UK Head-Fi'ers - Do you want to see a new, mystery SoundMAGIC product?
Oct 14, 2015 at 1:02 PM Post #32 of 67
I may be too late for consideration, but if not please throw my name in the hat too.

I'm Scottish, but don't worry, I'll include a full glossary as part of my preview :)

Make sure he returns it too!! :joy:

Oct 15, 2015 at 4:08 PM Post #36 of 67
Hi,

I'm UK based and a fan of SoundMagic, having owned and enjoyed E30 and E50's.

No reviews posted, but I write reasonably and have read enough reviews to have a view of how I'd go about it.

Very intrigued by the new, mystery product.

Oct 15, 2015 at 10:04 PM Post #38 of 67
Yes! I'm in Southampton and own the PL30. Over the next month I'll be reviewing several pieces of equipment and getting my reviewing chops built up. I'll be writing reviews of all the gear I own, including the PL30 and posting them here on Head-Fi. I'm an academic, so I basically write and do science for a living (Health Economist), and have developed communication campaigns for grassroots organising. In other words, I have some writing chops.

I'm also an American living in the UK, so I may have a broader perspective than some other UK Head-Fi members. Probably not, though, I'm pretty new. Hey look at me I'm different. :wink:

I look forward to hearing your new mystery product. (this is called assuming the sale, and I've never had it work)

Edited for hubris.

Oct 16, 2015 at 6:39 AM Post #39 of 67
  Yes! I'm in Southampton and own the PL30. I've also turned some other people on to your H5s. Over the next month I'll be reviewing several pieces of equipment and getting my reviewing chops built up. I'll be writing reviews of all the gear I own, including the PL30 and posting them here on Head-Fi. I'm an academic, so I basically write and do science for a living (Health Economist), and have developed communication campaigns for grassroots organising. In other words, I have some writing chops.

I'm also an American living in the UK, so I have a broader perspective than some other UK Head-Fi members may have.

I look forward to hearing your new mystery product.

Hi.  What do you have a broader perspective on that some other UK Head-Fi members don't? 

Oct 16, 2015 at 6:44 AM Post #40 of 67
  Hi.  What do you have a broader perspective on that some other UK Head-Fi members don't? 

I may know more about American tastes, and that's a big maybe as I'm no marketing expert. All I'm getting at is I may have an uncommon characteristic among UK Head-Fi members as being an American living abroad. I've lived in the UK for four years now, so I've gotten a bit of both perspectives. In the end, we all may be the same when it comes to audio, so this different characteristic may not matter.

Oct 16, 2015 at 6:49 AM Post #41 of 67

I may know more about American tastes, and that's a big maybe as I'm no marketing expert. All I'm getting at is I may have an uncommon characteristic among UK Head-Fi members as being an American living abroad. I've lived in the UK for four years now, so I've gotten a bit of both perspectives. In the end, we all may be the same when it comes to audio, so this different characteristic may not matter.

That characteristic does not matter.  To me, that was quite a presumptuous and dare I say arrogant statement to make in a thread targeted at UK Head-Fiers given your 178 post count and, from all available evidence, relatively little experience in headphones compared to some of these UK Head-Fi members.

Oct 16, 2015 at 6:50 AM Post #42 of 67

No, we are all entirely unique in our tastes, regardless of where we come from.

Oct 16, 2015 at 8:57 AM Post #43 of 67
  That characteristic does not matter.  To me, that was quite a presumptuous and dare I say arrogant statement to make in a thread targeted at UK Head-Fiers given your 178 post count and, from all available evidence, relatively little experience in headphones compared to some of these UK Head-Fi members.

Matt, with your 1008 posts, you don't appear to have gained any experience about decorum. I didn't insult anyone else's perspective. There was never any need to target me, as I did not target anyone else or even a general class of Brits. My statement was only intended to make me stand out, and I acknowledged that the difference may not matter. I should have put a may in front of the 'broader perspective.' I regret if my statement made me stand out in a negative manner or unintentionally disparaged others, as this was not my intention. I don't feel that your comments have been civil, and I won't respond to further comments trolling me for thinking that being American might give me a different perspective and a different way of expressing myself while still having some experience of Britain. 

Citing my post count is the epitome of arrogance--pot kettle black, man. Doing that basically says that anyone with a low post count has nothing to say, or their perspective doesn't matter. That goes against the purpose of this community: to celebrate and spread this wallet-busting hobby. I didn't say that other people's perspectives didn't matter, I said mine was different. You are right in that we are all different and unique, but you don't walk into a job interview and state "I'm unique, like everyone else." I don't have much to set me apart; I'm new here, I picked what I have and it was a poor choice, your initial question and my response was enough to draw attention to that
deadhorse.gif
. Maybe my difference doesn't set me apart and my interview was a failure (like this metaphor), but that isn't your decision to make, and I didn't earn an attack for leaving out one word, "may," before a statement of broader perspective.

