UK 2012 Head-Fi Meet - September 15th Cambridgeshire.
Aug 16, 2012 at 3:44 AM Post #1,096 of 1,381
Mattyhew,

Try David (sales@mains-cables-r-us.co.uk) at http://www.mains-cables-r-us.co.uk/ as he's very knowledgeable about all things cable and mains related. 

Cheers,

Andy.

Quote:
Quick Question, does any1 know where I can get a high quality IEC Kettle plug (230v)? Since Ive noticed that some give me static through my amp? 

Last chance to win the opportunity to give this lovely gentleman a lift!! :p

Need a lift back to the East Midlands area, either on Friday or Saturday. whichever works for me :) (Just further up north would be great be a help) 

Aug 16, 2012 at 5:36 AM Post #1,097 of 1,381
Aug 16, 2012 at 6:16 AM Post #1,098 of 1,381
Well crikey, I go off on a train voyage across Europe, Siberia and Asia to Japan for one and a half months and I come back to find that you've all been given £5000 worth of prizes out of Andy's pocket whilst I've been gone. I've also had confirmation of my first choice university place today, so I can confirm that I'll definitely be able to attend the meet with no clashing of dates.
Whilst in Japan I picked up a K550 I'll be bringing along, as well as a number of exciting Japanese CDs. I think I'll have to sort my playlists into 'Non-offensive,' 'Offensive,' and 'Very Offensive' depending on how Japanese they are...

Aug 16, 2012 at 6:22 AM Post #1,099 of 1,381
Aug 16, 2012 at 6:36 AM Post #1,100 of 1,381
Quote:
as well as a number of exciting Japanese CDs. I think I'll have to sort my playlists into 'Non-offensive,' 'Offensive,' and 'Very Offensive' depending on how Japanese they are...

one day we'll get away from all the PC madness and re-invent punk... long live Johnny Rotten
beerchug.gif

Aug 16, 2012 at 8:31 AM Post #1,101 of 1,381
Quote:
Well crikey, I go off on a train voyage across Europe, Siberia and Asia to Japan for one and a half months and I come back to find that you've all been given £5000 worth of prizes out of Andy's pocket whilst I've been gone. I've also had confirmation of my first choice university place today, so I can confirm that I'll definitely be able to attend the meet with no clashing of dates.
Whilst in Japan I picked up a K550 I'll be bringing along, as well as a number of exciting Japanese CDs. I think I'll have to sort my playlists into 'Non-offensive,' 'Offensive,' and 'Very Offensive' depending on how Japanese they are...

Wow, sounds like an awesome trip! Congratulations on getting your first university choice.

Aug 16, 2012 at 8:34 AM Post #1,102 of 1,381
Quote:
Quick Question, does any1 know where I can get a high quality IEC Kettle plug (230v)? Since Ive noticed that some give me static through my amp? 

Last chance to win the opportunity to give this lovely gentleman a lift!! :p

Need a lift back to the East Midlands area, either on Friday or Saturday. whichever works for me :) (Just further up north would be great be a help) 

What makes you think it's the power cable which is causing the static? I don't see how a mains lead could cause this personally. Are you sure you haven't got a ground loop issue? If you can describe the symptoms in more detail there may be alternative solutions (i.e. cheaper!).

Aug 16, 2012 at 8:36 AM Post #1,103 of 1,381
Quote:
SpudHarris,

I think that the consensus is to book a Travelodge room for the Saturday night, but guys please feel free to correct me if you've booked the Friday night instead!

We don't want Spud to be lonely!  
basshead.gif

Cheers,

Andy.

If I book a room it'll likely be for the Saturday night as that's when the post meet social is.

Aug 16, 2012 at 10:05 AM Post #1,104 of 1,381
Quote:

What makes you think it's the power cable which is causing the static? I don't see how a mains lead could cause this personally. Are you sure you haven't got a ground loop issue? If you can describe the symptoms in more detail there may be alternative solutions (i.e. cheaper!).

Well because when i swapped it out for another kettle lead i had it went away ^^. Since i thought they were all pretty much identical, i had a big box of them from old PSUs etc. 2 of them gave static/interference while the one im using now doesnt :).

What leads do you guys use? Or would i £5 one from amazon suffice for me?

Aug 16, 2012 at 12:12 PM Post #1,105 of 1,381
a bit of topic but I really rate my Sony Walkman Z1070 64gb (I just bought another, I've now got two), so this may be of interest to someone...

Anyone wanting a non-volume capped version of the Sony Walkman Z1060 32gb... I know of a US-Version that could be up for sale.

This is a lightly used Z1060 with no scratches or chips on the front or sides, a couple of minute marks on the back which is from having it on a desk (bit unavoidable if you ain't got a case when you buy one & cases were hard to get until about two month ago), a deal can be done on Customs so you won't be hit for horrendous taxes, shipping from the USA will be tracked.

pm me if your interested in the next day or so and I'll put you in touch with this respected Head-Fi'er direct (he is doing this as a favour to me as he can easily sell it in the USA).

Aug 16, 2012 at 12:16 PM Post #1,106 of 1,381
Quote:

Well because when i swapped it out for another kettle lead i had it went away ^^. Since i thought they were all pretty much identical, i had a big box of them from old PSUs etc. 2 of them gave static/interference while the one im using now doesnt :).

What leads do you guys use? Or would i £5 one from amazon suffice for me?

I just use what came with my Amp, some swear by special electrical cables but I've yet to hear a earth-shattering difference... maybe I need to upgrade my ears.

Aug 16, 2012 at 2:02 PM Post #1,108 of 1,381
Quote:

Well because when i swapped it out for another kettle lead i had it went away ^^. 

A logical conclusion! 
smile.gif

Still odd though. Were they all earthed leads (i.e. three metal prongs/receptors at each end?). Did you use the same socket each time? Is the connection snug/secure with all of them?

Was your equipment in the same position each time? Sometimes the feet are connected to the chasis earth and if they touch another grounded chasis that can cause problems I believe. A piece of paper between stacked equipment normally solves this.

If you have a kettle lead and the interference goes away that's what I would use. I just use old computer power cables with all of my equipment too.

Aug 16, 2012 at 4:28 PM Post #1,109 of 1,381
Erm, am I missing something blatantly obvious here?

Cheers,

Andy.

Aug 16, 2012 at 4:30 PM Post #1,110 of 1,381
Huh,

Please explain the £5000 prize thingy as I know nothing about it!

Cheers,

Andy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back