UK 2012 Head-Fi Meet - September 15th Cambridgeshire.
Mar 14, 2012 at 4:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1,381

smial1966

Headphoneus Supremus
Raffle prizes list directly below (Updated 14/09/12) only £2 a ticket!

HiFiMan HE-400 re-cabled with Toxic cable - courtesy of Frank (Toxic Cables)
3 silver cable iPod/iPhone LOD's (or mini to mini) - courtesy of Frank (Toxic Cables)
Schiit Lyr                                                      - courtesy of Mark (Highendworkshop)
Unspecified prize from Just Audio range     - courtesy of Justin (Just Audio)
Unspecified prize from Amp City portfolio    - courtesy of Zain (Amp City)
Various accessory prizes listed in post 680    - courtesy of David (MainsCablesRUs)
12 pairs of earphones                                   - courtesy of Jack (Hisoundaudio)
3 Mullard Magic mugs (collectors items)       - courtesy of Steve (Mullard Magic)
Violectric V90 headphone amp             - courtesy of Fried (Violectric by Lake People)
Solo Ultra-Linear Diamond Edition headphone amp - courtesy of Graham Slee
RSA Emmeline "The Tomahawk" headphone amp - courtesy of me (Handsome chap) 
Ultimate Silver Stream USB cable             - courtesy of Alister (Artisan Silver Cable)
Halide Design DAC HD                                 - courtesy of Halide Design
Matrix Rip USB DAC                                     - courtesy of Matrix-D
Epiphany Acoustics EHP-O2                          - courtesy of Oliver (Epiphany Acoustics)
Epiphany Acoustics EHP-O2D                      - courtesy of Oliver (Epiphany Acoustics)
Epiphany Acoustics Atratus interconnects  - courtesy of Oliver (Epiphany Acoustics)
Arcam rPAC USB DAC/Headphone Amplifier - courtesy of an anonymous donor
KNS 8400 Studio Headphones                       - courtesy of KRK Systems 
Bottlehead Crack with Speedball upgrade    - courtesy of Bottlehead
Klutz Design headphone stand      - courtesy of Klutz Design & Frank (Toxic Cables)
Orb Audio JADE to go JAPAN                          - courtesy of Orb Audio Japan
Rothwell The River RCA interconnects           - courtesy of Rothwell Audio 
Audio Technica ATH-EW9                               - courtesy of my friend Tim 
Philips Fidelio L1                                              - courtesy of TBA 
Audiotrak DR. DAC2 DX Muses Edition            - courtesy of Gyrocom 
TeddyDAC                                                        - courtesy of Teddy Pardo
Bespoke headphone stand                             - courtesy of Oscars Audio
Exquisite headphone stand (details post 691)  - courtesy of Frank (Toxic Cables)
Human Audio Tabla pico                                 - courtesy of Human Audio
Lindemann Audio USB/DDC 24/192                 - courtesy of Lindemann Audio
GermanMAESTRO GMP 8.35 D                     - courtesy of Robin (hifiheadphones) 
Final Audio Design Adagio V                      - courtesy of Robin (hifiheadphones)
AiAiAi `Capital' headphones (3 pairs)           - courtesy of AiAiAi headphones
Audio GD NFB-10.2 headphone amp/DAC     - courtesy of Frank (Toxic Cables)
Audinst HUD-Mini & AMP-HP                          - courtesy of Audinst Inc. 
Morrow Audio MA1 interconnects (burnt in 10 days) - courtesy of Morrow Audio
VIRTUS-01 headphone amp/Osram valves - courtesy of White Bird Amplification 
AKG 701 headphone (NOS)    

Edit - EQUIPMENT LIST BELOW (Updated 14/09/12)

Last years head-fi meet in London was such a fantastic event and as loads of people have expressed an interest in attending one this year, I've decided to organise a meet this September.

Provisionally retailers can arrive at 09:00 and attendees with a lot of gear to setup at 09:30. Doors open to everyone else at 10:00 with the raffle draw taking place at 16:00. The meet winds down from 16:30 onwards with it finishing promptly at 17:00.

Bar Hill village hall, which has good access to the M11 and A1(M) via the A14 has been booked for Saturday 15th September. There is ample onsite parking, tables/chairs, a kitchen, spacious hall and accessible toilets. The hall address is - 171 The Spinney, Bar Hill, Cambridge, CB23 8SU. The hall is accessed via a residential area, so Sat Nav users enter the postcode and 171 The Spinney to pinpoint the exact location. 

Bar Hill village is well served by buses from Cambridge bus depot. The Citi 5 (operated by Stagecoach) leaves every 20 minutes on Saturdays. The closest stop to the village hall is near Apple Trees.

Relatively inexpensive accommodation is available at the nearby Travelodge for £32.50 per night (priced on 25/05/12). Details in thread post 565. 

