Ultimate Ears 5 BIG Problem!
Mar 20, 2007 at 7:18 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

keiith

Head-Fier
Long story short.

Happened after I was experimenting with some tips. Then suddenly lost sound in one of the drivers. Pulled the Driver out and the driver connector stuck on to the wire cable. And the wire was all mangled... Connector still fits in to the driver and everything, I just am not getting any sound.

Why oh why did this have to happen
frown.gif
It wasn't like I used unncessary force, and I've pulled the drivers out plenty of times with my Super Fi 3's previously when doing the Flipmod...

Does any one know if this is easily fixable?

Mar 20, 2007 at 7:40 AM Post #2 of 13
I will be honest in my questions and statements:

1.) It is the 5 Pro...the most troublesome product of UE in terms of build quality

2.) You probably slaughtered your warranty taking out the driver itself, but perhaps UE will take pity on you and still give you a replacement pair.

3.) What part are you asking about "easily fixable"? The screwed up wire, or the loss of sound?

Bottom line is that there is no hope for it except to try and send it back to UE.

Mar 20, 2007 at 7:48 AM Post #3 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMarchingMule /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I will be honest in my questions and statements:

1.) It is the 5 Pro...the most troublesome product of UE in terms of build quality

2.) You probably slaughtered your warranty taking out the driver itself, but perhaps UE will take pity on you and still give you a replacement pair.

3.) What part are you asking about "easily fixable"? The screwed up wire, or the loss of sound?

Bottom line is that there is no hope for it except to try and send it back to UE.

I thank you TheMarchingMule for your honest questions/statements, so let me answer them just as honestly back.

1) ... Conveniently forgotten about the Triple Fi? Ultimate Ears 10? Thanks for complimenting the -build quality- of my -dead- canalphones though... =p I'm sure Ultimate Ears have the resources to fix this problem with the experience they have in quality Canalphones and I'm sure this isn't a completely isolated (lol pun) issue.

2) Slaughtered warranty? They were designed to be easily attatchable/detatchable, so individual parts such as the wire can be easily replaced if you happen to kill that ala on this link http://www.ultimateears.com/superfi/...ccessories.htm, but I have never heard of an issue of this connector that I have. Also Ultimate Ears subtly encourage swapping of the drivers which require switching the drivers over in the Super.Fi mod - http://www.ultimateears.com/videos/superfi_mod.htm

3) Sound. It would take some quite dexterity I'm thinking to replace such a small wire... I'm guessing if it was to be fixed, the connector bit would just be replaced.

Mar 20, 2007 at 7:54 AM Post #4 of 13
Wow, you really are a DIY guy, huh? Crazy, but that's cool.

No, dude...the cable, yes, it was made to be detached, reattached, whatever. But you freakin' opened up the main housing of the unit that housed the drivers and dumped out its innards!
blink.gif
That is probably (read: 99.9%) not covered by warranty if UE finds that out. In that link, they said just to unplug it from the main detachable cable, and flip them, not actually TAKE OUT the drivers.

Oh Lord...
plainface.gif

Just email/call up UE and see what they can do for you, although I can't see a way around not telling them you opened the housing up. How are they to know that you didn't destroy the wiring yourself, since you already blew your warranty by opening the housing?

Mar 20, 2007 at 8:00 AM Post #5 of 13
You seem to be missing a few words in the first post. Hate to have to quote myself, but for your information.

Quote:

Pulled the Driver out and the driver connector stuck on to the wire cable.

That connector came off by itself. LOL if I was a real DIY guy, I wouldn't have this problem I'd be able to fix a simple wire.

I was pulling the driver out, once I experienced some loss of sound for some reason, the connector bit that now includes the mangle wired STUCK on to the main wire. I simply took that connector off the main wire and put it next to the driver for picture purposes.

Tried to make that descriptive and full of imagery so you could understand my fairy tale.

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMarchingMule /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just email/call up UE and see what they can do for you, although I can't see a way around not telling them you opened the housing up. How are they to know that you didn't destroy the wiring yourself, since you already blew your warranty by opening the housing?

