ugly soldering, but good sounding, the ghetto clou repair pics (large files)
Jun 14, 2003 at 6:13 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

usc goose

Headphoneus Supremus
to summarize, right channel started cutting out, opened my cables up, solder of right channel was busted as was return channel, did some quick and dirty soldering, isolated with lots of electrical tape and protected with paper clips.
biggrin.gif
sounds great now.

DSC00074.JPG

ugh

DSC00075.JPG

solder return

DSC00077.JPG

bridge gap with bit of speaker cable, after finishing this i wrapped each channel in electrical tape but those pictures didn't really come out that well.

DSC00081.JPG

slide on inner cover, re-wrap in outer

DSC00083.JPG

extra protection

DSC00084.JPG

whoop, there it is.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 14, 2003 at 6:36 AM Post #2 of 19
Now that looks like my kind of DIY project
biggrin.gif
Messy and covered with tons of electrical tape
wink.gif

-dd3mon

Jun 14, 2003 at 2:44 PM Post #5 of 19
Quote:

Originally posted by usc goose
to summarize, right channel started cutting out, opened my cables up, solder of right channel was busted as was return channel, did some quick and dirty soldering, isolated with lots of electrical tape and protected with paper clips.
biggrin.gif
sounds great now.

Makers of $1000+ interconnects are reaching for their bottles of Mylanta in response!

biggrin.gif

Jun 14, 2003 at 2:49 PM Post #6 of 19
Thing is, if you're going to do this... might as well upgrade the whole cable. That's what I did.
biggrin.gif

Jun 14, 2003 at 3:54 PM Post #7 of 19
Hi,

Man, that is bad. What happened? Did your amp have to protect you from Arnold-gone-Terminator?

I must agree with Lan. It is probably far more easier. What I usually do is that keep the cable and use it for hook up wire.

Current soldering job looks like it's gonna fail sometime soon ...

Tomo

Jun 14, 2003 at 10:29 PM Post #8 of 19
took me 5 minutes and sounds like new. i'm happy. fails again, i'll consider more options. whats teflon tape for? i hate the way it looks.

Jun 14, 2003 at 10:58 PM Post #9 of 19
Quote:

took me 5 minutes and sounds like new. i'm happy. fails again, i'll consider more options. whats teflon tape for? i hate the way it looks.

You really don't know what teflon tape is used for? Plumbing joints.

Stu

Jun 14, 2003 at 11:40 PM Post #10 of 19
i guess my question was more, is it really worth it to use teflon? does it get that hot in there or what? or is it a dielectric issue.

Jun 16, 2003 at 8:40 PM Post #12 of 19
well you know "they is some po' folk out in the world." not all of us can cough up for a new cardas every time something bad happens.

where's that team broke application?

on second though. i'm starting team ghetto diy. who's coming with me?

Jun 17, 2003 at 12:43 AM Post #13 of 19
Quote:

*shakes head* i did some ghetto stuff but um... it's hidden under the techflex and heatshrink
tongue.gif
. Gotta love the paper "dielectric"
eek.gif

Jun 17, 2003 at 10:40 PM Post #14 of 19
Quote:

count me in...
when I made my CMOY, I really wanted a wooden enclosure but I couldn't find anything in a store that I wanted to use, so I decided to make it by myself and w/ a friend. ghetto indeed...
ghetto-amp3.jpg

ghetto-amp4.jpg

I like to call it the birdhouse.

cool.gif
cool.gif
cool.gif

Jun 18, 2003 at 3:02 AM Post #15 of 19
Wow, ghetto indeed!

Once my adapters get here, I'll post pics of the inside of my current project.........."squished" may be a little mild to describe it, tho........hehehe

Users who are viewing this thread

Back