UK 2012 Head-Fi Meet - September 15th Cambridgeshire.
May 23, 2012 at 2:44 PM Post #556 of 1,381
Quote:
JoetheArachnid,

Pity the poor low output valve amplifiers at the meet and stick to the sold state stuff with these cans - I beseech thee. 

eek.gif

Cheers,

Andy. 

My understanding is it's typically the other way around; OTL valve amplifiers are better with high impedance headphones as they 'do voltage better than current' and typically have a higher output impedance to match such headphones.

May 23, 2012 at 4:21 PM Post #559 of 1,381
jr41,

Which undoubtedly proves that my event organisational skills far outweigh my technical knowledge. 

wink_face.gif

Cheers,

Andy.

Quote:

My understanding is it's typically the other way around; OTL valve amplifiers are better with high impedance headphones as they 'do voltage better than current' and typically have a higher output impedance to match such headphones.

May 23, 2012 at 4:31 PM Post #561 of 1,381
SpudHarris,

Great accommodation find! I reckon that this hotel is less than 1km away and easily within walking distance.

So guys, those of you interested in staying here, please PM me soonest and I'll enquire whether a group booking discount can be arranged.

Cheers,

Andy. 

Quote:
I'm thinking of stopping over on the 14th. They have rooms here if anyone else is intereseted. It's practically on the doorstep!

May 25, 2012 at 5:15 AM Post #562 of 1,381
Raffle update...

To give you guys some idea of how the raffle prize categorisation will work, the latest addition of a pair of 1 metre `The River' RCA interconnects by Rothwell Audio - http://www.rothwellaudioproducts.co.uk/html/rivers.html - will be deemed a category 3 prize. 

Higher value items e.g. the Bottlehead Crack (with Speedball upgrade) headphone amplifier will be deemed a category 1 prize. 

Middle value items e.g. the Arcam rPAC will be designated a category 2 prize. 

To reiterate, regardless of how many raffle tickets an attendee purchases, they can only win one category 1 prize. They can of course subsequently win a category 2 or 3 prize too. But prizes will be limited to a maximum of two per person. 

Lower category prizes e.g. the rPAC and a USB cable may be bundled together if there is obvious synergy between items.

Do you guys think that this is an equitable solution to balancing the desire to raise money for charity and ensuring that the prizes are widely distributed amongst attendees? 

Cheers,

Andy.

May 25, 2012 at 6:31 AM Post #563 of 1,381
I'm fine with that. I don't imagine anyone is going to go overboard with hoovering up tickets and the prize system is fair.

I've successfully got leave for the 15th so can confirm my attendance, along with a workmate. I'll confirm what equipment I'll be bringing when I've bought it (redundancies at work so don't want to buy stuff till I know my job's safe) - although as said the probability is that I will have a nice DAC and some portable stuff, so it would be optimal if someone would be kind enough to wedge the DAC between a laptop and some amplification as I use DACs between my desktop and active speakers. 

May 25, 2012 at 7:39 AM Post #564 of 1,381
hey guys,sorry the stax sr003 are off the books now, it cost a lot comparitively and i got an offer for a pair of HE-5 and a schitt Lyr for the same price. so, sorry about the stax, but i can bring the HE-5 and schitt lyr instead =)

not the 5 LE btw, the original wodden He-5

May 25, 2012 at 9:03 AM Post #565 of 1,381
Accommodation update

I've contacted the Menzies Hotel about a group booking discount. Due to the place already being fairly full on Saturday 15th September and to the fact that I'm unable to provide them with the exact number of rooms required, they basically said that no group discount would be available and quoted a room with breakfast price of £143. 

A much cheaper alternative is the Cambridge (Lolworth) Travelodge - http://www.travelodge.co.uk/hotels/42/Cambridge-Lolworth-hotel
The Travelodge is about 2km from the meet venue. I've just checked the price of a room for Saturday 15th September and it's £32.50

I suggest that meet attendees requiring accommodation book a room in the Travelodge and when numbers have been determined, I'll make a dinner reservation for us at the Menzies Hotel and we can enjoy a pleasant meal together.

Cheers,

Andy. 

Quote:
SpudHarris,

Great accommodation find! I reckon that this hotel is less than 1km away and easily within walking distance.

So guys, those of you interested in staying here, please PM me soonest and I'll enquire whether a group booking discount can be arranged.

Cheers,

Andy. 

May 25, 2012 at 11:45 AM Post #566 of 1,381
Quote:
Accommodation update

I've contacted the Menzies Hotel about a group booking discount. Due to the place already being fairly full on Saturday 15th September and to the fact that I'm unable to provide them with the exact number of rooms required, they basically said that no group discount would be available and quoted a room with breakfast price of £143. 

A much cheaper alternative is the Cambridge (Lolworth) Travelodge - http://www.travelodge.co.uk/hotels/42/Cambridge-Lolworth-hotel
The Travelodge is about 2km from the meet venue. I've just checked the price of a room for Saturday 15th September and it's £32.50

I suggest that meet attendees requiring accommodation book a room in the Travelodge and when numbers have been determined, I'll make a dinner reservation for us at the Menzies Hotel and we can enjoy a pleasant meal together.

Cheers,

Andy. 

Sounds like a good plan.

May 25, 2012 at 4:24 PM Post #567 of 1,381
I will probably stay on the Friday night but travel back after the meet. Not sure yet which is gonna suit me better yet.

On a side note reference the raffle...... I think the way Andy is proposing to do it is a fair way to ensure everyone gets a fair chance. Hats off to Andy for doing such a great job for us all
beerchug.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back