Ultimate DIY: the 3.5mm 1/8" mini jack plug collection thread
Feb 19, 2009 at 12:12 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 485

thedips

100+ Head-Fier
ok guys... after many many searches for the ultimate 3.5 mini plugs available for diy-ers.... seems like there arent as many cool plugs as there are rca or 1/4 ....

so here is my attempt to consolidate all those plugs and jacks in one convenient thread.. so that hopefully 3.5 searches will bring people here instead of little random threads all over the intrawebz!

please feel free to contribute a 3.5mm 1/8" mini stereo/mono jack/plug to this REFERENCE thread for DIY cable makers.....

edit 1: also any suggestions comments or reviews of any or all of these plugs are also highly recommended!
edit 2: please include any innards of any or all the mini plugs you come across that also would be a great reference for future cable makers.

-------------------------------------------

155idxc.jpg

NEUTRIK
Neutrik, Connectors, XLR, Speakon, Audio
3.5mm plugs

343t85u.jpg

SWITCHCRAFT
Switchcraft
3.5 right angle
3.5 heavy duty

ogz152.jpg

CANARE
Canare Corp. - Quality Cables and Connectors
3.5 plugs Canare F series

vyazia.png

CALRAD
www.calrad.com
calrad series 30 connectors

t7iagj.jpg

XLOHT
XLO Electric
3.5 XLO ht plug

apjodt.jpg

PAILICCS
pailiccs 3.5mm plug

2ed6r03.jpg

SUPRA
supra mp8 3.5 plug

10i7zo7.jpg

QABLES
www.qables.com
3.5 threaded mini jack

2h8a8ew.jpg

YARBO AUDIOPHILE
www.yarboaudiophile.com/
3.5i stereo plug

2r24sc2.jpg

wmky84.jpg

VIABLUE AUDIO
http://www.viablue.de/de/

cryoparts_mini_plug.jpg

CRYO-PARTS
cryo-parts 3.5 custom mini plug

5wmr13.jpg

SONICWAVE

Feb 19, 2009 at 12:28 AM Post #3 of 485
Quote:

Originally Posted by gore.rubicon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
why not expand it to different plug types =D

ha! simply because i just have no idea where to begin with the "other types" there are literally so many.... however... when it comes to these little 3.5s it seems like i see the same 2 or 3....id love to see more variety such as other more "popular" connectors..
darthsmile.gif

Feb 19, 2009 at 12:52 AM Post #4 of 485
The black nickel plated switchcrafts are not worth their price. I just built a cable with one and the plug is slightly too short, the nickel plating looks cheap, and the plastic rings are very cheap. Definitely not worth the $7 on mouser.

Feb 19, 2009 at 1:38 AM Post #5 of 485
Quote:

Originally Posted by gore.rubicon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
why not expand it to different plug types =D

The idea is to focus on one plug. A thread with all plugs would be huge, hard to navigate, and therefore not all that useful. This keeps it concise, I think.

Now if only we could find a supplier for the PAILICCS plug.

Feb 19, 2009 at 2:09 AM Post #6 of 485
Quote:

Originally Posted by ThePredator /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The black nickel plated switchcrafts are not worth their price. I just build a cable with one and the plug is slightly too short, the nickel plating looks cheap, and the plastic rings are very cheap. Definitely not worth the $7 on mouser.

It worths every penny @$5 from Markertek to me.

Feb 19, 2009 at 2:29 AM Post #8 of 485
Quote:

Originally Posted by FallenAngel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Worth every penny @ $3.89 from AudioAdapter.
wink.gif

Best prices I've found for Neutrik and SwitchCraft connectors. They don't have much else, but for connectors, that's where I always go.

thank for this... great price for sure!

Feb 19, 2009 at 3:51 AM Post #9 of 485
Quote:

Originally Posted by FallenAngel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Worth every penny @ $3.89 from AudioAdapter.
wink.gif

Best prices I've found for Neutrik and SwitchCraft connectors. They don't have much else, but for connectors, that's where I always go.

That's a very good source but I still prefer Markertek because they offer a variety of plugs and cables.
smile_phones.gif
Will save more, I think.

Feb 19, 2009 at 8:56 AM Post #14 of 485
Redco.com has the best prices I have seen on Mini plugs and they have bulk cable at cheap prices to suite many applications. If you are looking to do a cheap Mogami recable, this is the place to get everything in a single cheap order.

Feb 19, 2009 at 9:50 AM Post #15 of 485
I am looking for a 1/4 to 1/8 ANGLED adaptor, but I have not found one yet, any ideas?

Cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back