Ultimate Ears MetroFi 220 review
Oct 31, 2009 at 10:48 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

babya

100+ Head-Fier
A.A.'s review of Ultimate Ears MetroFi 220:

Price paid $15 at Cash Converters
What comes included?:earphones, hard plastic case, different sized ear cushions, user and warranty booklets

What the Ultimate Ears MetroFi 220 packaging and earphones looks like:
dsc00001j.jpg

In this photo, I've also included Ultimate Ear's MetroFi 100 for comparison.

Introduction:

Ultimate Ears-when you think of them, you're probably most familar with their custom and Super.fi series earphones-but they also make the cheaper MetroFi series which are perfect for iPod/iPhone use.

My model, the 220 is at the top of the MetroFi range.

Design

Compared to the MetroFi 100, the 220 features a rubber cord (instead of the fabric like cord on the 100's) and impressively designed earpieces-it's very comfortable to wear.

The driver design is a single Titanium Coated Neodymium driver in each earpiece.

The earpieces are finished in a silver finish with the "UE" logo.

Sound quality
As you'd expect Ultimate Ears MetroFi 220 sounds very impressive-with perfectly balanced, crisp sound and nice bass. Soundstage on these is excellent-very surprising with these the detail and vlarity of music is improved greatly.

The isolation is excellent for a passive IEM.

Compared to: MetroFi 100
ue220.jpg

220-rubber cord, uses a Titanium Coated Neodymium Dynamic driver

dsc000012.jpg

100-fabric cord, uses a basic mylar type driver

Any sownsides?
Wished there was a soft type carrying cse included
Overall
I was really impressed with Ultimate Ears MetroFi 220-Logitech has made a great sub $100 IEM and is highly recommended

Oct 31, 2009 at 12:22 PM Post #2 of 6
I agree, but somehow I find the cheaper Metrofi 170 to be slightly better.
Strange.

Oct 31, 2009 at 2:38 PM Post #3 of 6
Personally, if there aren't negatives in a review the review is very difficult to judge. You could take those descriptors and use them on $300+ earphones. Especially for $15 dollar earphones there should be plenty to say about what wasn't so great. Just looking at the earphones, I can already tell there's almost no strain relievers

my two cents

Nov 14, 2009 at 11:24 PM Post #4 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by A_Dying_Wren /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Personally, if there aren't negatives in a review the review is very difficult to judge. You could take those descriptors and use them on $300+ earphones. Especially for $15 dollar earphones there should be plenty to say about what wasn't so great. Just looking at the earphones, I can already tell there's almost no strain relievers

Case in point: this review of the Shure SRH840s. After all, although I do not own them, I bet the Shure SE530 also: Quote:

Originally Posted by babya /img/forum/go_quote.gif
sounds very impressive-with perfectly balanced, crisp sound and nice bass. Soundstage on these is excellent-very surprising with these the detail and vlarity of music is improved greatly.

I am interested in these, though. How does the sound measure up to earphones in the same price range, like the critically acclaimed Image S4s?

Aug 19, 2010 at 4:24 PM Post #6 of 6
I really enjoyed the review dude...I have a pair and think they are brilliant for the price range!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back