amazing that having these for a few years ended up being a lot cheaper than the $30+ buds I would have to constantly replace before I got into head-fi.

May 26, 2015 at 8:14 PM Post #9,306 of 9,690
  I just found official cables through the UE website.

I've been purchasing endless amount of really, really crappy Fiio cables.  They are just awful =/

If you order them through the UE website, make sure that you pick up the Pre-2010 cable type and not the newer version.

Pretty excited to get my UE cable.

Website - http://pro.ultimateears.com/products/custom-accessories/cases-cables

Photo - 

(I think these may be intended for old customs, but they will fit TF10's too, the After 2010 will fit to, but you'd have to modify them)

Did you receive your cable from UE? What do you think? I am looking to order this cable and have it balanced for Pono use. Just curious on it's build and fit. Thanks!

May 26, 2015 at 9:03 PM Post #9,307 of 9,690
I know these are lengendary IEM's (love mine!) but, are there any new IEM's that have been released recently that are on par with the TripleFi's, at or around the same price?

Im looking at these Hybrid IEM's. The Sony XBA-A3 looks like a contender! What's your opinion?

May 26, 2015 at 10:23 PM Post #9,308 of 9,690
I know these are lengendary IEM's (love mine!) but, are there any new IEM's that have been released recently that are on par with the TripleFi's, at or around the same price?

Im looking at these Hybrid IEM's. The Sony XBA-A3 looks like a contender! What's your opinion?

Around the same price they were when released? Because Noble offers a universal triple driver for $350.

http://nobleaudio.com/en/shop/universal/classic/

May 27, 2015 at 7:56 AM Post #9,309 of 9,690

There are many newer IEMs that outclass TF10 imo. You'll always have TF10 diehard fans which is totally understandable. If you include one faulty pair I've owned Triple-Fi 4 damn times in total since getting into portable audio.

Off the top of my head:

Dunu DN-1000
Fidue A83

Both of those will be a nice upgrade.

May 27, 2015 at 10:33 AM Post #9,310 of 9,690
May 27, 2015 at 10:45 AM Post #9,311 of 9,690
May 28, 2015 at 11:46 AM Post #9,313 of 9,690

It's not terrible except the microphonics can be bad and the one I have now hasn't shorted near the jack but the older black one did. Once I threw a new jack with stress relief on, it lasted a long time though.

Hint: Only loosely coil your cables when not in use.

I not only wanted the tf10 for 3 drivers but because I have had terrible luck with headphone cables crapping out within 6 months. Amazing that having these for a few years ended up being a lot cheaper than the $30+ buds I would have to constantly replace before I got into head-fi.

Just got my Fiios in from Amazon. It looks great but I'm hoping they don't get too discolored from the sweat at the gym. My old HPL Audio ones had the copper turning blue. The microphonics on it are the exactly the same as the ones I had from HPL but I put the cable in my shirt so no huge issue there. Only knock I have on them is that the wire is shorter than what I'm used to. We'll see how long these last. Might try the Logitech ones next time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back