UGH...Back to square one. Recently Bought m50s and Grados
Dec 18, 2012 at 12:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

draacor

New Head-Fier
Ok I apologize for anyone who told me not to get these but I actually have beef with them for different reasons than what some have said.  I love the Grados SR80i but my wife doesn't lol.  She thinks that they will wake up our little one being that I mainly use them in the room next to his.  To me they work great for video games and TV shows but I like them a little loud and they do cause quite a bit of ambient noise to people around me.  I don't think it would wake him up but to appease the wife I will return them as I just bought them on Amazon.

Second.  I also picked up a pair of ATHM50s for listening while in bed and for work.  What I found was the sound to be awesome, maybe because I'm relatively new to Hifi Audio or not I'm not sure.  But I have a big gripe with them.  Earlier i said how much I enjoy them but when I work i have these on for hours at a time and man do they hurt.  After an hour or so my ears sweat and there is a lot of clamping pressure on my head.   I also thought getting a straight cable would be great cause then i can hook it to the TV and sit on the couch or in bed.  Well it turns out the cable is still too short for this so I would need an extension cable anyway.  And at work the cable is a little too cumbersome.  One thing I didnt expect is how much I do enjoy the bass of these headphones though.  I listen to all kinds of music and mostly acoustic stuff and soundtracks, however I do enjoy when bass heavy music comes on and I can really feel it.

So basically at this point I'm ready to return both sets and possibly get something better?  I cant be the only one who has to go through this to get the ones they like?? I really do wish i could have tried these before ordering them but no place in town has these except bose and beats.

1.  Has to be closed with little sound leakage to please the wife :)
2.  Has to be comfortable for long wear as I use them for work
3.  Detachable cable would be nice but not required, maybe a coiled cable then?
4.  Punchy bass would be a plus
5.  Price range no more than 250. - I have 250 to spend, I want the best i can get not necessarily best bang for the buck, 250 is allocated to the headphones.
6.  I really prefer not to have to use an amp.  I know from reading this site that most benefit more from an amp but I dont want to not be able to enjoy the headphones without one either.

One set I have been looking at that meets almost all of these are the AKG K550? Any thoughts?  Someone recommended the AKG 271 MKII in the past but I read a lot that there isn't much bass to them, after listening to the M50s I think I may need something with about as much bass.

I'm not looking for the most accurate reproduction of sound as I am not in a studio making music or anything.  What I am looking for is the most comfortable headphone that is fun to listen to for around $250.

Dec 18, 2012 at 1:09 PM Post #2 of 9
Heya,

Look into:

Ultrasone HFI 780
Ultrasone PRO 750
AKG K167
AKG K550
Beyer DT770 PRO 80ohm
Sony MDR1R
Mr Speakers Mad Dogs
Brainwavz HM5

Get an extension cable.
Loosen clamp pressure by bending the headband and/or leaving it stradling something like a couple of books.

Very best,

Dec 18, 2012 at 1:13 PM Post #3 of 9
Thanks for the response Mal,

So between the AKG K550 and the DT770 80ohms i do have a couple of questions.  Which ones are driven easier without an amp?  And which ones tend to be more comfortable for long periods?  Would i be better off getting the DT770 32ohms?

Dec 18, 2012 at 7:42 PM Post #5 of 9
Quote:
Thanks for the response Mal,

So between the AKG K550 and the DT770 80ohms i do have a couple of questions.  Which ones are driven easier without an amp?  And which ones tend to be more comfortable for long periods?  Would i be better off getting the DT770 32ohms?

Heya,

The K550 is efficient, will drive easier than the 80ohm DT770. I consider the Beyer more comfortable, but that's just me.

If you can get the DT770 32ohm that would be the best of both worlds; efficient and comfortable.

Very best,

Dec 18, 2012 at 8:06 PM Post #6 of 9
Quote:

Heya,

The K550 is efficient, will drive easier than the 80ohm DT770. I consider the Beyer more comfortable, but that's just me.

If you can get the DT770 32ohm that would be the best of both worlds; efficient and comfortable.

Very best,

Thanks Mal,  I ended up buying the K550s for 178 on Amazon.  Figured that was a great deal and hard to pass up.  The DT770s 32Ohms i couldn't find for less than 250.  

Dec 19, 2012 at 9:17 AM Post #8 of 9
Quote:
How did you manage to find K550 for $178? That's great!

They were Used - Like New on amazon and from Amazons warehouse deals.  Doesn't have any notes as to extra things missing or anything and coming from amazon they have the same return policy so I'm taking a chance since they are used but a very small one :)

Dec 19, 2012 at 12:43 PM Post #9 of 9
Quote:
They were Used - Like New on amazon and from Amazons warehouse deals.  Doesn't have any notes as to extra things missing or anything and coming from amazon they have the same return policy so I'm taking a chance since they are used but a very small one :)

Excellent buy.

I get a lot of headphones from amazon warehouse too, they've all been essentially new, just didn't come in the original box or something, and still had the return policy. It's great.

Enjoy!

Very best,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back