I can see that you have a lot of experience, an excellent stable of equipment, take decent photos and have classically trained ears from your profile. I'd probably trust your reviews. I'd appreciate it if your experience included not attacking a person you may view as your inferior in Head-Fi, which is what your statements imply (intentional or not). Your words make it appear like you want to take me down a peg for being "arrogant" and trying to speak above my station. I'd quit that kind of attitude, it doesn't befit someone who has friend in his name. Let's try to keep it friendly.

Oct 16, 2015 at 9:23 AM Post #44 of 67

Matt, with your 1008 posts, you don't appear to have gained any experience about decorum. I didn't insult anyone else's perspective. There was never any need to target me, as I did not target anyone else or even a general class of Brits. My statement was only intended to make me stand out, and I acknowledged that the difference may not matter. I should have put a may in front of the 'broader perspective.' I regret if my statement made me stand out in a negative manner or unintentionally disparaged others, as this was not my intention. I don't feel that your comments have been civil, and I won't respond to further comments trolling me for thinking that being American might give me a different perspective and a different way of expressing myself while still having some experience of Britain. 

Citing my post count is the epitome of arrogance--pot kettle black, man. Doing that basically says that anyone with a low post count has nothing to say, or their perspective doesn't matter. That goes against the purpose of this community: to celebrate and spread this wallet-busting hobby. I didn't say that other people's perspectives didn't matter, I said mine was different. You are right in that we are all different and unique, but you don't walk into a job interview and state "I'm unique, like everyone else." I don't have much to set me apart; I'm new here, I picked what I have and it was a poor choice, your initial question and my response was enough to draw attention to that
deadhorse.gif
. Maybe my difference doesn't set me apart and my interview was a failure (like this metaphor), but that isn't your decision to make, and I didn't earn an attack for leaving out one word, "may," before a statement of broader perspective.

I can see that you have a lot of experience, an excellent stable of equipment, take decent photos and have classically trained ears from your profile. I'd probably trust your reviews. I'd appreciate it if your experience included not attacking a person you may view as your inferior in Head-Fi, which is what your statements imply (intentional or not). Your words make it appear like you want to take me down a peg for being "arrogant" and trying to speak above my station. I'd quit that kind of attitude, it doesn't befit someone who has friend in his name. Let's try to keep it friendly.

Ok, I'm sorry if I came across as particularly harsh, I didn't mean to do that and maybe if you had heard me speak the words I said, you might not have found my response quite so scathing.  This is the problem when we try to communicate through typed text and not through the nuance of our voices.  I couldn't help but read your initial post as presumptuous and given your reply, I admit that I may have read into that too strongly and I apologise.  But, please understand that I had reasonable grounds to respond when you imply that because you are from America and now over here, you may have more insight about certain aspects relevant to this review tour than the other UK Head-Fiers here.  You said that and I challenged that and I would have liked to have thought that you understand that.  After all, can you not see, in hindsight, where my response came from?  I'm no troll, I did not target you and I don't think myself superior to anyone.  I targeted your slant (which I still believe is quite a ridiculous thing to say) as it was you who seemed to, in some way, attempt to offer yourself as a superior choice as a candidate.  That's what I felt and that's why I responded.  At the time, it did rather feel like I wanted to take you down a peg, I admit.  I'm sorry if I offended you, I thought you might just realise the provoking nature of what you said.  It was never meant to be a scathing attack and I have misrepresented myself if that is the case as I'm not a mean nor arrogant person.

I hope we can continue friendly from here.

Oct 16, 2015 at 9:24 AM Post #45 of 67

deadhorse.gif

Ok, I'm sorry if I came across as particularly harsh, I didn't mean to do that and maybe if you had heard me speak the words I said, you might not have found my response quite so scathing.  This is the problem when we try to communicate through typed text and not through the nuance of our voices.  I couldn't help but read your initial post as presumptuous and given your reply, I admit they I may have read into that too strongly and I apologise.  But, please understand that I had reasonable grounds to respond when you imply that because you are from America and now over here, you may have more insight about certain aspects relevant to this review tour than the other UK Head-Fiers here.  You said that and I challenged that and I would have liked to have thought that you understand that.  After all, can you not see, in hindsight, where my response came from?  I'm no troll, I did not target you and I don't think myself superior to anyone.  I targeted your slant (which I still believe is quite a ridiculous thing to say) as it was you who seemed to, in some way, attempt to offer yourself as a superior choice as a candidate.  That's what I felt and that's why I responded.  At the time, it did rather feel like I wanted to take you down a peg, I admit.  I'm sorry if I offended you, I thought you might just realise the provoking nature of what you said.  It was never meant to be a scathing attack and I have misrepresented myself if that is the case as I'm not a mean nor arrogant person.

I hope we can continue friendly from here.

Missing out that tiny word 'may' makes all the difference.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back