Ultimate Ears are making me deaf!
Jun 2, 2006 at 8:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

depaulhifi

Head-Fier
I've had my super.fi 5pro's for about 6 months now and I am still loving them. One thing though, I find myself listening to them a lot louder now than I did when I first got them. At first, I feel like I used them to their intended purpose. I listened to them at a reasonable volume (50-60% volume on a 5G iPod), because the vast majority of the outside noise was blocked out, and allowed me to hear everything that was once lost at lower volumes. Over the past few weeks I have found myself listening to them much louder. now, around 70-90% volume. I think their "full" and "visceral" sound is what brings it out. I'll be listeing to a really high energy electronic track and the volume just seems to find its way up. Its not only with electronic music either. "I Bet That You Look Good On the Dancefloor" by Arctic Monkeys brings it out too. They just make the music sound so effortless, I just have to turn it up!

Anyone else experiencing this?

Jun 2, 2006 at 8:35 PM Post #2 of 24
Turn it down... You are risking hearing damage. Give your ears a break.

yes I find myself turning up my HD580 all the time. It sounds SO much better when its turned up.

Garrett

Jun 2, 2006 at 8:41 PM Post #3 of 24
I think in order to appreciate high volume, you need to torture yourself at low volume first. I suggest listening to low volume when you're doing your work with your music on.....then turn it up a lil (maybe not 90%....70%-80% would do just fine) when the only thing in your mind is music.

Jun 2, 2006 at 8:47 PM Post #4 of 24
TURN 'EM DOWN!!!! You are putting your hearing at great risk.

Try turning the volume down in small increments. Your ears/brain will adjust much more rapidly that way, and you won't miss the 'visceral' quality so much.

Jun 2, 2006 at 9:15 PM Post #5 of 24
DUDE! I mp3gained all my tracks (makes it quiter) and i STILL listen to them at about 30% volume, maybe 40%max! Well, my limit is usually until where the picture box ends...
If it produces anywhere near the same volume as UM2, ur screwed, turn it down

Jun 2, 2006 at 10:15 PM Post #6 of 24
If its too loud, you're too old!!! Ha ha.. Just kidding.. in my defense... I don't blast it all the time, but sometimes *that" song comes on and you just have to scratch that "live sound" itch.

Jun 2, 2006 at 10:30 PM Post #7 of 24
wow, even 50% volume on my ipod is too loud! i can't imagine 70-90%... but then again, i'm using e3c's. go back to the ipod stock buds!! better to hear crappy quality music than no music right??
icon10.gif

Jun 2, 2006 at 10:35 PM Post #8 of 24
I experience the same problem. I love the extra impact and dynamics that listening at loud volumes bring, but I am very cautious of my hearing and I usually listen at slightly lower than my desired volume. It was difficult to do at first, but with time, I got used to listening at a lower volume. Save your ears before it's too late!

Jun 2, 2006 at 10:55 PM Post #9 of 24
your headphones are not making you deaf.
you are.

stop turning up the volume. if you find the music "requests" volume increases to the point of stupidity for the details, or bass, get headphones better suited to your tastes.

Jun 3, 2006 at 12:05 AM Post #10 of 24
Wow, that's insane. I love loud music, but when i have my superfi 5s in my ears i never run them higher then 30% on my 5g ipod. You are destroying your hearing. You have probably done damage already, you really need to turn your music down before it gets worse.

As stated before, the headphones have nothing to do with this. This is all on you.

Jun 3, 2006 at 12:59 AM Post #11 of 24
As we all know so well from our studies of the movies and popular TV; simply understanding the problem is the first step in curing it!!

Congratulations on taking the first step to healthy hearing for a lifetime!!

(does that sound corney to everyone else, too?)Seriously; understanding that the tunes are too loud can't hurt!

But listening too loud, can!

....we knew that.

Jun 3, 2006 at 1:26 AM Post #12 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by nikongod
your headphones are not making you deaf.
you are.

I gathered that. It was a joke/expression. Don't go all ENT on me.

Quote:

Originally Posted by nikongod
stop turning up the volume. if you find the music "requests" volume increases to the point of stupidity for the details, or bass, get headphones better suited to your tastes.

The details in the music does not beckon me to turn up the volume. Its the "energy" of the music iteself. I do a lot of live sound and club sound stuff as a side job. The energy in one of the clubs I work at is nothing short of incredible.... especially when you're in front of the tables.

Jun 3, 2006 at 2:04 AM Post #13 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by depaulhifi
I gathered that. It was a joke/expression. Don't go all ENT on me.

The details in the music does not beckon me to turn up the volume. Its the "energy" of the music iteself. I do a lot of live sound and club sound stuff as a side job. The energy in one of the clubs I work at is nothing short of incredible.... especially when you're in front of the tables.

Woah! This is starting to sound like an Addiction!!

I have no clue as to how to respond to this latest development.

.........sounds like fun though!!

Jun 3, 2006 at 8:56 AM Post #14 of 24
I use the super.fi's 5pro with a 4'th gen i-pod between 10%-40% and 40% for me is VERY loud, so is only for a short period of time at thet level.

Recently I gave them to a friend to try some Metallica, and he pumped up the volume at about 60%-70%, against my advices. After about 20 minutes he started to experience a very strong headache...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back