This is an interesting point however and I hope I don't get caught up in this pickle... although If they insist it is human error I wouldn't mind paying for it as long as it wasn't an extravagant amount (hence the reason I asked originally if this defect was easily fixable, so I could understand if fixing this through UE would cost a fortune)

Although there is NOTHING in that sealed space where the connector fits. It's just the connector/wire into the driver, there aren't a more bunch of wires from where the connector came out... If you can catch my drift.

For confusion's sake, here's a new picture of everything basically I'm explaning here.

Mar 21, 2007 at 5:32 AM Post #6 of 13
I would let UE know that as you were detaching the cable, the connector came off. Tell them you were only grasping the cable connector and gently wriggling the cable and the connector on the monitor side just popped off. If you give them your story, which I'm guessing is really what happened to you, then I'm pretty sure they will send you a replacement.

Mar 21, 2007 at 6:12 AM Post #7 of 13
LOL I get it now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
tongue.gif

Thank you for that extraordinary pic; I get it now. Yeah, your excuse is plausible...worth a try to email them and tell them what happened and how.

Mar 21, 2007 at 6:48 PM Post #8 of 13
This happened to me - I was just walking down the street minding my own business when all of a sudden I went deaf in my left ear and, when I reached to take my 5's off, I discovered at first what I thought was the left hand cable floating free in the air - its was only once I had the earphones in my hand that I could see that the socket together with a short length of wire was still stuck on the end of the lead leaving a nasty blank hole in the left hand drive unit.

Apart from cracking casework, this seems to be the 2nd most common problem with the 5 series, but don't panic - just get in touch the UE's customer service people via email and they'll issue you a RMA # so that you can return them and get a brand new replacement.

Mar 22, 2007 at 12:16 PM Post #9 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by leqin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This happened to me - I was just walking down the street minding my own business when all of a sudden I went deaf in my left ear and, when I reached to take my 5's off, I discovered at first what I thought was the left hand cable floating free in the air - its was only once I had the earphones in my hand that I could see that the socket together with a short length of wire was still stuck on the end of the lead leaving a nasty blank hole in the left hand drive unit.

Apart from cracking casework, this seems to be the 2nd most common problem with the 5 series, but don't panic - just get in touch the UE's customer service people via email and they'll issue you a RMA # so that you can return them and get a brand new replacement.

Thanks, this is exactly the thing I wanted to hear! Will be getting in touch with UE about this issue ASAP.

I'm not sure why they would want that little connector thing to be that easily detatchable in the first place, I don't see why any one would need such easy access to it... definitely should be more STURDIER!

Mar 22, 2007 at 7:04 PM Post #10 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by keiith /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks, this is exactly the thing I wanted to hear! Will be getting in touch with UE about this issue ASAP.

I'm not sure why they would want that little connector thing to be that easily detatchable in the first place, I don't see why any one would need such easy access to it... definitely should be more STURDIER!

well there's only so much plastic you can cram into such a tiny space, so - personally - I see this whole area of the Super-fi series as a problem waiting to happen on unsuspecting users and, if it was me, I would go right back to the drawing board and rework the whole design.

Mar 26, 2007 at 9:27 AM Post #12 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by chihku /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Pulled out the SF3 cable+connector once.
Never willing to try again after been replaced LOL

haha, I actually never pulled it out besides for doing the Super.Fi Mod to switch the drivers, I only did so after I lost sound in one of the drivers.

Anyway, I sent an e-mail off to UE explaining the whole situation as best as I could, just waiting for a reply. Quite annoying since I reside in Australia and I'm guessing shipping both ways will take some time in eventually getting a replacement.

Mar 26, 2007 at 10:05 AM Post #13 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by keiith /img/forum/go_quote.gif
haha, I actually never pulled it out besides for doing the Super.Fi Mod to switch the drivers, I only did so after I lost sound in one of the drivers.

Anyway, I sent an e-mail off to UE explaining the whole situation as best as I could, just waiting for a reply. Quite annoying since I reside in Australia and I'm guessing shipping both ways will take some time in eventually getting a replacement.

I RMA'd my latest pair of 5's back over a month ago now and, since then, I haven't heard diddly squate from UE as to whether they actually received them and whether or not the new set are on their way - not that I am that concerned
wink.gif
personally I have grown tired of them breaking down in one fashion or another and I'm quite enjoying the set of ER-4P's I have on loan and, if and when they do arrive, its highly likely that new set will go on sale.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back