Ultimate dream portable rig?
Nov 7, 2001 at 11:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

johnnylexus

500+ Head-Fier
I thought I saw a thread in here about a month ago where people listed what they consider the ultimate portable setup. Source, amp, cans, etc. Now I can't find that thread anywhere.

What would you choose, especially if money were not that big of an issue?

Nov 8, 2001 at 12:48 AM Post #2 of 22
Well beyond money there is also the question of just how portable you need your setup. If weight and size were not too much of an issue, I would get:

Headphones: Etymotic ER4S
Amp: MicroZOTL (never heard this, but reviews are excellent, and it's technically portable and can run on batteries)
CD Player: One of those Panasonic ones with a digital out
DAC: Probably the Audio Alchemy DACMan, which is out of production and is, if I'm not mistaken, a portable DAC.

But of course the Microzotl is not particularly small or light, so if I cared about size somewhat, I would probably get:

Headphones: Etymotic ER4S
CD Player: Radio Shack 3400 (I've heard its cousin, the 3904, and it sounds quite good... many audio greats think the 3400 sounds as good as entry-level home CDPs)
Amp: Headroom Cosmic or perhaps a JMT amp... has anyone compared these two? Of course this is going on reputation, as I haven't heard either one.

Nov 8, 2001 at 1:07 AM Post #4 of 22
Radio Shack 3400 (I was sooooo close
frown.gif
)
Dacman/DIY DAC
Cosmic/DIY Cosmic clone
Grado RS-1
headroom traveler bag

Nov 8, 2001 at 2:32 AM Post #6 of 22
Well, I'm pretty much at my "dream" portable setup... realistic dream that is...

Ety ER-4S
Apheared 47 (altoid)
Straightwire mini->rca
Sony D-EJ815

I may make some DIY interconnects some day... and thats it, my portable setup would be finished... otherwise...

I'll have what Kevin Gilmore is having
smily_headphones1.gif
(in the words of Jude... thats a Stax MK-2 portable amp... I think... feeding a Stax Omega II from a Sony D-EJ01)

Nov 8, 2001 at 11:57 PM Post #7 of 22
Any Sony upper level PCDP (I have the E-j952 and the E-J01, both have metal cases and digital outs)
AA DACman
Headroom Cosmic (soon to be complimented the a JMT CHA47 amp, for real portability).
ETY 4S
For exceptional portability (on planes, etc): MD player (Sony R909 or the newer Sharp) and the Ety 4P.

Nov 9, 2001 at 12:14 AM Post #8 of 22
Well heres a well travelled backpackers perspective...

Its got to be lightweight and compact, durable, and run off aa nimh, as do your shaver, maglite, short wave radio etc. I have two aa chargers, one solar and one 12 v fast car charger that together weigh about half of any wall wart arrangement.

Source..... a third gen. mp3/cd such as the new panasonic / sony/ or upcoming slimline alloy bodied iriver imp 350. This would allow 50 of your favourite albums to be burned to 10 or less cds.

Phones...ez choice, koss ksc-35.

smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 9, 2001 at 2:22 AM Post #9 of 22
Thankfully, I'm pretty close to having my dream portable rig...

Ety ER4S
Panasonic CT780 (newest model WITH a line out)
JMT/Porta Corda (porta corda coming soon...)
Headroom Airbag

I've tried the TA, and I like my current amp better, and hopefully the porta corda will be even better than that.

I used the Cosmic for a week or so, and it's amazing. Someday, when I have the money to blow, I'll get one
smily_headphones1.gif
It sounds GREAT with etys in a portable setup, definitely THE portable amp to get if money is no object.

Nov 9, 2001 at 5:49 AM Post #10 of 22
I have no amp so....

Sony D-777 with Sony MDR-E888
Sharp MD-ss323 with Sony MDR-E484
These two players also go well with Grado SR-80.

No amp yet
frown.gif

Nov 9, 2001 at 10:55 AM Post #11 of 22
My portable setup is pretty much exactly what I want: a Sony MZ-E900 MD player (53g, smaller than 2 blank discs, 60-hour battery life) and a pair of Ety ER4P (for stationary "portable") and a pair of Koss KSC-35 (for active "portable).

Tiny, great sound, long battery life, for exercise or plane rides
wink.gif

Nov 9, 2001 at 8:44 PM Post #12 of 22
I like my R700 Sony MD with KSC-35s....888s are nice, too, except now that I can't listen to em, I'm beginning to realize what a bad deal they are.

However....my DREAM portable setup would be the New Etys with a Sony R909
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 11, 2001 at 6:55 PM Post #14 of 22
The system I already have.

Someday, I want a good listen to the CD 3400 and a Denon or two just to see if I'm missing anything.

In the mean time, my NOS Technics portable convinced me to put my almost old Panasonic SL-SX460 into storage. The difference in detail and balance got to me...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back