Due to generous sponsorship from Justin (Just Audio), Mark Dolbear (Highend Workshop), Zain (Amp City), Frank (Toxic Cables), David (Mains Cables R Us), Jack (Hisoundaudio) and Mark (Item Audio) this event will now be FREE entry. There is still room for one additional distributor/reseller to attend as any additional sponsorship will be donated to charity. N.B. There are no more distributor/reseller places available, however, it may be possible to have your equipment demonstrated by me at the meet. So please PM me if you're interested in this option. 

My aspiration is to make this a free event subject to costs being covered by distributor/retailers who'll pay to exhibit their equipment. However, if sponsorship isn't forthcoming there will be an entrance charge of between £2 to £3 to cover the cost of hall hire.

Please PM me your expressions of interest and what equipment you'll be bringing along. I will regularly update this thread with further information.

Cheers.

Andy.  

P.S. Expressions of assistance greatly appreciated! 

Equipment that attendees have indicated that they'll bring to the meet -

Amplification:

ALO Continental Mk 1 & Mk 2
ALO Rx MK3 
ALO The National 
AMB M3
Analog Design Labs Svetlana 2
Audinst AMP-HP (modded with MUSES02 op amp)
Bottlehead Crack OTL (Speedball upgrade)
Burson HA-160
Burson HA-160D
Cary Audio HH-1
Cavalli Liquid Lightning
C.H.AMP
Digizoid Z02.3
EarSonics 911
Earmax amp
Fostex HP-P1
Fiio E7
Fiio E11
Fiio E17
Fi-Quest (Maxxed out)
Furutech ADL Cruise
Graham Slee - Voyager, Novo Discreet & Solo Ultra Linear Diamond Edition
HeadAmp Blue Hawaii SE - TWO, YES TWO!
Headroom Micro Amp
HiFiMan EF5 & EF6
HiFiDIY Panda
iBasso P4 - DB2/PB2
Icon Audio HP8 MKII 
JDS Labs C421 
JustAudio uHA-120
Kenwood KA3020
KingRex HQ1
KS Projects X5
Little Dot Mk III (various tubes)
Mapletree Audio Ear+ HD Super II 
Meier Audio Corda Swing
Objective2
RSA SR-71
RWA Isabellina 
Schiit Asgard, Lyr, Valhalla  (DEFINITELY new products too)
Triad Audio Lisa III XP
TTVJ Apex Peak
Violectric - complete product range! 
Woo Audio WA6 (various tubes)

Headphones:

AKG 550
AKG K240DF (600 ohm) 
Alessandro MS-1
Audeze LCD-2 (various cables) 
Audio Technica ATH-W1000X
Audio Technica ATH-ES10
Beyerdynamic DT1350
Beyerdynamic T1
Beyerdynamic T5p 
Beyerdynamic DT880 (600 ohm) 
Beyerdynamic DT990 (32 ohm)
B&W P3 (Black)
Denon D5000 (stock) 
Denon AH-D2000 (modded & woodied)
Denon/Lawton Audio MD5000 
Denon AH-D7000
*Etymotic HF3
Grado RS125i (Ohrenholz modded)
Grado RS1i
Grado PS500
HiFiMan HE-300
HiFiMan HE-400
HiFiMan HE-5LE
HiFiMan HE-6 (x2)
HiFiMan HE-500
HiFiMan RE-ZERO 
JVC DX1000 (balanced)
KODA^2 (think Thunderpants turbo-charged)
Magnum modded SR325i (Black Dragon cable)
Philips Fidelio L1
Pioneer Monitor 10
Sennheiser HD25-1 (x2)
Sennheiser HD595
Sennheiser HD600
Sennheiser HD650
Sennheiser HD700 (pre-ordered)
Sennheiser RS180 (wireless) 
Sony MDR-D77
Stax O2 Mk1 
Stax SR-009
*IEM's - http://www.head-fi.org/t/607311/my-iem-round-up-multiple-earphones-compared
Ultrasone Edition 8
Ultrasone Pro900
V-Moda M-80
*Westone UM2 

* Denotes EARPHONES.

