UK 2012 Head-Fi Meet - September 15th Cambridgeshire.
Aug 17, 2012 at 2:15 PM Post #1,126 of 1,381
Quote:
Mattyhew,

Post meet us hoary oldies will be supping our warm real ale and bemoaning the demise of MONO recordings - STEREO is just so wrong and sounds awful.  

wink_face.gif

Cheers

While I have grown to appreciate a good ale in my few years, the mystical art of MONO recordings still alludes me, I should inform you however I am a staunch disciple O' Great King of MONO :p

Aug 17, 2012 at 4:09 PM Post #1,127 of 1,381
Quote:
jr41,

A coat or two of Cuprinol or Ronseal and your woodies will withstand the worst vestiges of the British weather! 

Cheers,

Andy.

I'll do a search to understand more about the sonic impact of applying these wood preservatives. Given the lengths I've seen the Grado modding community go to, I'm sure it's been done!

Aug 18, 2012 at 2:19 AM Post #1,128 of 1,381
jr41,

RFI interference is a major factor too and contributes to deleterious sound, so make a tin foil hat and wear it underneath your Grado's, as the metal content of the foil refracts the RFI. If brain overheating occurs, a colander is a good breathable alternative.

popcorn.gif

Andy.

Quote:

I'll do a search to understand more about the sonic impact of applying these wood preservatives. Given the lengths I've seen the Grado modding community go to, I'm sure it's been done!

Aug 18, 2012 at 4:24 AM Post #1,129 of 1,381
POST MEET SOIREE

Guys,

A few meet attendees have mentioned a post meet get together and I think that it would be great to have an informal drink/meal together.

So... how about convening here around 18:00 as it's nearby to the event venue and Travelodge -  http://www.menzieshotels.co.uk/hotels/south-central/cambridge/how-to-find-us/

The restaurant is open to non guests and the sample menu looks pretty good - http://www.menzieshotels.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/Menzies-Cambridge-Sample-Menu.pdf

I'll need to ascertain potential numbers and book a table(s) - so please shout if you're interested in dining.

Cheers,

Andy. 

Aug 19, 2012 at 4:32 AM Post #1,132 of 1,381
JoetheArachnid,

There may be a separate dessert trolley packed with scrumptious puddings and other sweet treats!

L3000.gif

Cheers,

Andy.

Quote:
I'm interested in the dining - though somewhat concerned about the lack of puddings on that menu.
tongue.gif

Aug 19, 2012 at 4:23 PM Post #1,136 of 1,381
Okay, my guest has confirmed that he'll be attending and would also like to come to the meal. So that's one extra.

Aug 19, 2012 at 5:30 PM Post #1,137 of 1,381
Quote:
Guys,

Here's a post specifically for Head-Fi newbies who don't own a dedicated portable headphone amplifier yet.

If you're still using your iPod (or other DAP/smartphone) without a headphone amp and are contemplating buying one but don't have that much disposable income, are an impoverished student, or are interminably indecisive...

...here's your chance to win a brand new Electric-Avenues PA2V2 headphone amplifier for nowt. I bought the amp about 2 years ago, stored and forgot about it until yesterday when it emerged from a storage box. The PA2V2 has never been used and is a great starter amp.

To win it there's nothing to do, apart from posting a thread message and explaining that Head-Fi is a new hobby and that you don't yet own a headphone amp.  

Please be HONEST and only ask for the PA2V2 if you genuinely don't have an amp yet. All entries will be put into a hat and the winner drawn at random on Tuesday 21st August at 18:00

Cheers,

Andy.

Surprised no-ones jumped on this. I don't have a use for one of these cause i got a J3, and it drives pretty well with my phones
wink_face.gif

Quote:
POST MEET SOIREE

Guys,

A few meet attendees have mentioned a post meet get together and I think that it would be great to have an informal drink/meal together.

So... how about convening here around 18:00 as it's nearby to the event venue and Travelodge -  http://www.menzieshotels.co.uk/hotels/south-central/cambridge/how-to-find-us/

The restaurant is open to non guests and the sample menu looks pretty good - http://www.menzieshotels.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/Menzies-Cambridge-Sample-Menu.pdf

I'll need to ascertain potential numbers and book a table(s) - so please shout if you're interested in dining.

Cheers,

Andy. 

I'll have to have a think about this. £20 for food is allot for me, despite how well worded their descriptions are.

Aug 20, 2012 at 3:05 AM Post #1,138 of 1,381
I personally would be very grateful to try out the pa2v2. Audio is a new hobby for me (and one that is taking all my time) but i haven't got a portable amp for 2 reason, firstly money doesn't come exactly easy to me...and also I have read around that portable amps might not be worth the money? So I thought my money would be better spent getting good headphones instead of dividing my money up for both an amp and headphones. I currently use a saunas clip+ and some vmoda m80s, which is as far as my budget currently takes me. So like I said the pa2v2 would me greatly appreciated :)

Aug 20, 2012 at 7:03 AM Post #1,139 of 1,381
geeta182,

I think you've chosen a really good pair of headphones.  I haven't heard the PA2V2 so I can't comment on how well it works with the M80s, but from my experience the M80s don't change as much with a portable amp.  Compared to the clip+ though you'd probably have a much cleaner output so it definitely wouldn't hurt!

Some headphones respond a lot more to what's driving them, so it's really hard to know in advance.  I'm really interested in trying a bunch of different setups at the meet to find the best pairings (for my tastes).

Chase

Aug 20, 2012 at 8:53 AM Post #1,140 of 1,381
geeta182,

As the sole entrant thus far, I'd say that you're in a pretty good position to receive the amp!

Cheers,

Andy. 

Quote:
I personally would be very grateful to try out the pa2v2. Audio is a new hobby for me (and one that is taking all my time) but i haven't got a portable amp for 2 reason, firstly money doesn't come exactly easy to me...and also I have read around that portable amps might not be worth the money? So I thought my money would be better spent getting good headphones instead of dividing my money up for both an amp and headphones. I currently use a saunas clip+ and some vmoda m80s, which is as far as my budget currently takes me. So like I said the pa2v2 would me greatly appreciated
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back