Sources:

dg Audiolabs Tranquility usb dac
Altmann Tera-Player
Arcam rDAC
Arcam rPAC
Audiolab M-DAC 
Audiotrak Dr. DAC2 DX MUSES 
B&O Beosound 8
CEntrance DACport
Cowon Z2
Cypher Labs Algorythm Solo (CLAS)
exaSound e18 DAC
Eximus DP-1
Fiio E10
Halide Design DAC HD v1.0
Headroom Micro DAC
HiFiMan HM-801 & HM-602
Human Audio Muto Dac/Tabla interface
Iriver H120
Iriver H340 (Rockboxed) 
KAO Audio UD2C-HP 
LessLoss Laminar Streamer (subject to release)
Lindemann USB-DAC 24/192
Marantz 2385 (or the receiver below)
MacBook Air/Pro
Matrix Rip USB dac 
Musical Fidelity V-DAC II (probably with V-PSU II)
NAD M51 DAC
Pioneer SX-1980 (a behemoth)
Pro-Ject CD Box 
Pure i-20 
Resonessence Labs Invicta DAC 
Rega RP3 (if John is feeling brave
Schiit Bi Frost 
Sony Z1060 Walkman 
Sony WM-Z (Z1060) 
RWA iMod (x2) 
Teac UD-H01 DAC/AMP
Teddy Pardo TeddyDAC 
Zune

Miscellaneous:

Cables & other kit from Mains Cables R Us
Head-Fi Tuning Fuses
LessLoss BlackBody
Omega headphone stands

Mar 14, 2012 at 5:05 PM Post #3 of 1,381
Ooh. I really enjoyed last year's and I'd be very interested in attending this one. It's pretty close to me and is before I go off to university, so no problems there.

Thanks Mark for tweeting about it.
tongue.gif

Mar 14, 2012 at 5:30 PM Post #4 of 1,381
I'm game! It would be brilliant to catch up with everyone again and try out more gear! Such a great bunch of people came along last time and I'm sure this meet will be just the same.

I can bring along my Grado RS1i's and AMB M³. Source wise, if I'm feeling brave enough I'll bring along my upgraded Rega RP3 and some vinyl (my new pride and joy 
smile.gif
), otherwise it'll be the DAC_I with a whole bunch of lossless audio loaded onto my computer.

If people can add this link to their signatures it should help spread the word.

Can't wait!

Mar 14, 2012 at 5:49 PM Post #5 of 1,381
And the ball is well and truly rolling...

To avoid too much equipment duplication please indicate what gear you'll be bringing along - of course you don't have to bring kit as we just want to see you. 
happy_face1.gif

I'm anticipating a lot more computer audio this year, so to kick things off I'll bring my KAO Audio UD2C-HP USB DAC and Eximus DP-1.

Cheers,

Andy. 

Mar 15, 2012 at 6:31 AM Post #6 of 1,381
We will be fed and watered...

A fellow member has agreed to provide basic catering at low cost, so there'll be hot/cold beverages and snacks. 

I will also bring my Magnum modded SR325i and KODA^2 headphones - think Thunderpants on heat for the latter. 

Keep posting to raise the meet profile and spread the word via Facebook and Twitter if you use them.

Cheers,

Andy. 

Mar 15, 2012 at 4:00 PM Post #7 of 1,381
OK guys so here's the thing...

Hiring the hall and other incidentals will cost around £200, so do I peruse sponsorship and charge distributors/resellers £50 to attend and limit the commercial element to four stalls, thereby covering my expenditure? Or do I ask distributors/resellers to donate an item from their stock and organise a raffle for attendees with the donated items as prizes? The latter option would mean charging £2-£3 for admission.

Incidentally, any 'profits' from the event will be donated to charity. So please suggest possible charities and I'll donate any surplus monies to the charity that gets the most 'votes'.

Keep spreading the word about the meet guys - I've started a forum thread on computer audio.

Cheers,

Andy.

Mar 15, 2012 at 4:31 PM Post #8 of 1,381
Good news on the catering, that's a major bonus!

I don't mind either way. It would be great to have some suppliers at the meet, as they usually have a lot of good gear to bring. If they're willing to pay toward the event, which means it's free for head-fi'ers, then that's brilliant. Otherwise a £3 admission fee is nothing for what will be a very enjoyable day!

Mar 15, 2012 at 5:14 PM Post #9 of 1,381
Fellow enthusiasts...

I don't want to make spurious posts for the sake of it, but if I start to approach resellers/distributors for sponsorship and point them to this thread, there needs to be more folks expressing an interest and listing what equipment they'll bring to the meet.

I've tried to be fair and selected a fairly central locality with good links to both northern and southern motorways, so please be more vocal and contribute to this thread.

Cheers,

Andy.

Mar 15, 2012 at 5:23 PM Post #10 of 1,381
I believe that the parlance is BUMP.

popcorn.gif

Mar 15, 2012 at 5:59 PM Post #11 of 1,381
Hi Andy

I am definitely interested.

What is the address so I can check out for somewhere to stay?  (hopefully a village pub with real ale)

Will bring LCD-2 r1 / SAA Endorphin cable, db Audiolabs Tranquility usb dac, KS Projects X5 amp and my trusty macbook.

John

Mar 16, 2012 at 4:01 AM Post #14 of 1,381
Ian,

The ALO Continental is a great amp, powerful, non-fatiguing and slightly syrupy sounding but in a good way. I have the Mk1 version and love it. 

Cheers,

Andy. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back